GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You Can Still Buy a Twin-Turbo Cadillac Blackwing V8 Engine From GM… For Now
As it turns out, the automaker built a few more 4.2-liter Blackwing engines than you might have originally thought.

The Drive
January 25, 2022
Peter Holderith

Cadillac's 4.2-liter, twin-turbocharged Blackwing V8 was too pure for this world. Technically known as the LTA, it produced a maximum of 550 horsepower and 627 pound feet of torque with minimal turbo lag thanks to tiny, valley-mounted turbochargers. It only went in one car, the CT6-V, and only for two model years. When the CT6 ended production, the Blackwing V8 went with it; however, that's not quite the end of the story.

The engine, which was handbuilt at General Motors' Corvette production facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky, is still for sale on Cadillac's parts website. After discovering this, we reached out to GM to see what the deal was, and yes, as it turns out, you can still buy the Blackwing V8. According to a company spokesman, the automaker built a "handful of engines" for service use before production officially ended a few years ago. Assuming you can pay the $21,666.67 MSRP plus a $3,500 core charge, one of the unobtanium motors can be yours.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Pretty cool, but would anyone really want to buy that engine for actual use? I'd imagine there is all sorts of costly tech and parts in it that will be near impossible to get replacement parts for, or have to customer build replacement parts at presumably high cost.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Pretty cool, but would anyone really want to buy that engine for actual use? I'd imagine there is all sorts of costly tech and parts in it that will be near impossible to get replacement parts for, or have to customer build replacement parts at presumably high cost.
yeah....replacement parts for this will be non-existent down the road. It would be an expensive boat anchor if something major were to fail with no access to replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah....replacement parts for this will be non-existent down the road. It would be an expensive boat anchor if something major were to fail with no access to replacement parts.
If you have REALLY deep pockets, buy 3, and install one into a 1965 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. :)

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
If I had really deep pockets I'd get a Nelson Racing Engines LS twin turbo engine. 1000hp on pump gas and 1500hp on race gas. The price listed is the base engine...they have an options list that includes a tranny that adds another $25k to the price. 🔥

Font Art Symmetry Pattern Event

·
Registered
576 Posts
That's why admire all those Europeans driving American cars in Europe. In many cases their experience looks like this. I know even a guy who bought a CT6-V from copart, he's been waiting half a year for a suspension part. Thankfully he's rich and patient.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I can see a couple of these making their way into very high-end resto-mods or custom builds... The scarcity, combined with the power output, it's hand-built status coming from the Bowling Green Performance Shop (and the very cool Blackwing nomenclature) could push a very high-end show car over the top.

It's a limited, but very real market, for a very limited product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts