Premium Member
News Contributor
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-Man: Reviving a junkyard Olds Omega in spectacular fashion
Hagerty
Jim Koscs
05 July 2022

Zeidler’s Oldsmobile Omega is one of the four General Motors X-body front-drive compacts offered from 1980 to 1985. Remembered as one of GM’s particularly egregious failures, X-cars like this went to early salvage yard graves in considerable numbers, besieged by engineering and quality deficiencies.

Zeidler’s 12-year odyssey with his SportOmega began at a point familiar to many enthusiasts.
“I was at a junkyard getting some parts for a different car when I saw it,” he recalls. “I took a few pictures and came home, did some research and talked myself into buying it.”

The car was largely intact, but a cracked windshield had let in water over the years, ruining the seats and front floors, and there was rust elsewhere. The original 2.8-liter V-6 and three-speed automatic transmission were long gone. (The 2.5-liter Pontiac Iron Duke was standard even in this “sporty” model.)

Zeidler ruled out the 6000’s AWD, though, and instead pulled the AWD from a Swedish member of the expanded GM family, a 2009 Saab 9-3X wagon. Made by Haldex in Sweden, the Saab’s AWD system was used by GM and several other carmakers, including Audi, VW, and Volvo. (Borg-Warner later bought the Haldex Traction division.)

“Some have done the Cadillac 4.9-liter V-8 with a five-speed manual, or the supercharged 3800 V-6, but none with all-wheel drive,” he says. “Initially, I wanted to use the 5.3-liter LS4 V-8 out of the front-wheel-drive Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP, but the Saab’s AWD transfer unit wouldn’t fit beside the block. So, I just went with the Saab’s 2.0-liter Ecotec turbo.”

Zeidler is justifiably proud of his creation. His utterly unique and extremely detailed SportOmega all-wheel-drive restomod shows how an innovative garage-built effort can turn even a GM X-car into a gem.

*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
That is seriously cool. I love '80's GM cars, cuz they're quirky, odd ducks. Not the best of course, but a little tweaking and some better drivetrain parts can change them into something fun and unexpected. I would love to put an Ecotec into an '88 Fiero Formula with a 6-speed manual.
Kind of fun when something like this is brought back to life. It's more fun to see something like this vs. a sports car from that era simply because of the rarity. It's common to see restored sports cars from any era, but something like this hum-drum x-body is pretty rare and cool to see!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Kind of fun when something like this is brought back to life. It's more fun to see something like this vs. a sports car from that era simply because of the rarity. It's common to see restored sports cars from any era, but something like this hum-drum x-body is pretty rare and cool to see!
Exactly! Again, this is why I'd rather collect the oddball Hot Wheels and drive the weird not-so-cool cars.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
This is a really cool resto-mod... I love it! I bet it's a fun car to drive.
My parents had a 1981 Olds Omega coupe... It was a decent car for them for 5-6 years, then they gave it to my older sister, as her first car... That's when everything started breaking down on the car! It became a money pit when she had it, with serious mechanical issues. I think she kept the car a little over a year before my Dad had enough and helped her buy a different car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I've only ever owned two cars, a '94 Caprice Classic and an '03 Impala. Any advantage the Impala had over the Caprice was weight savings for fuel mileage and handling, or front drive in the east coast snow. I know that there were good GM cars in the 2000's but I'll normally trust any other decade of GM vehicle first. My family has had Impalas, Caprices, LeSabres, Skylarks, pickups and a Skyhawk among other vehicles. I'm craving '80's G Bodys among many other things, but could only afford a rusted out hulk of one right now. From personal experience I'll take a LeSabre with a 3800 V6 over an Impala with a 3400 V6.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,008 Posts
Well, I've only ever owned two cars, a '94 Caprice Classic and an '03 Impala. Any advantage the Impala had over the Caprice was weight savings for fuel mileage and handling, or front drive in the east coast snow. I know that there were good GM cars in the 2000's but I'll normally trust any other decade of GM vehicle first. My family has had Impalas, Caprices, LeSabres, Skylarks, pickups and a Skyhawk among other vehicles. I'm craving '80's G Bodys among many other things, but could only afford a rusted out hulk of one right now. From personal experience I'll take a LeSabre with a 3800 V6 over an Impala with a 3400 V6.
Ditto on that Le Sabre with the 3800 V6 I sometimes wish I'd have kept mine longer. 2004-2011

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Some people had good fortune with them. The design should've made QC easier. My neighbor had a Citation she had from new all the way up to 2009-ish.
I'm one of the fortunate few. 1982 Pontiac Phoenix. Underpowered of course but utterly reliable. Finally gave it to my nephew at 160,000 miles and still going.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts