Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?a...FXBG2I7PWD.html

The Platform Now Arriving
By Hilton Holloway
The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday July 16 2004

Somewhere under the skin of this concept car lies the basis of the 2006 Commodore and Hilton Holloway has driven it.

The outskirts of Frankfurt are not where you'd expect to find the next generation of Australia's biggest-selling car. Yet, here I am behind the wheel of the vehicle that will form the basis of the 2006 Holden Commodore -- the VE.

I'm on a vast, grey, concrete runway at a former US Air Force base close to the factory in Russelsheim where the car that spawned the Commodore was born 25 years ago.

General Motors has allowed a handful of European motoring writers behind the wheel of its Insignia concept car from last year's Frankfurt motor show. To my colleagues, it's just another concept vehicle but its significance is not lost on me.

GM's media minders insist the car is a design study only but Drive knows better than that. Beneath the bulging flanks and sweeping curves is the platform that Australians will be driving a couple of years from now.

Under the bulbous bonnet is an engine familiar to Australians, the 5.7-litre V8 which powers today's high performance Commodores. It sounds great and we haven't even got into Drive yet. I'm not allowed to engage the four-speed automatic, that's the job of the German engineer sitting in the back seat, babysitting this $3 million hand-built machine.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
I find the Opel Insignia quite fetchin' as is, inside and out. I hope my constant anxious anticipation and great expectations of the vehicles to be built off this platform are not dashed with, say, Saturn Ion design and anemic powerplants.

5,934 Posts
The front end looks like ****.

5,934 Posts
Hmm, I better get busy posting. I want to get my left title bar to 'V-8', at least 'V-6', from 'super charged 4'.

How long does it take to be 'root' or 'super user'?

:lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i can see the cadillac sixteen in that car for sure...maybe even a pontiac firebird and saturn sports car amd possibly a Buick Riviera how sweet would that be but hopefully if they do build it with those companies they all have different skin inside and out

·
Registered
188 Posts
I for one, like this design. Hopefully, we'll see Zeta-based models in the US under the Pontiac, Buick and Chevy nameplates. And maybe, just maybe, GM can incorporate some of this beautiful design along the way.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like the SS concept to me! I wish they'd just put the SS concept on the Zeta platform, stick a V8 in it and call it a Camaro :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by slvrlkdude@Jul 16 2004, 12:04 PM
I for one, like this design. Hopefully, we'll see Zeta-based models in the US under the Pontiac, Buick and Chevy nameplates. And maybe, just maybe, GM can incorporate some of this beautiful design along the way.
From what I have been reading recently, the GTO could be redesigned on the Zeta. I also saw speculation that the reborn Camaro would be underpinned by the Zeta.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by KENB@Jul 16 2004, 04:19 PM
Is it just me, or does this concept greatly resemble the Chevrolet SS concept???? <_<
I think its just you and ibchip. If you were to put the 2 cars next to eachother, they would have nothing really in common. The Insignia and Velite are a lot taller and wider I belive. Expect to see a lot of the SS's design in the next Camaro.

(slvrlkdude @ Jul 16 2004, 12:04 PM)
You will. The designer of the sister car, Velite, is now in charge of design for GM. Ed Welburn will be a great designer for GM and help Buick, among other divisions to enhance there appearance. You know we are in good hands when he drives a 69 SS Camaro to work every day :D. Zeta will probably be a major player in Buick and Pontiac. I would hope that in Pontiacs quest to being a BMW-esque company, that they would go to RWD/AWD for the majority of there cars.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think Pontiac addressed the notion of going AWD when they passed on the idea of an AWD next gen Grand Am. Remember when the rumors were flying around about wickedly sporty 240hp AWD hybrid Grand Ams in our future? Did you know the REV was the concept to that idea? Squash that puppy down and that almost was the G6. Supposedly.

Regarding the SS/zeta tie... despite the obvious styling difference, I believe the zeta is what the SS indeed sits on. It's like how the Kappa relates between the Solstice and the other two concepts. You can obviously do more with the kappa than just have a two seat roadster. You can make a small performance wagon(Nomad), or a meaty mini coupe (Curve). Unlike the Epsilon, which seems to carry a fair amount of base styling between the nameplates, the Zeta seems to be more of a chassis-only platform. That's good because it leaves itself open to a wide variety of designs.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by CyberianHusky@Jul 17 2004, 12:14 AM
Regarding the SS/zeta tie... despite the obvious styling difference, I believe the zeta is what the SS indeed sits on. It's like how the Kappa relates between the Solstice and the other two concepts. You can obviously do more with the kappa than just have a two seat roadster. You can make a small performance wagon(Nomad), or a meaty mini coupe (Curve).  Unlike the Epsilon, which seems to carry a fair amount of base styling between the nameplates,  the Zeta seems to be more of a chassis-only platform. That's good because it leaves itself open to a wide variety of designs.
All Epsilons look the same :huh:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by CyberianHusky@Jul 17 2004, 07:14 AM
I think Pontiac addressed the notion of going AWD when they passed on the idea of an AWD next gen Grand Am. Remember when the rumors were flying around about wickedly sporty 240hp AWD hybrid Grand Ams in our future? Did you know the REV was the concept to that idea? Squash that puppy down and that almost was the G6. Supposedly.

Regarding the SS/zeta tie... despite the obvious styling difference, I believe the zeta is what the SS indeed sits on. It's like how the Kappa relates between the Solstice and the other two concepts. You can obviously do more with the kappa than just have a two seat roadster. You can make a small performance wagon(Nomad), or a meaty mini coupe (Curve). Unlike the Epsilon, which seems to carry a fair amount of base styling between the nameplates, the Zeta seems to be more of a chassis-only platform. That's good because it leaves itself open to a wide variety of designs.
The G6 can still go AWD as Saab is looking to go AWD on there 9-3, as well as a small Epsilion Caddy will be made for Europe with AWD only. Epsilion can go AWD if need be, and the G6 could be next. As of right now, there is no AWD plans for the G6, but who knows?

And no, the SS was built on some custom chassis that was just made for the SS. The Zeta chassis was still a year or so away.
Actualy, the Insignia which was tested in this article was based of Sigma, not Zeta. The Insigina car will be built off Zeta, but Zeta and Sigma will probably be very close in chassis design that most people wont notice the difference. The SS could have been built on a moddified Sigma.
and the Epsilions looks the same? I think Dumb *** had the best post for that. No one could ever tell that all 5 versions of Epsilion were built off the same chassis.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by CyberianHusky@Jul 17 2004, 07:14 AM
No. The SS sits on the XLR/C6 Y-platform. Thats been known since it was unveiled.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You look at all those Epsilons and tell me with a straight face that they don't look similar. Give me a break. Notice I didn't say all Epsilons are just rebadged versions of each other. The Saab and the Malibu are certainly very close in styling, right down to the belt line that rises over the front wheels. But apparently you all are dazzled by the difference in the front ends and can't see the proverbial forest through the trees.

As for the SS info, I was obviously mistaken about the origins of that chassis. I had read in a couple accounts that it was an early form of the zeta, not THE zeta itself. And what I should've said was that it gave birth to the zeta as a concept.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by CyberianHusky@Jul 26 2004, 05:15 AM
You look at all those Epsilons and tell me with a straight face that they don't look similar. Give me a break. Notice I didn't say all Epsilons are just rebadged versions of each other.  The Saab and the Malibu are certainly very close in styling, right down to the belt line that rises over the front wheels. But apparently you all are dazzled by the difference in the front ends and can't see the proverbial forest through the trees.

Waist lines are only sheetmetal deep.
And the Malibu and 9-3 certainly do not share any sheetmetal.(as you can plainly see)

Am I right in guessing that was your point? That Kappa vehicles dont share sheetmetal?
Well, regardless of styling. The Epsilons dont share stamping either.

One thing that does appear similar on the cars is the windshield rake. Perhaps the C pillar angle also, but the sheetmetal makes it hard to tell.

Remember, those were just concepts...We could always dig up the G6 concept.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Erunion+Jul 25 2004, 05:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Erunion @ Jul 25 2004, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CyberianHusky@Jul 17 2004, 07:14 AM
Regarding the SS/zeta tie... despite the obvious styling difference, I believe the zeta is what the SS indeed sits on. It's like how the Kappa relates between the Solstice and the other two concepts. You can obviously do more with the kappa than just have a two seat roadster. You can make a small performance wagon(Nomad), or a meaty mini coupe (Curve).  Unlike the Epsilon, which seems to carry a fair amount of base styling between the nameplates,  the Zeta seems to be more of a chassis-only platform. That's good because it leaves itself open to a wide variety of designs.
No. The SS sits on the XLR/C6 Y-platform. Thats been known since it was unveiled. [/b][/quote]
Techically a Streched Y-Body, but close enough.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by Erunion@Jul 26 2004, 01:19 AM
Remember, those were just concepts...We could always dig up the G6 concept.
What does the G6 concept have to do with anything? The G6 concept is not on an epsilon. It was on a modified sigma.

Besides, my original point was not that the epsilons share sheetmetal in the way that the recent N-bodies did, but that there is more structuring underneath that dictates what can be done on top. If I had a good picture of an epsilon chassis without the body I would point out exactly what I'm talking about. It's not as "open ended" as the kappa.

Now quit freakin' arguing with me over this. Talk about the zeta.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts