GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Wow....im sorry man, but as u probably already guessed, ur tranny is done. You have a 100k mile powertrain warranty...use it lol. I know for a fact that the 06+ Impalas all have issues with tranny's overheating due to insufficiant cooling of the tranny fluid, especially the SS. GM actually recommends buying an aftermarket transmission cooler for it b/c the little auxilary cooler on the side of the radiator is not good enough. I've gotta take mine in too b/c its slaming into gear from a stand still almost as if its not downshifting to 1st gear when it comes to a stop and its slide shifting for about half a second before it catches a gear when it downshifts on acceleration. I changed my fluid and it smelled slightly burnt before i changed it....smell urs and i can almost garauntee u that it smells burnt as well......they also have torque converter failure problems too, so look out for that too.
That 100k warranty did not come until 2007 GM models.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
b/c yeah, u can make the FWD chassis handle better with that stuff, but nobody offers rear sway bars for this thing and its aggrivating when u go into a turn and front stays flat, but the rear of the car still wants to through its weight around. The rear sway bars are rediculously thin as well as the rubber bushings give way too much....its almost pointless having it there. With the suspension mods i have, it handles better a lot better than it did, but its still not satisfying for me. Which is why a RWD setup would be ideal.

And after researching a little, i found that they offer complete powertrain and drivetrain packages that are taken from C5 Vettes.....yeah...lol. It includes every thing except the body....motor, motor accessories, tranny, driveshaft, rear diff., all the way down to rims and tires.....8-9 grand total, but if i fabbed everything, id probably spend that much anyway.
Just floor the gas and stand on the brake when you want to go round a turn, then you'll have some fun :drive:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, i need a little help.....

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Impala LT w/3.5L V6 (213hp 215lb-ft torque). I have a STS single turbo kit, KYB AGX adjustible shocks, Eibach pro-kit springs, Comp Cams magnesium Rocker Arms, and manual boost controller, and HP Tuners dyno tune (300whp, 320lb-ft @ 7psi).

I want to do a RWD conversion on it, but i cant find a Transmission that bolts up the the bell housing bolt pattern on the 3.5L V6. The 4L60-E is the closest i could find within the GM selection of transmissions.

The current FWD 4T65 holds up to 400lb-ft of torque, so controlling the power i have is not a problem, it still shifts fine, but obviously, torque steer is annoying. I wanna make a "Real" Impala.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.
aye man i have a 2009 Chevy Impala Lt w/t 3.5L V6 wonder if you could let me know any of the places or websites you ve got ur aftermarket parts cuz i have not be able to find anything for my car

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
on another board I have a friend in Detroit that converted his 2004-2005 Monte SS to RWD, but he changed Motor and Tranny, and used a F-Body Rear end. He used a Ls2 Motor, and Tranny from a GTO I think, then added the F-Body rear end. U can google the conversion and you will see a bunch of them.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Dude go with your idea! I love seeing how all these backyard build up cars come together!. Sounds like alot of Negative Neds in this thread are looking for a car in a box and then will cry if the car doesn't come with fog lights!. If U have the know how,drive and determination make it happen!. U have me here in your corner rooting for unlike alot of these other lightweights that run anytime a little more than running their new car through a car wash.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I fail to see the point of going through with this.
If you have to ask nobody can explain the "why" too you.

Go for the conversion, I was thinking about doing the same thing with a '98 Bonneville I had.
In my case I was planning on a 3800/5sp from a F-body and rear suspension from a Cadillac Catera.

If you do start the project start a thread about it so we can watch the build.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts