GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
You see too many G5's DOES cost GM money... It places downward price pressure on Cobalts...
If that was the case, GM wouldn't've even started with the G5.

a reduced Saturn lineup would be easy to add to reduced BPGmc lineups at those dealerships
Not reduced - converged:

1. next Astra -> Pontiac G5 replacement
2. Aura -> phased out when then Regal and LaCrosse arive
3. VUE -> could go Rendezvous OR Terrain

4. Outlook -> Acadia
5. Sky = Solstice

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
^ Aura>Regal>INSIGNIA(Cutlass? ;))
it's just the smaller than ^that F-Awd vehicles that I don't see being a benefit to the Pontiac (OR Buick) nameplates
(but think you knew that)

I just don't believe in killing any more familiar nameplates than absolutely necessary
GM is going to need as much 'established recognition' as possible during its re-org

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
If that was the case, GM wouldn't've even started with the G5.
And thank you for proving my point (Holly cow I can't believe I'm defending a Rick business proposal)

GM Management didn't want to make the G5.... They knew it was a mistake...

You and I both know that they were FORCED to make this dog... By the DEALERS! The very dealers that Rick wants to shut down...

This time (and there is a first time for everything) Rick was Right!
The G5 was a mistake.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Agreed on the Pontiac challenging Nissan thing. That is what they should have targeted instead of BMW (even though that never really panned out). In fact, if in GMs unending ignorance they stop producing Pontiacs, Nissan or Infiniti is the brand I will be buying a car from most likely. The Altimas, 350Zs, G35s etc... are all really sweet cars. They have style and performance. Chevy would REALLY have to pull something out to make me buy one (excluding Corvette and Camaro because I will always be tempted by them).

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
GM Management didn't want to make the G5.... They knew it was a mistake...
It's not that GM only realized they have too many dealers before the Congress. I sincerely hope they didn't devise their strategy for the hearings, they've just outlined them there (like Ford), or rather were forced to reveal more. So they knew where they are taking Pontiac, and the BPG network, when they were introducing the G5. Don't tell me the dealers are so powerful they can force a car upon GM!

GM simply realized the market will be in compact cars, the Ion was nearing its end and replacement with the low-volume Astra (one of the reasons was that GM stopped the development of the next Ion, so they had little in the way of a new compact car for a few years), and BPG dealers had nothing there and return customers who'd buy something. And if you're GM - when in doubt, rebadge.

As concerns trimming down the dealership network, blanket moves such as simply cutting down BPG are the worst you could do. In some areas, the BPG dealer would be the one "worth saving", while Chevrolet (and other) dealers would be the ones to cut. Moreover, the franchises are distributed pretty randomly, so there are Chevrolet-Pontiacs, Mazda-Pontiacs and Subaru-Pontiacs etc.

Again, GM can force any dealership to close by manipulating the economic conditions in which they operate (sales cut, share in promo expenses, financing conditions). Shutting down a brand is certainly not a way to restructure the dealership network.

it's just the smaller than ^that F-Awd vehicles that I don't see being a benefit to the Pontiac (OR Buick) nameplates
(but think you knew that)

I just don't believe in killing any more familiar nameplates than absolutely necessary
GM is going to need as much 'established recognition' as possible during its re-org
I am not sure I understand what you imply, or rather am pretty sure I don't.

1. Insignia is coming as Regal, a very familiar nameplate - this is an established nameplate. Not that Buick couldn't use a smaller car to take on the Camries (the G6 just can't anymore).

2. LaCrosse (an already familiar nameplate, for better or worse) will more or less become the "big" Buick - but will coexist with the slightly larger Lucerne for some time... The trick is to price all three of them right.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Well now that GM needs to cut back their brands/models here is my downsized Pontiac lineup:

G4 - Based off 2010 Opel Astra 5-DR Hatch/3-DR SportHatch (replaces G5/G3/Vibe)
4-cylinders N/A & TURBO ECOTEC DI VVT 6M/6A

G6 - Epsilon II FWD/AWD Midsize SportSedan/SportWagon based off Opel Insignia
1.6L 180 HP L4 TURBO SE 6M/6A
2.0L 250 HP L4 DI TURBO GT 6M/6A
2.8L 280 HP V6 TURBO GXP 6M/6A

G8 - Zeta RWD Large Sedan/SportCoupé/SportTruck
3.6L 300 HP V6 DI SE 6M/6A
6.0L 365 HP V8 AFM GT 6M/6A
6.2L 420 HP V8 AFM GXP 6M/6A

Solstice - Kappa RWD Roadster/SportCoupé
2.0L 260 HP L4 TURBO GT 6M/6A
2.2L 300 HP L4 TURBO GXP 6M/6A

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Well now that GM needs to cut back their brands/models here is my downsized Pontiac lineup:

G4 - Based off 2010 Opel Astra 5-DR Hatch/3-DR SportHatch (replaces G5/G3/Vibe)
4-cylinders N/A & TURBO ECOTEC DI VVT 6M/6A

G6 - Epsilon II FWD/AWD Midsize SportSedan/SportWagon based off Opel Insignia
1.6L 180 HP L4 TURBO SE 6M/6A
2.0L 250 HP L4 DI TURBO GT 6M/6A
2.8L 280 HP V6 TURBO GXP 6M/6A

G8 - Zeta RWD Large Sedan/SportCoupé/SportTruck
3.6L 300 HP V6 DI SE 6M/6A
6.0L 365 HP V8 AFM GT 6M/6A
6.2L 420 HP V8 AFM GXP 6M/6A

Solstice - Kappa RWD Roadster/SportCoupé
2.0L 260 HP L4 TURBO GT 6M/6A
2.2L 300 HP L4 TURBO GXP 6M/6A
I like that plan. It kind of reminds me of the 80's when Pontiac used a turbocharged 4 in the Sunbird GT and Chevy used a 2.8 V6 in the Cavalier. Not that I really want to go back to the 80's, but it gave Pontiac something to differentiate themselves from Chevys

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As a niche brand...

-Solstice convertible and coupe
-G8 sedan
-A mid-sized coupe based on the Coupe 60... maintains exact look, just smaller. AWD option.
-An E-Flex roadster

Kill the "G" thing and bring back names like Tempest, LeMans, or Grand Prix

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I like that plan. It kind of reminds me of the 80's when Pontiac used a turbocharged 4 in the Sunbird GT and Chevy used a 2.8 V6 in the Cavalier. Not that I really want to go back to the 80's, but it gave Pontiac something to differentiate themselves from Chevys

Thanks :) There is that benefit but I also based my idea for their new smaller lineup by taking over Saturn's place as a North American Opel-like brand and in a way Saab's too with turbocharged engines. The engines in my G6 are the same that are in the Insignia which would do well here because they develop the same, if not more power than the naturally aspirated engines in the current G6 and are a lot more efficient. So not only is GM cutting back Pontiac's lineup which saves them money, they have alternates for Saturn & Saab buyers and except for the G8, have fuel efficient engines which helps with CAFE.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Compact car LeMans - 5 passenger coupe, convertible, & sedan
FWD, 2.2L I4 & 2.0L Turbo I4

Midsize car Grand Am - 5 passenger coupe & sedan
FWD, 2.4L I4 & 3.0L V6

Large car Grand Prix/GTO - 5 passenger coupe & sedan
RWD, 3.6L V6, 6.0L V8, & 6.2L V8

Specialty car Can Am - 2 passenger convertible & coupe
RWD, 2.4L I4 & 2.0L turbo I4

Light truck Safari - 5 passenger SUV
FWD/RWD, 3.0L V6 & 3.6L V6

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
For starters, I would ditch all the useless "G" names. Next I would send the Vibe right back to where it came from. The G3 would never make it here. The G5 and Torrent would be dropped. My lineup would look like this:

Grand Am- in coupe, sedan and convertible. Basically it would be on the short wheelbase Ep II with std DI 2.4 and 6 speed stick with 6 speed automatic available. GT models would come with 3.0 liter DI V6 and be offered with both transmissions. GTP models would have a slight lower ground effect and bolder grille and use the 3.6 engine

Grand Prix mid size- in sedan form on long wheelbase Ep II like 2010 LaCrosse but with Pontiac styling, available AWD on all models and sportier suspension and interior. Regular 3.6 would be std with DI on higher end GT models

Bonneville full size- on current G8 platform but with slightly longer body with bigger trunk, Pontiac styling, std 3.6 DI V6 couple to 6 speed automatic and lower final drive ratio for 28 MPG highway. Interior will offer 5 color choices, 2 of which can be made into two-tone treatments like in current Malibu. GT models will continue with AFM 6.0 liter V8 lower final drive ratio and 26 highway rating and GTP models will come with 6.2 liter V8 fortified for 430 HP and 25 MPH highway rating.

Solstice- sports coupe carried over with new DI 2.4 engine, upgraded interior and more refinements. Convertible still offered and both have the option to upgrade to 2.0 DI turbo in GXP form.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I agree, go back to names. Also if Pontiac is the performance division, then it should be:
1. Solstice (with turbo)
2. GTO (with V8 and/or turbo)
3. Firebird with same options as Camaro
4. Bonneville, rwd/awd, V6 and V8

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like most of their lineup as of now but ditch the G3 and G5 and Torrent they just bring down the whole performance thing plus their ugly copies. But I do like the idea of the SV6 Sport van and but why not add a real proformance suv to pontiac too ?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts