GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I thought the expectation was somewhere between 7:35 and 7:40. So either the ZR1 beat all track records by 5-6 minutes or Edmunds has an error:
According to our shooters on the ground, the Corvette ZR1 was turning in lap times in the low 1:40s, a pace that puts it right up there with the world's fastest supercars. And given the damp conditions and rough, hand-timed numbers, you can expect to see even quicker official lap times when Chevrolet goes public with its Nürburgring data.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Looks good... rock solid over those bumps. Now get Jan behind the wheel.

5,934 Posts
Looks good... rock solid over those bumps. Now get Jan behind the wheel.
... or Ron Fellows.

Yea, that's gotta be a segment time. Otherwise, the ZR1 is setting the course record by several minutes. That can't be.

Be nice to get on official time in non-muggy, dry conditions.

Also, I wonder what they are running for rubber. Stock production rubber (ie run-flats), or after-market racing tires?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
the Corvette ZR1 was turning in lap times in the low 1:40s

With the ability to bend time and space....

The ZRI could have gone faster, but they were afraid that it might go back in time...

Lutz was quoted as saying that the new CAFE regs will kill the ability to offer the new Hyperdrive(TM) engines in cars....

They seem to have trouble finding test drivers with the nerve...One driver ended up being part of the ZR1's structure and the other went so fast he vanished from the material sphere...

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
That thing was FLYING...looked great.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
They're now saying 7:40 with the GT-R doing 7:38, but they figure the ZR-1 can shave at least 4 seconds off, maybe more. It'll be interesting to see the real numbers for sure.

·
Registered
804 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
"According to ZR1 Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter, the ZR1 will beat the track record for production cars at any road course in the world."

Thats a big statement! Things should get interesting!

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Problem is, they're all pointing to the same rumour. A lot of links to a single rumour doesn't a fact make.

The ability of folks to self-reference on the internet tends to drive me nuts, btw. I've watch folks point at articles espousing their points, and when you dig deeper you realize they're simply pointing at someone who agreed with them and linked back. Sigh.

Thus, as far as the GT-R goes -- and the ZR-1 -- we have to wait for real, official numbers before we know what any car has done. The GT-R with AWD will obviously have awesome grip and I can see it doing some pretty amazing things at the ring. And I also think Nissan is under reporting the HP.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The disputes over the GT-R's 7:38 are played-out and weak. It was backed up with a complete, unedited in-car video. Can't say that about any laptime claimed by any GM car with 'Ring "breeding." Heck, there was a 7:37.x lap by the GT-R but not promoted by Nissan (presumably since it wasn't a production-representative configuration).

The ZR1 will no doubt be faster than the "low 7:40s" that are being reported for it now. Conditions are pretty damp, and GM is bound to tweak a few things to dial it in.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The disputes over the GT-R's 7:38 are played-out and weak. It was backed up with a complete, unedited in-car video. Can't say that about any laptime claimed by any GM car with 'Ring "breeding." Heck, there was a 7:37.x lap by the GT-R but not promoted by Nissan (presumably since it wasn't a production-representative configuration).

The ZR1 will no doubt be faster than the "low 7:40s" that are being reported for it now. Conditions are pretty damp, and GM is bound to tweak a few things to dial it in.
And they'll have professional drivers do the laps. The video said the times were done by the engineers who may be fine drivers but won't pull every bit of the car out on the track like a pro will.

·
Premium Member
34,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tell you what, GM knows how to play this numbers game, remember how they waited with the Z06 until it was almost on the show floor before people found out just how bad butt it is...
this is going to put to shame the GT-R Spec V, (GT-R Spec V sounds sooo game console, rice , wiiish)

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
1 - 20 of 86 Posts