GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac XLR and Ford F-150 Named Winners of 2004 'Car and Truck Interior of the Year' Awards at 11th Annual Auto Interiors Show

DETROIT, May 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Two of Detroit's most important image vehicles -- Cadillac's luxurious XLR sports roadster and Ford's all-new F-150 pickup truck -- have been voted car and truck "Interior of the Year" award winners by 5,500 automotive industry executives. In addition, the Cadillac XLR's on-board navigation unit was named the "Navigation System of the Year."

The three awards were presented here today in ceremonies at the 11th annual Auto Interiors Show at Cobo Center, Detroit.

"The selection of these particular vehicles is especially noteworthy because both represent a turning point in interior styling, functionality and quality for North American manufacturers," said Doug Hope, group vice president of VNU expositions, producers of the show. "Furthermore, they confirm the fact that innovative interior design and excellence in exterior styling go hand-in-hand in helping manufacturers differentiate brands and achieve sales success, since both of these vehicles are setting sales records in their respective categories."

The Cadillac XLR and Ford F-150, as well as the XLR's navigation system, were chosen by a "people's choice" format with online voting by all 5,500 industry executives who pre-registered to attend the 2004 Auto Interiors Show. Five finalists were selected in each category, and the top vote getter in each category was the winner.

more

5,934 Posts
the new F-150 is starting to grow on me.

:D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Overall, not too surprising for the F-150 to take that award given the dated competition, but Cadillac is really impressing me lately. I hope next years initial quality numbers put them solidly in the #1 position. This award is definately a sign that they deserve it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
anyone who likes the f150 interior is sold on the rest of the ford crap and should be de-brainwalshed. the interior is a sad attempt at luxery that it mekes me sick. the silver painted dash will peel and chip. IT IS CRAP!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Oh no, two american vehicles are voted best interiors! What will the naysayers and domestic bashers do? Oh yeah, don't acknowledge it ever happened like they always do. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Though the Ford deserves the truck spot, Cadillac still has a ways to go (though certainly going in the right direction, and fast). Anyone that has either sat in or driven an Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes or BMW would know (especially with Audi- fine avant garde designs with superb feel and fit/finish). Before you all get ruffled, i am an ardent Cadillac supporter and believer- it's just a bit early to start pinning crowned jewel accolades (and time to get back to some hard work to ensure that Cadillac can again, someday, be the metric from which others are judged).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by L88-ZR1-Z06@May 20 2004, 05:46 AM
anyone who likes the f150 interior is sold on the rest of the ford crap and should be de-brainwalshed. the interior is a sad attempt at luxery that it mekes me sick. the silver painted dash will peel and chip. IT IS CRAP!!
Ok, have you sat in a new F150, let alone all of the Ford products currently out there? Its funny how some people are so pesimistic towards Domestic vehicles. If you have nothing to nice to say, than shut up. All you are doing is making an *** out of yourself, what are you, 12? I cannot stand when ignorant, immature people like you post a reply to a topic and dont even know what the hell they are talking about. It is ok to express your opinion, but you dont have to be a smartass about it. The F150's interior is an excellent attempt at luxury, I know this for a fact, I have sat in one and felt the textures and plastics-very nice indeed. You need to get your **** straight (and your grammar, and spelling) before you reply to a topic and have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The new F-150 interior could nearly pass for an Audi. It's totally changed the game for high-volume mainstream vehicles in North America. Everything about it screams quality and expense.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by stewacide@May 20 2004, 08:23 PM
The new F-150 interior could nearly pass for an Audi. It's totally changed the game for high-volume mainstream vehicles in North America. Everything about it screams quality and expense.
exactly :D

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
until you touch it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@May 20 2004, 09:54 PM
until you touch it.
Yeah, I have felt the materials inside the F150. What is your point?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Geez, I'm a Cadillac guy and everything. But I just don't see the XLR interior as being all that special. It's nice. Nothing actually bad about it. Indeed, that hunk of wood surrounding the shifter is gorgeous - I particularly like the way it's not just a flat panel, but has some shape and heft to it.

But overall, the XLR interior just isn't all that nice. You don't sit down and say "beautiful" the way you do in Audis, VWs and even the newest Honda Accord.

It breaks my heart to say it, but I respectfully dissent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Originally posted by Jabroni+May 20 2004, 07:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jabroni @ May 20 2004, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GM_Guy81@May 20 2004, 09:54 PM
until you touch it.
Yeah, I have felt the materials inside the F150. What is your point? [/b][/quote]
I was all excited to sit in the F150 at teh NY Autoshow. It was teh biggest let down in a long time. It does look very nice, but the materials are crappy feeling. I really thought it felt cheap. The dash is still hard plastic and the places that are soft to the touch feel cheap at best.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by SteveWallace+May 20 2004, 06:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SteveWallace @ May 20 2004, 06:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 07:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GM_Guy81
@May 20 2004, 09:54 PM
until you touch it.

Yeah, I have felt the materials inside the F150. What is your point?
I was all excited to sit in the F150 at teh NY Autoshow. It was teh biggest let down in a long time. It does look very nice, but the materials are crappy feeling. I really thought it felt cheap. The dash is still hard plastic and the places that are soft to the touch feel cheap at best. [/b][/quote]
I too have felt the new F-150 dashboard. Nice looking texture, but it's just hard plastic to the touch. I never really had time to feel the soft materials.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Although I love the XLR as much as the next guy, I will go out on a limb and say this:

Consider that in the COBO Auto Interiors show, several thousand auto executives had to strategically place their vote. What safer vote than a car that is already virtually sold out? When you have to pick from five finalists, you don't necessarily vote for a single item because you personally like it, but because it would be much worse for you if the others won.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah, I was disapointed by the materials in the way they feel in the F150.

I really dont see what is so great about Audi interiors, they are nice, and have good textures, but I wouldent say they are beautiful. The new ones are actually pretty fugly.

The great thing about the XLR is the really high quality materials. The plastics feel nice, the wood is amazing, the center stack is real aluminum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts