GM Inside News Forum banner

XM Sirius Question

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  marinerbc 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased an 07 Rainier. It has the std radio with cassette and cd. I was wondering if anyone knew how easy/complicated it would be to add the XM kit for it using the existing radio. Can a Sirius kit be done the same way also? I know that since they merged we will eventually be able to get either's channels from the same receiver.

In regards to the antenna located on the roof, is that strictly for OnStar, or is a dual purpose antenna if satellite radio is installed? Thanks!

Any ideas of costs? Dealer installation?

#2 ·
I didn't have a stock XM/Sirius capable radio, but I did have a Kenwood receiver that was Sirius ready. (Chose Sirius for now for the channels that I wanted; next year will have a choice of "a la carte" from the Sirius/XM menu, I am told.)

Since you have a GM Vehicle (I am presuming not an XM/Sirius ready one?) then you may require a new stereo.

I needed this for mine:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=2482426&catParentID=24750&scId=24750&oldParentID=

I installed the antenna and such myself, and I will never look back.

SIRIUS 128 for all NASCAR all the time, by the way. :D

#6 ·
Yeah, once I found that I could get a Sirius unit for the Buick, I'll probably go with that as opposed to XM. I already have 2 receivers with Sirius, and this way I can transfer the subscription from the T&C to the Rainier. :D

#3 ·
I forgot.

The Sirius receiver for the Kenwood stereo was $99. The car kit was $69.

Another option is to keep your existing stock deck and go with a Sportster 5 for $149 (I paid $129 at Wal Mart), and have it broadcast over FM (you choose an empty frequency) to your existing stereo.

Our other car has this setup; the Sportster 5 is actually a lot more feature laden than the Kenwood in dash setup is. You can record an hour of Satellite radio, you get Sports alerts, you can program it to let you know when a favourite artist is on another channel.

I'd go with the Sportster(s) if I had it do do over again. At least there's one of them here. :D

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=3356093&catParentID=7875&scId=7875&oldParentID=

#4 ·
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=247350&i=607SIRGM1&tp=87

I use this unit in my Silverado. It's plug and play, but your truck may not have the factory XM/OnStar antenna wired down to where the factory XM unit would normally be, so you'll probably have to use the included antenna. I use my truck's factory XM antenna, but it doesn't receive very well at times. I've thought about wiring the included magnetic antenna behind the dash and 3Ming it to the top of the dash near the windshield, but I've gone nearly three years on the XM antenna.

#5 ·
That is what I am leaning to doing. That way, I can used the OnStar/XM antenna already there. I just hope there is a wire from it to the radio are, not just for OnStar. I believe most of my work will be behind the glove box.

#8 ·
One curious thing: I was unaware that XM is land based until a while back. Sure explains some reception problems.
Both XM and Sirius have terrestrial transmitters in congested cities, but their main mode of operation is satellite.

#9 ·
When testing various cars with factory sat radio systems (both XM and Sirius), I have found the I actually get much better reception with XM than I do with Sirius. Interesting.

#15 ·
Although I have not decided which I like better, Sirius or XM, I too have found that XM reception is better than Sirius. My wife's SUV has Sirius and I have XM. I have found that when driving her vehicle with Sirius I lose reception a lot more often than when I drive my car with XM. It is important to note that both our vehicles came with factory satellite radio systems so as to compare apples to apples.

Has anyone else experienced the same or have an explanation? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
The Sirius reception in the SS is pretty bad if you're going slowly next to trees or something like that. But that's mainly (read: completely) because I have it mounted on the cowl due to the lack of roof on the car... Haha

The Jeep gets pretty good reception with the antenna mounted on the roof just ahead of the tailgate. I still need to go in there and make the wiring look nice but this stupid storm is killing it for me. Which sucks because it's like 74 degrees outside...

But Lithium, Howard Stern, Left of Center, CBC Radio Music, and the NPR are my main stations for Sirius.

#18 ·
i have both of them aftermarket and XM has much better reception in general, i also prefer there programming for the most part. O@A 6-12 Ron and Fez noon -3

#21 ·
that article is old......
Merger has gone thru. so in the near future they will announce plans on how to get signal from both...

But I have SIRIUS.... the little add on unit. using the FM transmitter gave me too much noise-in the location I mounted it....
you have 2 more options...
USe the AUDIO OUT--- and connect to an INput--- or since the original poster has a Rainier... with cassette- you can use the audio out- and insert one of those cassettes that you slide in and comes from your source...... or so what I did...
use the ANTENNA OUT--- and run a cable to the radios antenna input...
essentially the cars antenna plugs into this box--- this box also has an input straight from the sirius antenna out connection--- and then this box connects straight into the rear of the radio.... you simply tune into the frequency you selected.
I did this and now I get great reception.
Ive also driven down to Guadalajara Mexico and been able to hear Sirius. the only time I had reception was when I drove down street and there was some 2 story houses in the way.... just because I was that much farther down towards the equator and location of the satellites... but if there were no tall obstructions--- I could hear the sirius channels all day long.
here is my setup... using velcro to hold it in place on my 2003 trailblazer... no messy cables..

#23 ·
Well, the unit came in from Crutchfield yesterday.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=247350&i=607SIRGM1&tp=87

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. Comes up on factory radio, much like XM would. Haven't permenantly mounted the receiver. For power, I spliced into the 12v (cig lighter) wires instead of running a pair to the battery. The unit came with a fuse and noise filter built in to the power cables. All concealed and neat. Right now I just have it tucked in a cubby home behind the left side of the glovebox. I'm going to get some double-sided tape and use that instead of all those (6) screws. I mounted the antenna near the rear hatch and tucked the wire under the door trim back to the receiver. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself! LOL!

#24 ·
I mounted mine with velcro...
I put it on the spot where I wanted it to go- and noted where the radios touched parts of the dash........ thats where I put the velcro,
in the pic you can see the top has velcro...... and in the rear-- you cant see it-- but theres a bit back there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.