·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XWD Widely Available on 2009 9-3
May 15, 2008
www.gminsidenews.com
By: NSAP

The arrival of the mid-cycle enhancement GM performed on the 2008 Saab 9-3 brought the very-welcomed addition of the stellar XWD all-wheel drive system. However, for the 2008 model-year XWD has only been on the Turbo X models and optional on Aero models. That changes for 2009.

Starting with the 2009 model-year XWD will be optional on the 2.0T models, which are the base models. The 2.0L Turbo models have 210 HP and are not seeing any other major changes. The XWD system will still only be offered on sedan and SportCombi models. The convertibles chassis is not setup for all-wheel drive.

In addition, the 280 HP rating currently on the Turbo X models has been extended to ALL Aero models for 2008. That 280 HP is made from the Turbocharged 2.8L HF V6. Currently all non-XWD Aero's are rated at 255 HP.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It's good to see that you don't have to get all that expensive power to get that great XWD system. Too bad about the Cabriolet model though. Saab could have a niche with a great handling, all-weather convertible.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
It's good to see that you don't have to get all that expensive power to get that great XWD system. Too bad about the Cabriolet model though. Saab could have a niche with a great handling, all-weather convertible.
Well, Audi sells AWD convertibles too. Does BMW as well?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hmmm, I'll have to take a test drive in the new 280hp FWD Aero model. I drove a 2007 FWD Aero model with 255hp once and I loved it.

I just wish Saabs weren't so expensive purchased new. I priced out my ideal 9-3 once and it was more expensive than my ideal CTS! In that case, I'll take the CTS. Saab is not on par with Cadillac in my book.

If I was seriously considering this car, I'd probably wait until a 2009 Aero showed up on someone's used car lot and save a bunch of $

·
Registered
55 Posts
Now if some factory would offer an AWD retractable hard top convert for those of us in the northern climates it would be killer.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
The AWD system probably can't be retrofitted to the 9-3 Convertible due to extra braces and bars that the convertible chassis has.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I might have missed something, but is the Haldex system for manuals, automatic, or both?

This changes things...will my next vehicle be an Outback XT or a 9-3 Sportcombi XWD...

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
This changes things...will my next vehicle be an Outback XT or a 9-3 Sportcombi XWD...
My dilemma as well. I am leaning towards the Sube due to more rear passenger room. I am torn as I love the 9-3's powertrain. Sadly, the Sportcombi is the only GM vehicle I would consider. I wish GM offered more wagons!:(

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts
Good. I'm glad to see this. It was about time - I got tired of all those A4 Quattro drivers thinking they were the only game in town in the entry-level lux-sedan market with turbo4s and AWD.

They get on my nerves.

·
Premium Member
34,369 Posts
What I do not understand is why Saab Turbo V6's cannot make 300 BHP... Cadillac does that without a turbo..
Are the Saab's twin turbo's?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I do not understand is why Saab Turbo V6's cannot make 300 BHP... Cadillac does that without a turbo..
Are the Saab's twin turbo's?
The 2.8L Turbo is capable of up to around 350 HP with nothing more than DI. However the 9-3 variant does not have DI....although it is coming.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 2.8L Turbo is capable of up to around 350 HP with nothing more than DI. However the 9-3 variant does not have DI....although it is coming.
THE 2.8 V6 can produce more than 350hp without DI, but without the resources they can't get the engine to 'breath' any more than it already does in its current setup. Not too much is required, a larger inlet and better Inter-cooler will have the car running with an approx. 15% HP hike. So we can look at around 320hp.

Do not be surprised if we see this figure quoted on the next gen 9-5 Aero.

For an individual tuner this isn't a problem, But for a manufacturer who offer a 5 Year warranty. You have to make sure the engine is not going to cost millions in recalls.

Saab use a twin scroll Turbo with the 2.8

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
THE 2.8 V6 can produce more than 350hp without DI, but without the resources they can't get the engine to 'breath' any more than it already does in its current setup. Not too much is required, a larger inlet and better Inter-cooler will have the car running with an approx. 15% HP hike. So we can look at around 320hp.

Do not be surprised if we see this figure quoted on the next gen 9-5 Aero.

For an individual tuner this isn't a problem, But for a manufacturer who offer a 5 Year warranty. You have to make sure the engine is not going to cost millions in recalls.

Saab use a twin scroll Turbo with the 2.8
Yea the current 9-3 has a crazy complex intake and exhaust routing system for the 2.8T.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts