GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Do you guys remember when Lingenfelter came out with the 600 hp twin turbo Corvette? One of the mags was testing it and the car spun the tires a little on the 1-2 shift then settled down. The revs built and it came to the top of second gear and started to spin the tires again!!! Before the shift to 3rd.
That is off the charts!

·
Registered
710 Posts
From the preliminary Ford GT numbers I have seen,
it would not even take a 500-hp Z06 to stomp it, but
in Ford's defense, we will wait and see some real #s.

I'm not convinced Chevy would build a 625-hp TT C6.
This from a manuf who only made 345-hp from a 6.0
in an SS truck? Maybe Chevy turned a new leaf? :)
(I know, that was because of the C5 power limits...)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Nov 14 2003, 06:49 PM
I really don't see this being real, I could see it being produced but not for under 100K, and Limited production. Also 125 HP increase with twin turbos, seems pretty weak. But they also only get 8% gain in fuel efficiency with 1/2 the clyinders running.
Keep in mind that this thing would have to still be driveable so they're obviously not going to tune it for a 300hp increase......

As for the 8% better MPG, think about the small percentage of the time that you're actually at cruising speed, then think about how little fuel you're saving when you're engine is already operating at its peak efficiency level. Also if GM made it increase fuel efficiency by 25% I doubt it would be unnoticable during daily driving.

·
Registered
44,167 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Nov 17 2003, 09:42 AM
From the preliminary Ford GT numbers I have seen,
it would not even take a 500-hp Z06 to stomp it, but
in Ford's defense, we will wait and see some real #s.

I'm not convinced Chevy would build a 625-hp TT C6.
This from a manuf who only made 345-hp from a 6.0
in an SS truck? Maybe Chevy turned a new leaf? :)
(I know, that was because of the C5 power limits...)
I would love to see the 625HP Corvette made. Even if there are only 500 or so made annually.
All I care about is giving Cadillac maneuvering room when it comes to performance and competing with the M's and AMG's of the world. An XLR-V at 500HP would be all that much more real with the Vette at 625. :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
From what I've gathered, the pre-Lutz C6 was only supposed to have 380 HP or so, and the Z06 only around 450. Now they're 400 and 500 respectively. A 625 HP 'Vette is a lot more likely now than before. Hopefully they have LPE do the motor. :zippy:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wow... I didnt know they did cross breeds?

a ZL1 is a 427 cubic inch, all aluminum big block and recently there has been an all aluminum small block based off the LS Gen III engine CAMARO

a ZR1 is a DOHC Louts/GM powerd CORVETTE

IF they ever make a ZR1 Corvette, I hope they do go back to a DOHC set up to show the rest of the world, "Yeah, we can make one better then you."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Didn't Lotus Design it and Merc built It? And They did make Two ZL1 vettes in '69 I believe. One was set up for drag and the other set up for road course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it was designed by Lotus. In 1985 GM bought out Lotus Engineering and the ZR1 project was set under way using a V8 engine that Lotus had already developed but not placed in any vehicle.The Corvette needed a high tech 375hp +
motor and Lotus had it. The ZR-1 option was from $27,000 to $31,000 depending on year.

The motors were actually produced by Mercury Marine facility in Stillwater, Oklahoma. However about the time ZR1 sales were diminshing, GM was considering selling Lotus. Lotus was finally sold to Buggatti in 1994.
The last ZR1 was produced in April 1995, but the last motor was produced at the Mercury plant in November 1993. All engines built for later years were stored for the relevant model years. :eek:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Formula14@Dec 3 2003, 10:10 PM
Didn't Lotus Design it and Merc built It? And They did make Two ZL1 vettes in '69 I believe. One was set up for drag and the other set up for road course.
Correct, and the one setup for drag was pulling quarters in the mid to high 10's stock, however, with slicks and headers. The other one was in the 12's.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts