GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that the '87 GTA we bought last year was an investment and was never meant to be a permanent member of the fleet. Well, we decided a couple of months ago that we were going to try to cash in on the current high values and try to sell it, then purchase a 5th or 6th-gen Camaro when things settled down. Well, when talking to a buddy of mine who works at the local Buick/GMC dealer, he mentioned that they had a pre-owned 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6-speed with 35k miles on the clock. It had been on the used lot for a few months and that they might be willing to make a deal to get rid of it. So, long story short, it presents and drives as a brand new car. Previous owner clearly took care of it, as the only sign of wear is on the left bolster of the driver's seat. Took it by the house so wife could see/drive it, and she immediately fell in love with it. Wound up buying the car that day for $24k, which was a pretty reasonable price, considering the $28k price that was on the windshield.

Next steps are to add hockey stripes and vintage '69 Camaro badging, then off to CA to visit my buddy's shop for a cam swap and long-tube headers install. Oh yeah, and anyone want to buy a pristine, 60k mile 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
That's really nice. Still have good memories of my 2010 Camaro. If not for a deer collision, might have still had it.

(Don't need an '87 GTA. I've got an '88 with 40K miles.)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I would have kept the GTA if I were in your shoes..The 5th gen just doesn't carry the understated coolness that the 3rd gens do.\

The 5th gen has an air about it that reminds me of Poochie the dog.

·
Super Moderator
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the new ride!

I would have kept the GTA if I were in your shoes..The 5th gen just doesn't carry the understated coolness that the 3rd gens do.\

The 5th gen has an air about it that reminds me of Poochie the dog.

We would keep the GTA, but the issue is that it's basically a garage decoration. With the low miles and original condition, I feel like we're pushing the value down with each trip, so it is seldom driven. If the car had a lot more miles and maybe was restored or something, it would be a different discussion. Also, I did have an '88 that was purchased by my parents in November 1987 and sold to me a year later. I had always wanted another one, and so I did scratch that itch, and now I can move on.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
We would keep the GTA, but the issue is that it's basically a garage decoration. With the low miles and original condition, I feel like we're pushing the value down with each trip, so it is seldom driven. If the car had a lot more miles and maybe was restored or something, it would be a different discussion. Also, I did have an '88 that was purchased by my parents in November 1987 and sold to me a year later. I had always wanted another one, and so I did scratch that itch, and now I can move on. View attachment 64653
Understood.

T'was a beautiful car you owned if only for a moment.

And congrats! (again) on the new ride may it serve you well. I'm excited for you!

·
Premium Member
35,134 Posts
We would keep the GTA, but the issue is that it's basically a garage decoration. With the low miles and original condition, I feel like we're pushing the value down with each trip, so it is seldom driven. If the car had a lot more miles and maybe was restored or something, it would be a different discussion. Also, I did have an '88 that was purchased by my parents in November 1987 and sold to me a year later. I had always wanted another one, and so I did scratch that itch, and now I can move on. View attachment 64653
You should have put a screaming chicken on the hood before letting her go

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Congrats, vanshmack. Talk about an un-used used car. Like new indeed. Enjoy your ride.

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
Wow! Good luck with it - looks sweeeeeeet!

Same goes for the T/A, if I had a good place to park it I'd be asking "how much".
@vanshmack So what does a 1987 GTA with 60K go for? (about)

• Wow
Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

A few years ago, you could get one with half that many miles on it for a reasonable price. I paid $15K for mine in early 2018, with 32K miles on it.

Prices have been going up though. More so on 3rd gen Camaros, but the Firebirds are increasing as well. (Don't understand why, but the Camaros despite being more plentiful seem to be worth more.) That's the impression I get from eBay listings anyway and from some stuff sold on BAT.

Reactions: vanshmack

·
Super Moderator
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm looking to get $18,500 for mine. I've seen them range from about $15k-$22k, though it's mostly dealers trying to catch a whale at the high-end.

·
Super Moderator
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats on the new ride! Whats the story on that old Chevy truck in the garage?
That's my wife's '58 Apache, aka, the Christmas truck. Looks good on a Christmas card, too!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts