GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I recall that oil starvation and heat were problems once.
I don't think that is a problem anymore. Better designs, materials, treatments, CAE, etc. have come a long way.

I think everyone will be boosting smaller engines soon. It's all about weigth reduction right now. Can't do that with large V8's or even V6's.

CAFE sucks

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
there was actually a video posted here awhile back of a Current gen Taurus mule with the Ecoboost engine that was part of a ford promotional video on the Ecoboost engine i forget which thread it was in but is probably on youtube somewhere

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Yes, the video is on YouTube. Ford's Derrick Kuzak gives a good overview of the technology and nearly seven minutes into the video he shows a brief clip of a Taurus mule outfitted with an EcoBoost engine being raced against a Cadillac and what appears to be a BMW. And if I'm not mistaken, the rear end of the Taurus started to sag a bit as it accelerated. Lot's of power flowing to the rear wheels? Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgilKUwMl2A

·
Registered
928 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgilKUwMl2A This is the video, Its kind of dry to say the least but the information is good, Derrick Kuzak describes the porducts being launched with it, MKS Then the Flex and 2010 Taurus.

The best has to be the Taurus Equipped with EcoBoost vs. a BMW 3 series and Cadillac STS

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
In 2010 we get the freshened Taurus and a GTDI AWD as well.
I hope they call it SHO again.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgilKUwMl2A This is the video, Its kind of dry to say the least but the information is good, Derrick Kuzak describes the porducts being launched with it, MKS Then the Flex and 2010 Taurus.

The best has to be the Taurus Equipped with EcoBoost vs. a BMW 3 series and Cadillac STS
Gotta love your siggy there :D

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
According to Ford PR, that MKS mule (Taurus) was racing a Cadillac STS4 V8, and a BMW 335xi automatic.

Fair's fair. Top engine available with AWD.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. I never liked those little Mazda sissy cars. :p:

My friend had a turbo probe in 89 that was very quick, but the turbo wasn't reliable at all. I'm pretty sure it was a Mazda engine, but I'm sure they really have improved on the design.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Back in the day the intercooled turbo fords had switches for premo and reg fuel. The switch would reduce boost by about 5psi and crank down timing, it worked well, but now computers can do it without blinking.

The biggest problem I had with the turbo cars was anythign around the turbo degraded faster than normal, particularly plugs and wires on the 2.3, and alot of the hoses in the vicinity of the turbo would deteriorate fast causing problems if you didnt do regular maintenance. I have/had a few turbo 2.3's that went well over 200,000 miles and im not in the minority here. Turbo coupes were fantastic highway cars and there are a lot out there with the mileage to prove it.

Clean fresh engine oil is a turbos best friend.

·
Registered
683 Posts

My friend had a turbo probe in 89 that was very quick, but the turbo wasn't reliable at all. I'm pretty sure it was a Mazda engine, but I'm sure they really have improved on the design.
I had a turbo probe in 89. One of the best cars I ever had. Engine was rock solid. The rest of the car started going at 160K. I had it on the Autobahn, I remember having the cruise set at 100mph with the ac on. Boost the whole time. LOL

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Be reasonable. RX-7 turbos ran like a bat out of hell right up until the engine blew up. ;)
( I don't have any actual statistics. But the reliability reputation for Mazda rotary turbo engines, even among Mazda fans is positively awful. )

·
Registered
82 Posts
It seems like the Flex will benefit the most from an EcoBoost 3.5, I'm sure it's much heavier than an Edge or even a CX-9. The CX-9 had to move to the D37 from the D35.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I had a turbo probe in 89. One of the best cars I ever had. Engine was rock solid. The rest of the car started going at 160K. I had it on the Autobahn, I remember having the cruise set at 100mph with the ac on. Boost the whole time. LOL
I had a '91 Probe GT turbo that I bought used with 100k miles on it. I only had it a year because an idiot neighbor kid ran into it and totaled it, but in the time I had it, the turbo motor ran flawlessly. It didn't want to rev much beyond 4500 rpm, but pulled like a freight train from 2500-4500 rpm. It was more reliable than the N/A DOHC V6 in my '94 Probe.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It was more reliable than the N/A DOHC V6 in my '94 Probe.

My 1993 Ford Probe GT w/ the 2.5 DOHC V6 has been stout. 220,000 miles on her now and I haven't touched the engine other than routine preventitive maintenance like timing belts, tune-ups, oil changes etc.

As for performance and reliability issues with the engine itself, it has been very minimal.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Also, what about the Mustang SVO with its 4-turbo and let's not forget the "alternative muscle-car", the Buick Regal Grand National/GNX.
The turbo Mustang is coming back, a twin turbo V6 Mustang to be an alternative to the V8

·
Registered
928 Posts
The turbo Mustang is coming back, a twin turbo V6 Mustang to be an alternative to the V8
That mustang is gonna kill! The new look, new interior and that ecoBoost is just gonna be so slick!

·
Registered
116 Posts
The new F150 is rumored to get a TTDI 3.5l v6 with around 415hp and 350lbs tq. Should be interesting...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts