GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, So I went to check it out today. It's in decent shape, and actually (I should have checked this out long before) it has the 5.7 L05 TBI in it, so it's not an LT1, but it's not the 5.0 L03 either. It's a nice in-between. But man, this car is sweet. You see it and drive it in person, and you fall in love. I have a weird taste in GM cars, and this one just seems to quench that thirst. 2,900 was the final price, but I didn't have the 2000 cash on hand to put down on it (he's a great guy, gonna let me make payments). So I'm gonna go back up as soon as possible to get it. It's got some nasty hubcaps on it that are going to need replaced, and there's a small-ish dent in the RR quarter panel. Otherwise the car is (suprisingly) rust free, wheel wells and all. The engine looked like it's gonna need an intake gasket soon, but it's not bad. What a great little (heh) car...I'm excited! I snapped a couple pics on my cell phone...

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Re: You guys gotta help...

Why don't you consider the oldsmobile Aurora? you can pick a great late model one up for about $5k. Sorry, but I don't find any of the cars you mentioned even remotely appealing.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

How long do you intend to keep the car? If this is a short term (3 year) deal then the wagon makes the most sense to me. If the intent is to keep this car a while then it would seem to me that the low miles and newer year of the Classic, not to mention your knowledge of the car as a tech, make up for the price difference. It's all about what your needs are and I'd hazard a guess that both should serve you well in any case.

·
Registered
7 Posts

How long do you intend to keep the car? If this is a short term (3 year) deal then the wagon makes the most sense to me. If the intent is to keep this car a while then it would seem to me that the low miles and newer year of the Classic, not to mention your knowledge of the car as a tech, make up for the price difference. It's all about what your needs are and I'd hazard a guess that both should serve you well in any case.
Yeah, what are you doing with this car? It's hard to make a recommendation since you didn't say what you want.

The LT1 is a much more powerful and modern engine than the L03. But it's prone to Optispark failure which is a concern.

The '95 has very low miles for its age which is a good sign. But it's still 13 years old...

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

I have a wagon. I can't remember which year the LT1 started in. I know my 92 does not have a LT1. I am getting about 18 mpg with the 5.7 engine. I think with a good tune up I could hit 20mpg.

The nice thing is you could get two wagons for the price of the sedan.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'd use it to haul stuff back and forth about 150 miles, so it'll be a long hauler for the most part. I'll use it to drive to work everynow and then, but bascially I just need it for those long trips moving back and forth from school and home. I'll probably only have it for 3-4 years till I trade it in for my new G8, so while it doesn't have to last me long, I really don't feel like replacing parts every other week till then. I'm still leaning towards the wagon, and yes, Mr. Burns, I was looking at Auroras and Intrigues too, but they just didn't quite have the charm of a big 'ol small block RWD cruiser I was looking for =) Plus, most of the half decent ones I saw remotly close they wanted to much. Remember, I am but a humble college kid trying to scratch himself out a living =)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

I think you are leaning the way I am, especially if you are going to use it to haul things. Go with the wagon. I know its older with more miles, but it looks to be in good shape from the picture, is cheaper, and gives you a greater space option.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts

I'd go with the red corner and get the sedan. It's a good looking full size car and you'll have an LT1 which you can have some fun with later if you want to spend a little money.
That SS wagon is pretty cool, guy really needs to take off that friggin spoiler though.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Sounds like the wagon would be better for what you are needing it for.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I also vote for the wagon. The wagon will be able to fit things like TVs and furniture, which can be difficult with sedans.

Also I'd bet that the L03 will be cheaper to keep on the road than the LT1.

·
Registered
863 Posts

Don't worry too much about the optispark in the LT1, mine still had the stock one in it when I replaced it at 146K. It was still in working condition (and full of tons of oil even) but I decided to replace it when I had the engine tore apart from installing headers just so I wouldn't have to tear it apart again. I'd go for the one with the LT1 in it because it has a good engine and for the fact that I never personally cared much for the look of Caprice wagons.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Wagon, with $500.00 in parts to fix any problems (if it even has any) is way cheaper, plus I also like the wagon style better. The faux wood, not so much, but that'll come off when you are ready!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

The wagon, definitely!

Cheaper with more space... and the woodgrain paneling should totally seal the deal! (I love it)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

The Wagon for sure! :yup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts