GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning out a desk drawer and came across this really cool article that I printed off of motortrend.com a long time ago, (August of '98 according to the date stamp on the print-out).

This was Motor Trend's online version of an article that appeared in their printed edition, and I think it was the first inkling of news that someone at Cadillac was thinking of doing a Corvette-based roadster.

As we know now, the Evoq concept appeared a few months later, Cadillac announced that they would turn the concept into a real car a few months after that, and the rest is history.

Not only is this article interesting for the sketches of what they thought the XLR would ultimately become, it's also interesting to read about their perceptions of Cadillac at the time. We all likely remember the days when Cadillac was regarded by the motoring press as hopelessly out of step--something that just doesn't register these days--but even back then, we all knew better. ;)

Another interesting thing about this article is that there were about as many dead-on predictions as there were inaccurate predictions. For example... built on a Corvette platform? Right! Available by 2002? Um, no.

I scanned the article into jpgs that you can access from the links below:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

I hope you enjoy it. Maybe in a few years, we'll be posting articles from way back in 2003 about predictions of a "16-cylinder supercar from Cadillac"... B)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
U know I was looking @ that very same issue of MT a couple days ago,and was like damn!..That's pretty good,they (Motor Trend) was pretty accurate with the C5 Corvette
2. They were fairly with the 98 Camaro restyle 2.

·
Registered
44,289 Posts
So Motor Trend was about a year and a half off, and XLR is based on the C6 (C5 1/2). Not too bad if you ask me.
I still like the edgier Evoq though, but I'm more than content with XLR. And I still think that XLR should have NightVision... just for kicks. :blink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts