·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'XT' Will Be New Nomenclature For Cadillac SUVs, CMO Says
Forbes
September 30, 2014
By: Dale Buss

When Cadillac introduces new sport-utility vehicles and crossovers, the nameplates will begin with a “XT” designation to complement the new “CT” designation that the brand already has announced for its new sedans beginning with the flagship CT6 that is to be launched next year.

And just as in Cadillac’s new naming scheme for its sedans, the “XT” for each SUV will be followed by a number that indicates the size of the vehicle relative to other SUVs in the Cadillac lineup. Cadillac’s existing Escalade large SUV will be an exception to the new plan.

Cadillac Chief Marketing Officer Uwe Ellinghaus told me that “future SUVs will have an ‘X’T and cars will have a ‘CT’ and the number behind each pair of letters will indicate its size in the hierarchy.”

Full article at link.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I still don't think that this nomenclature is a good idea. It'll be too confusing for both customers and dealers. I say they should stick to what they have now.
This will only work if they stick with it for the next 30+ years. Transitions to new vehicle names is always annoying, but if this is the last time for a very long time, it will all be fine.

To me the worst will be renaming the Escalade an XT8 (guess).

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I can't be the only one who thinks getting rid of "Escalade" isn't the best idea.

Oh, I read the article. I guess I'm not the only one. Caddy doesn't think it's a good idea either.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I can't be the only one who thinks getting rid of "Escalade" isn't the best idea.
Escalade isn't going anywhere. It's the flagship SUV and it has too much brand recognition.

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will only work if they stick with it for the next 30+ years. Transitions to new vehicle names is always annoying, but if this is the last time for a very long time, it will all be fine.

They're throwing away two very well respected names in the CTS and SRX for CT_ and XT_. It's a bad idea and I don't see this working for them.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I'm I the only one that thinks this nomenclature is much easier for the customer?? Just say CT and the number(depending on size) for cars and XT and the number for SUV/Crossovers. Done.

Much easier for the customers that are accustomed to that sort of thing from other brands.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm I the only one that thinks this nomenclature is much easier for the customer?? Just say CT and the number(depending on size) for cars and XT and the number for SUV/Crossovers. Done.

Much easier for the customers that are accustomed to that sort of thing from other brands.
Do luxury customers really need things dumbed down for them? This isn't Chevy.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts

Oh, I read the article. I guess I'm not the only one. Caddy doesn't think it's a good idea either.
The article does state that the Escalade will "be an exception to the new plan."

I don't really have a problem with the new nomenclature. Just as long as they stick with it and don't change the vehicle line names every 5 years.

Trivia tidbit: Subaru had an XT and XT6 in their lineup many years ago.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts

Escalade will not be renamed. I do like XT#

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I will give GM credit they are giving the New guy everything he asks for. So there can be no excuses in the future if he fails.........

1 - 20 of 127 Posts