GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know americanrevolution normally is doing these threads but I thought hey, why not see what people would do if they were in charge of oldsmobile. Perhaps oldsmobile could've been saved and they along with the other GM divisions could bring in some profit.

My Ideal Oldsmobile Lineup
Calais-Similar to pursuit but with olds front and some luxury touches
2.4L ECOTEC L4 180 HP GX
2.2L ECOTEC S/C L4 230 HP GXS
6-Speed Manual, 6-Speed Automatic

Cutlass-Epsilon, similar to Saturn Aura, Oldsmobile touches
3.5L 210 HP V6 SL
3.9L 250 HP V6 SLX
3.9L 280 HP V6 GTX
6-Speed Manumatic
442-Muscle Car, Similar to Firebird (aka My Ideal Pontiac Lineup)
5.3L 310 HP V8 LS
6.0L 400 HP V8 LSS
7.0L 500 HP V8 Cutlass
6-Speed Manumatic
TORONADO-Front Drive Value Priced Sports Car on Epsilon Platform
3.9L 280 HP V6 LS
5.3L 310 HP V8 LSS
6-Speed Manual, 6-Speed Manumatic
Cutlass Supreme-Rear Drive Zeta Sport Sedan
6.0L 410 HP V8 SL
7.0L 505 HP V8 LSS
6-Speed Auto, 6-Speed Manual

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
lol, only reason I didn't was because they're dead... but, ahh, what the heck, I'll post mine...

This entire lineup is aimed at making Olds a more expensive expensive, lower-production American sporty/muscle car company. Have a more "exotic" and higher-scale (but musclar) design outside, and Euromerican design inside (yes, i said Euromerican... meaning European level up-scaleness but American design)

4-4-2
Z06's 500 hp V8 engine all-out performance coupe. RWD. Luxurious, very sporty coupe that is made to be more of a racer more than a cruiser. Platform mate of (My Ideal Chevy Lineup) the Chevelle and (My Ideal Pontiac Lineup) GTO. Priced at $30,000 upto $40,000. Bold, aggressive design.

Cutlass
A 400 hp (V8) sports sedan comparible to 2005 M5. Luxurious, but very sports-oriented, with a noticably-taunt suspension. $45,000-$55,000. Bold, aggressive design.

Aurora
350 hp V8 engine powering this sleek sports sedan. Less expensive, more GT-like than the Cutlass. Taunt suspension enables it to take corners with ease. $33,000-$42,000. Sleek, sporty design.

Alero
A shortened Zeta compact coupe and sedan with a high-output V6. RWD, optional AWD. Build to compete with the likes of the the A4, C-class and 3-series. Starting at $33,000 and going upto $42,000. A sleek, aggressive design.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
IAMCANADIAN said:
That's a nice lineup :)
Thx :) I needed a nice comment, I got sad when I heard 20 ppl are dead, possibly more on East Coast after that blizzard... so that cheers me up... :D

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
AmericanRevolution said:
4-4-2
STS-V's 440 hp V8 engine all-out performance coupe. RWD. Luxurious, very sporty coupe that is made to be more of a racer more than a cruiser. Platform mate of (My Ideal Chevy Lineup) the Chevelle and (My Ideal Pontiac Lineup) GTO. Priced at $30,000 upto $40,000. Bold, aggressive design.
No Cadillac engines outside the Cadillac lineup. Whatsoever. ESPECIALLY the high end V8!!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
mgescuro said:
Umm... Let's see...

Saturn Sky
Saturn Aura
Saturn VUE
Saturn Relay

Oh wait... Oldsmobile?? :rotf:
:lmao:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
mgescuro said:
No Cadillac engines outside the Cadillac lineup. Whatsoever. ESPECIALLY the high end V8!!
Ahh, that's no fun... ok, *steals Z06 engine* there, 500 hp! WOOHOO!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
mgescuro said:
Wow, I guess you don't want any luxury models in GM's lineup except for Cadillac huh? If they don't start using these engines outside of Cadillac, I don't see how their other companies will ever be viewed as luxury cars by the sheep out there that believe luxury/refinement=DOHC.

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
kain01 said:
Wow, I guess you don't want any luxury models in GM's lineup except for Cadillac huh? If they don't start using these engines outside of Cadillac, I don't see how their other companies will ever be viewed as luxury cars by the sheep out there that believe luxury/refinement=DOHC.
You got that right. Northstar should not be in any other GM car other than Cadillac. This includes the BOnneville that hijacked the engine.

Buick can get their own engine that's not a NOrthstar. Saab doesn't need a V8 in its lineup.

I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if the NOrthstar SC ended up in a Buick... or a Pontiac. And I would certainly lose a lot of respect for GM and the Cadillac brand.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My ideal Oldsmobile lineup. Yes I'm using the Northstar II and Aurora II (the 4.2 Northstar concept) engines. I would place Oldsmobile directly against BMW only at a much cheaper price.

Alero
Redesign, large Kappa. 3 series competitor.
LS: 2.8 200 HP/FWD/$25k
LT: 3.2 230 HP/FWD/more standard features/$28k
RKT: 3.6 TT 400 HP/AWD/$33k

Aurora
Full size Oldsmobile, made on Sigma platform. 7 series competitor
LS: 4.7 375 HP (Northstar II)/RWD/AWD/$40k
LT: 4.7 375 HP/RWD/AWD/more standard options/$43k
RKT: 7.5 V12 515 HP (XV12, powererd down to bring up torque, In my world there is also a supercharged version for Cadillac V series)/RWD/AWD/more standard options/$55k

Bravada
Redesign with new styling, X5 competitor.
LS: 3.6 260 HP/RWD/AWD/$39k
LT: 4.2 320 HP/RWD/AWD/$46k
RKT:4.7 375 HP/RWD/AWD/$52k

Cutlass
Small Zeta platform car. 5 series competitor.
LS: 3.2 230 HP/RWD/$35k
LT: 3.6 260 HP/RWD/AWD/more standard options/$39k
LST:4.2 320 HP/RWD/AWD/most standard options/$46k
RKT: 4.7 SC 510 HP/RWD/AWD/$53K

Cutlass 442
Coupe version of Cutlass. 6 series competitor
LS: 4.2 320 HP/RWD/AWD/$40k
LT: 4.7 375 HP/RWD/AWD/$46k
RKT: 4.7 SC 510 HP/RWD/AWD/$52K

Incas
Large Kappa roadster to compete with Z4.
LS: 2.8. 200 HP/RWD/AWD/$32k
LT: 3.2 230 HP/RWD/AWD/$38k

Recon
Smaller version of Bravada competitor for X3.
LS: 2.8 200 HP/RWD/AWD/$28k
LT: 3.2 230 HP/RWD/AWD/$33k

The RKT stands for Oldsmobile Rocket. Only a few car lovers will get the refence, and no I wouldn't advertise them as that. Leave'em guessing, or at least arouse enough curiosity for them to look it up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
mgescuro said:
You got that right. Northstar should not be in any other GM car other than Cadillac. This includes the BOnneville that hijacked the engine.

Buick can get their own engine that's not a NOrthstar. Saab doesn't need a V8 in its lineup.

I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if the NOrthstar SC ended up in a Buick... or a Pontiac. And I would certainly lose a lot of respect for GM and the Cadillac brand.
Well unfortunately that is exactly what needs to happen in order for GM to compete with Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
kain01 said:
Well unfortunately that is exactly what needs to happen in order for GM to compete with Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.
The NOrthstar SC is not needed to compete with Lexus/Infiniti/Acura. GM has other engines that are just as capable.

The Northstar should remain a Cadillac exclusive and not end up on a lesser brand.

·
Registered
578 Posts
442 was a performance package offered on the cutlass. seems stupid to offer a cutlass then a completely different car called the 442.

and 442 stood for 400 cubic inch, 4 barrel carburator, and dual(2) exhaust. how can we have a car called a 442 when we dont have a 400 cubic inch motor, and carburated cars arent made anymore.

·
Registered
578 Posts
mgescuro said:
The Northstar should remain a Cadillac exclusive and not end up on a lesser brand.
its being used in the pontiac bonneville, a 4.0L version of it was used in the olds aurora, and a 3.5 V6 version of it (some called it the shortstar) was used in the intrigue.

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
acascianelli said:
its being used in the pontiac bonneville, a 4.0L version of it was used in the olds aurora, and a 3.5 V6 version of it (some called it the shortstar) was used in the intrigue.
Northstar should never have gone into the Bonneville. But that's just my opinion. It's getting the new 5.3L anyways, so it's a moot point now.
All other derivations of Northstar are dead... including Shortstar and Aurora.

·
Registered
452 Posts
So what you're saying is that GM should use their OHV engines that get trashed by the media, including in some instances the LS series (even though they get nominated for things like best engine), or better yet create an entirely new lineup of DOHC engines for their luxury brands other than Cadillac.

·
Registered
43,946 Posts
kain01 said:
So what you're saying is that GM should use their OHV engines that get trashed by the media, including in some instances the LS series (even though they get nominated for things like best engine), or better yet create an entirely new lineup of DOHC engines for their luxury brands other than Cadillac.
Ideally?? GM should kill every single OHV engine in their car lineup.
If they get trashed by the media, they have no place in their car lineups whatsoever.
But GM can't do that, so they keep a few here and there.

What I'm saying is that an exclusive V8 engine used in GM's top car, should not be shared among the cheaper GM brands.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
mgescuro said:
Ideally?? GM should kill every single OHV engine in their car lineup.
If they get trashed by the media, they have no place in their car lineups whatsoever.
But GM can't do that, so they keep a few here and there.

What I'm saying is that an exclusive V8 engine used in GM's top car, should not be shared among the cheaper GM brands.
No they shouldnt. The media doesnt know anything about engines.
Ever hear of the new 5.7L HEMI. It seems to be in all the dodge and chrysler vehicles. It is NOT DOHC its a OHV. Name one time when you read someone not liking it because it was OHV.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts