GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

1626405403812.png

CEO Elon Musk said Thursday in an exchange with fans on Twitter that there’s “always some chance” his company’s forthcoming Cybertruck will “flop.” Nonetheless, Musk plans to keep the Cybertruck “production design” almost exactly the same as its show car — a giant metal trapezoid.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
"Always some chance" -> "Could flop"

Article title is a little clickbait-y...when you're outside in the snow in Canada there's always a chance you can get mauled by a polar bear, but saying "you could get mauled by a polar bear" makes it seem a little more likely. I'm not clicking on that ****.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
He must have seen my 3rd grade scribble notebook. Everything I drew looked exactly like that.
Same here...my artwork, which calling it artwork is a huge stretch, resembled something familiar. Wish I would have known then that I could have had a future in automotive design.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It certainly is unconventional. Might go either way with the public. My money is on "flop."

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
It's not going to flop, they're going to sell like hotcakes.
Maybe for the first year or two, but beyond that I don't think it has staying power. It reminds me of the design of the Scion Xb's. They were a box on wheels and they were popular for a few years, but the novelty wore off and they were discontinued after the 2nd gen. The Cyber truck has no style...its just a trapezoid on wheels

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Nah...it's still the Aztek, that aint gonna ever get overturned.
I don't have the hatred for the Aztek like many others do, I'm not sure why? Do I think it was a good looking vehicle? No, I don't think it was...it was for sure below average, but again, I don't have the total hatred for the design many others do.

There were plenty of examples where people did things to them (larger wheels for example) where it actually looked pretty good. That tells me it wasn't simply the design of the car, but rather how it was executed (too small wheels, too much cladding, etc)

Comparing the Aztek to the Cybertruck.....I think the Cybertruck (at least in the form we have seen so far) is worse than the Aztek.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'll be surprised if it's able to retain that shape with regulations out there already for crash and pedestrian things.

I don't think the Cybertruck will appeal to the core of the truck market - it's going to appeal to more the casual truck buyer and/or someone that may not buy a truck/wants it to say they have a cybertruck. The Tesla-ites may give it good sales at first, but the question is the longevity of those sales.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I'll be surprised if it's able to retain that shape with regulations out there already for crash and pedestrian things.

I don't think the Cybertruck will appeal to the core of the truck market - it's going to appeal to more the casual truck buyer and/or someone that may not buy a truck/wants it to say they have a cybertruck. The Tesla-ites may give it good sales at first, but the question is the longevity of those sales.
Right...teh Tesla-rati will buy the first few in droves to show their status, then after that, the more conservative (not Political) buyers will go to the Mainstream EV Trucks (lightning, Silverado (I say they should call it the Transformer tm), Ram 1500e). I even see the RIvian R1T doing better than the CT at the end of the day. The CT is too polarizing and I don't see how it can be repaired after an accident, it's just all around impractical.

As I said before, I'm holding on to hope that Musk is just effing with us...and that they're going to do a normal truck

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
My opinion - they will appeal to a new breed of truck buyer, including younger buyers. The diehard Ford / GM / Ram truck buyers will stay loyal.

Bingo.
That's exactly what's gonna happen.
Tho, there's still a 50-50 chance that CyberTruck will burn thru its reservations and then experience a crash in demand.

No way to know until they're on the market.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Right...teh Tesla-rati will buy the first few in droves to show their status, then after that, the more conservative (not Political) buyers will go to the Mainstream EV Trucks (lightning, Silverado (I say they should call it the Transformer tm), Ram 1500e). I even see the RIvian R1T doing better than the CT at the end of the day. The CT is too polarizing and I don't see how it can be repaired after an accident, it's just all around impractical.

As I said before, I'm holding on to hope that Musk is just effing with us...and that they're going to do a normal truck
I remember seeing a sketch of the Tesla truck back before the current abomination was released for viewing and it was a normal looking truck with the typical Tesla styling. I felt the same way....like Musk was using a decoy and we would see something completely different when it actually came to fruition. Anything is possible, right?!?!?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts