GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love GM always have always will. Seriously though why doesn't GM have an A4 fighter or an Acura TSX fighter. I would love a sport sedan with a luxury. All we have is V6 mostly automatic and more expensive. Please dont say SAAB 9-3 either , I owned one and it got replaced a year later. Interior is not as nice as above fit and finish is nowhere even close as the above!!! So I am wondering why no saturn that is against this or maybe even cadillac and if Saab wants to why dont they make the necesary adjustments. Honestly as much as I want to stay with GM, if there is nothing that fits the turbo 4 luxury 6 speed manual department in the next few years I feel I might have to go elsewhere. I mean the reason I bought the Cobalt SS/SC is because it fit those needs ( less the luxury) but my next car I want the luxury.. so any ideas??

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ummm dull and no 6 speed!!! hence not a sport sedan, plus interior is not anywhere near luxury or audiesque nice try though fenwickhockey65!!!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
auto not manual, there in lies the problem, and its not bad but it doesnt really exude the quality of Audi and to a lesser extent Acura.

·
Super Moderator
21,185 Posts
Well, maybe the Cadillac BLS or ATS or whatever the hell they'll call it will suit you. I kinda doubt it'll have a manual though. You can always hope they'll stick a turbocharged 4-cylinder into the G8...:D

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now that is what I am hoping for!!!!!! A sweet turbo 4 G8 coupe hence the AVATAR!! 310 HP or so with a 6spd Man.. and 20 MPG!!!! SWEET interior, great quality and a badass design!!!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
now that is what I am hoping for!!!!!! A sweet turbo 4 G8 coupe hence the AVATAR!! 310 HP or so with a 6spd Man.. and 20 MPG!!!! SWEET interior, great quality and a badass design!!!
A turbo i4 G8 or Camaro would be sweet.

A factory turbocharged engine is the best bang for the buck in terms of performance. It's not unrealistic to say that it's easier and cheaper to add HP to a turbo engine than a NA 6 or 8.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Why a 4 banger? In a G8 the I-4 Turbo really wouldn't increase mileage. It might even decrease. Then you are limited buy displacement for power. And then torque will become an issue (which will be the cause for the gas mileage loss). Stick with the LS2 and turbo it. You will still get 22+mpg hwy and you will be pushing anywhere between 400-450 hp. and equivalent torque with a mild boost. Or you could boost the crap out of the V-6 and be pushing the same power and get closer to 23+mpg. Of course, the mileage is based off of conservative driving habits and not racing it (which would be hard to do in any car with 400+ hp).

The reason for my opinion is looking at the G8 (the size and weight) you need a lot of torque to get good mileage. The difference between the G8 auto V-8 and V-6 is 1 mpg hwy and 2 overall. A four cylinder at the same power as a V-8 or V-6 in the G8 will probably net you a loss in not only torque, but also in mileage; when compared respectively. I wouldn't be surprised to see the G8 manual V-8 get the same mileage as the auto V-6, or within a mile per gallon.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
I am 100% with arcangel on this. Of course, I have driven nothing but 4 cylinder Accords since 1988, and most have been manual. My hope is that the Alpha (RWD, small, presumably 4 cylinder) will be offered with a manual in one of its versions.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks hoosierron!!! and Hrcslam just to dissprove your argument the A4 is prob as heavy as the G8 with said 4cyl so if Audi can do it y not GM!! lets not forget VW passat as well with 2.0 T

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
thanks hoosierron!!! and Hrcslam just to dissprove your argument the A4 is prob as heavy as the G8 with said 4cyl so if Audi can do it y not GM!! lets not forget VW passat as well with 2.0 T
The A4 just has poor German style engineering, I swear they make cars out of lead or something:D

It is easy to make a 4-cyl car. Just put in 4cyl engine! Doesn't mean it is best idea. Often it is though, inline 4 cyl engine is a very good type of engine. V8 is also a very good type of engine for cars.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you see i think its just ignorant ramblings by people who dont want to admit that the 4cyl can power our bigger cars it has been doing it in europe forever. Even makes as BMW and Mercedes place 4cyl in there 3 series and CClass in europe just not here. ps not trying to offend anyone.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
There isn't a such thing as a sweet GM 4 cyl sedan. You need like a Legacy GT Spec B. Turbo/IC 2.5L boxer, I believe 243 hp and tons of torque, 6 speed manual, and AWD thrown in

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Read this post from another thread on GMI.
ach said:
Available evidence suggests you are correct. Compare, for example, Mazda CX-7 (244 hp I4 turbo, rated 16/22) with the VUE (257 hp V6, rated 16/22 and weighs much more than the CX-7). Similarly, Acura RDX (240 hp I4 turbo, rated 17/22) vs. BMW X3 (260 hp I6, 17/24, and weighs more than the RDX).
Also the Audi A4 weighs much less than the G8. The A4 is not comparable to the G8.

Audi A4 I-4 2.0L Turbo 6M FWD weighs 3428 lbs and has a much smaller frontal area, it pushes 200hp and 207 lbs ft of tq., and gets 20mpg city and 31 hwy. This car is a compact (according to the U.S government) and is compared to a Cobalt not a G8.

I don't think I need to list the spec comparison for a Cobalt as we both know the Cobalt will demolish this thing; 2L Turbo vs. 2L Turbo.

The G8 GT V-8 RWD weighs 3995lbs with much more frontal area, it pushes 361 hp and 385 lbs ft of tq, and gets 15 city 24 highway. This car is listed as a large car by the U.S government. And is compared to the Audi A8.

Audi A8 weighs 4321lbs, pushes 350hp and 325 lbs ft of tq, and gets 16 city and 23 hwy. Looks like GM one upped Audi again.

Your Audi argument doesn't hold. I did some research for you though and found a good comparison. Honda Accord I-4 auto vs. V-6 Auto.

The Honda Accord I-4 will fetch you 21 city 31 hwy and give you 190hp and 162 lbs/ft of tq. The V-6 will get you 19 city and 29 hwy and push out 268hp and 248lbs/ft of tq. If you matched the power from the I-4 to the V-6 it looks like the V-6 would win out.

Here's another comparison for you. Pontiac Solstice GXP vs. Corvette.

Pontiac Solstice GXP: 260hp, 260tq., 2976lbs, 19 city, 28 hwy.
Corvette: 430hp, 434tq., 3217lbs, 16 city, 26 hwy.

Both cars are similar in frontal area and capacity (Corvette is a little bigger), they both are front engine RWD. One has an I-4 Turbo while the other has a V-8 with another 170hp and more weight, but only sacrifices 2 mpg. Again match the I-4 hp to the V-8 and the V-8 will win again.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
When I first heard of GM taking over Subaru, or however that went, my first thought was... YES!!! GM will drape some unique Poncho sheetmetal over the brilliant (and egregiously underrated) Legacy platform and hey presto!... a sporty compact Pontiac sedan.

Instead we got the 9-2x...

:ponder:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.