GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I remember seeing a sketch of the Tesla truck back before the current abomination was released for viewing and it was a normal looking truck with the typical Tesla styling. I felt the same way....like Musk was using a decoy and we would see something completely different when it actually came to fruition. Anything is possible, right?!?!?
I was hoping for this:

Not as lifted, but you et the point. This would be a hit...the CT OTOH, just feels like a social experiment where Musk is effing with us to see who would like anything with a Tesla badge on it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't have the hatred for the Aztek like many others do, I'm not sure why? Do I think it was a good looking vehicle? No, I don't think it was...it was for sure below average, but again, I don't have the total hatred for the design many others do.

There were plenty of examples where people did things to them (larger wheels for example) where it actually looked pretty good. That tells me it wasn't simply the design of the car, but rather how it was executed (too small wheels, too much cladding, etc)

Comparing the Aztek to the Cybertruck.....I think the Cybertruck (at least in the form we have seen so far) is worse than the Aztek.
The cladding definitely killed it for me. If I remember correctly, Pontiac actually sold some Azteks without the body molding and it was definitely an improvement. The first Gen Avalanche had all the hideous cladding on it as well. That was definitely a terrible look.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
The cladding definitely killed it for me. If I remember correctly, Pontiac actually sold some Azteks without the body molding and it was definitely an improvement. The first Gen Avalanche had all the hideous cladding on it as well. That was definitely a terrible look.
I actually liked the Gen 1 Avalanche more w/ the cladding...it looked stupid without it. The Aztek had a bunch of other BS going on with it. It was conceived as this pioneering blend of utility and sportiness, but instead became a slant back, conventional door, narrow minivan, slathered in cladding with tiny economy car wheels. Too many hands got in that pot and somewhere along the way someone ended up putting chopped up hotdogs in the Gumbo.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I was hoping for this:

View attachment 64098

Not as lifted, but you et the point. This would be a hit...the CT OTOH, just feels like a social experiment where Musk is effing with us to see who would like anything with a Tesla badge on it.
Yes...to the best of my recollection the sketch was very similar to that. I think Musk is just ****ing with people because he can.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Yes...to the best of my recollection the sketch was very similar to that. I think Musk is just ****ing with people because he can.
It reminds me of the movie Pootie Tang where Pootie had this song called " " (no lyrics, no beat, no nothing, just minutes of silence) and people lost their damn minds praising him like he was some sort of musical genius. Musk is doing this to prove that no matter what **** he puts out people will love it just because it rocks a "T" on the front of it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
It reminds me of the movie Pootie Tang where Pootie had this song called " " (no lyrics, no beat, no nothing, just minutes of silence) and people lost their damn minds praising him like he was some sort of musical genius. Musk is doing this to prove that no matter what **** he puts out people will love it just because it rocks a "T" on the front of it.
haha....i forgot about Pootie Tang....now I need to go watch that movie again.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
It looks stupid, I wish it would flop. But I'm sure that a bunch of people will buy it because of the Tesla emblem. We'll see how long it survives once the market is saturated with EV trucks and the novelty has worn off.

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
I don't have the hatred for the Aztek like many others do, I'm not sure why? Do I think it was a good looking vehicle? No, I don't think it was...it was for sure below average, but again, I don't have the total hatred for the design many others do.
I always said, if the Rendezvous had come out first, the size/shape of the Aztek would have been an easier sell, and then it would have only been the angles to get over; that platform was very "stumpy" and combined with all the weird shapes and angles; "a bridge too far"..............

The thing that bugged me the most, was in the Rendezvous you had a nice center console, in the Aztek?.......

I think it was set up for a removeable cooler option or something, couldn't care less about that, I just wanted a nice place to put my junk and drinks.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
Speaking of Tesla Trucks, how are those Tesla Semi-Truck sales going?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts
It's not going to flop, they're going to sell like hotcakes.
It certainly is unconventional. Might go either way with the public. My money is on "flop."
I'm betting on a flop as well, after an initial surge in sales by/to all the dippy trippies that are always into the NEW-NOW-NEXT gotta have it thing just for the show.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I remember seeing a sketch of the Tesla truck back before the current abomination was released for viewing and it was a normal looking truck with the typical Tesla styling. I felt the same way....like Musk was using a decoy and we would see something completely different when it actually came to fruition. Anything is possible, right?!?!?
I thought the same thing but he has been hanging on to the joke for a while now so I’m getting worried. If you look at his 18 wheeler it looked so inovative and fresh making everything else in the market look 40 years old I figured they would do the same for the pickup truck. I keep holding out hope that will be the case.

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
If RAM has proven anything, there is tremendous opportunity to target new customers in the truck segment.
Not really, Ram has not increased its volume for years, it stays roughly within its box, other than 2019 when they seriously discounted the classic to inflate fleet sales, without breaking out figures.
In other words, they used the classic to go after what would have been Dakota and entry level sales.

·
Registered
18,146 Posts
I always said, if the Rendezvous had come out first, the size/shape of the Aztek would have been an easier sell, and then it would have only been the angles to get over; that platform was very "stumpy" and combined with all the weird shapes and angles; "a bridge too far"..............

The thing that bugged me the most, was in the Rendezvous you had a nice center console, in the Aztek?.......

I think it was set up for a removeable cooler option or something, couldn't care less about that, I just wanted a nice place to put my junk and drinks.
My Mom had the Rendezvous. I hated the styling, but, it was a very comfortable car to drive - I ended up liking it in spite of its looks.

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
Not really, Ram has not increased its volume for years, it stays roughly within its box, other than 2019 when they seriously discounted the classic to inflate fleet sales, without breaking out figures.
In other words, they used the classic to go after what would have been Dakota and entry level sales.
"Ram has not increased its volume for years"
- You must have fell out of your Celica and hit your head, seek help immediately.

Reactions: CJH and mgescuro

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
^ Yea; Ram posted 313K in 2012, and 537K in 2018.
That's a frickin' huge 'box'.
Lol....Not sure how you can do data analytics if you can't analyze data.
I like m-Buck, I know he bleeds GM blue, I'm OK with that, but sometimes he says the craziest "stuff".......

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
It's ugly, but do not underestimate The Cult.

I know a couple of members. These people really are a cult. Tesla and Musk can do absolutely nothing wrong in their eyes. And that's not a rip on the Tesla company. I wouldn't say that I'm a big fan, but that's based only on the styling, which outside of the Model S I don't care for. I am intrigued by the technology and impressed with the stats. But there are a lot of Tesla followers out there who are, well, just that: followers. He really is a cult figure to them.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

21 - 40 of 60 Posts