GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Probably not good for a first car. The 3.4L DOHC engine can be a beast to work on and they have reliability issues.

Check out 60degreev6.com if you want more information about it.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by DEMonte1997@Mar 30 2004, 12:21 AM
Probably not good for a first car. The 3.4L DOHC engine can be a beast to work on and they have reliability issues.

Check out 60degreev6.com if you want more information about it.
Yes... don't confuse the 3.4 Twin Cam with the 3400...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The 3.4L DOHC was not the most reliable and I think flat rate on the alternater alone was like 6.1 hrs.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
It's one of the few domestic cars of recent date that has a timing belt. The timing belts go at 60,000 miles like clockwork. Thankfully the engine design prevents piston crash. Not an easy to work on engine, nor is it particullarly popular. I had a 1993 Grand Prix GTP with the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam V6, It was nice, my version made about 210hp, later models were up-ed to 215hp. Make sure that the car has been properly maintained. They did rev up to an almost 7000 rpm red line, which is not bad for V6. The power was adequate, but nothing to really write home about. One of the interesting facts was this engine was able to be combined with a 5 speed manual through 1993.

I dont know how good a deal the car is, the only vehicle that I would consider with a 3.4 DOHC V6 would be the later model Cuttlass Supreme convertibles.

If you are looking for GM FWD performance from the early 1990's. Try a 1992 and up Bonneville SSEi with the Supercharged V6 or any of the Buick Regal GS's from the early 90's with the 3800 V6, these feel more "lively" than the 3.4 DOHC's, and it's a way more bulletproof engine. There were a few versions of the 2.4 Litre Quad 4 that made from 180 to 190hp, theese were available in the Oldsmobile Acheiva SC/SCX and Grand Am GT , most of the times they were combined with a manual transmission, they were great performing little cars. You can also look into a 1993 and up F-body, bar none, these cars are now a great performance bargain.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I like the looks of the car but don't like the engine's reliability record.

Perhaps a better choice would be a Z24 Cavalier for that early 90's FWD Chevy performance. There is a huge community at www.jbody.org that supports these cars and discusses them.

The last gen 1998 / 1999 - 3800 Series II V6 powered "Z34" Monte Carlos can be a nice find with the sportier suspension setup. I doubt they were offered with a manual transmission, if you are a stick guy - but they can benefit from many of the Grand Prix power adder modifications available in the 3800 aftermarket.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The last W-body car that had a manual transmission was either the Lumina, Cutlass Supreme or Grand prix in 1993. To my knowledge the W-body Regal was never offered with a manual.

Perhaps a better choice would be a Z24 Cavalier for that early 90's FWD Chevy performance. There is a huge community at www.jbody.org that supports these cars and discusses them.

Not a bad choice....I did like the Z24s and Sunbirds with the 3.1 V6 engines, small car, big engine combo, and you can get them as a convertible.

A well cared for 1993 Cadillac Seville or Eldorado with the Northstar V8 is a sweet ride and a good bargain. 295hp V8, room, handling and prestige to spare.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
what was the rear suspension set-up on the lumina Z34? i remember hearing it was kinda trick, but i don't really know. i kinda recall comparisons to the vette at the time. were there any similarities?

also, did the dustbuster lumina APV (and transport and silhouette) spawn off of a version of the lumina car platform, or did they just share the name?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Mar 31 2004, 09:36 PM
what was the rear suspension set-up on the lumina Z34? i remember hearing it was kinda trick, but i don't really know. i kinda recall comparisons to the vette at the time. were there any similarities?

also, did the dustbuster lumina APV (and transport and silhouette) spawn off of a version of the lumina car platform, or did they just share the name?
The Lumina had coil sring rear trailing arm set up but Grand Prix Cutlass had a transverse composite leaf spring that the ends would wear off of and need replacing every 100,000 kms

1 - 10 of 10 Posts