GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The Scions are nice cars. They are "premium subcompacts" with excellent build quality, good rides (for their size), good use of interior space, quirky styling (take that as a good or bad), and good prices. Toyota has provided excellent aftermarket for them. Young people seem to like them. I was driving the first xA in my area a few months ago and teenagers noticed it.

There are many young adults, like Bigals, who want an American car with a V8 and rear-wheel drive, but they're not the majority. And (please, Bigals, don't take offense) they're not the progressive group who start trends. Scion vehicles are meant to be for modern young people who like to be on the cutting-edge...call them trendy. If you saw the swag Toyota gives out to the media (read "middle-aged men") to promote the Scion brand, you'd laugh. One-shoulder bookbags, Red Bull Energy Drinks, "house" music CDs, and (this year) clenched fist antenna toppers. Bigals, I can't imagine you being into these things. You're not the target audience for Scion (again, no offense).

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I don't know where you've been...but MiniDisc and DV players have been on the US market for years.

As for the BB and ist, they're not all that old. The ist (xA) is about a year old. The BB (xB) is a bit older, but far from ancient. And neither of these vehicles are "kei" cars.

For those who don't know, "kei" cars are regulated to be tiny (smaller than the xA and xB) and have engines no larger than 660cc. The market is quite popular because of tax and parking laws which favor these little cars. Toyota doesn't sell "kei" cars; Suzuki and Daihatsu (half owned by Toyota) are the largest players in this market.

The point of Scion is that these cars are different when compared to other products on the American market. Toyota is also selling an image, something that worked for Mini and (at one time) Saturn.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jan 22 2004, 07:23 AM
...But I wonder how hip/sick/cool Scions would be if people knew they really weren't new at all, and were never all that popular in Toyotas own home market.
They're new in America. That's all that matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.