GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Related thread: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/chevy-mpv-spotted-testing-again-68550/

:confused::confused::confused:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122175512284552785.html

General Motors Corp. has suspended plans to build a small, seven-seat crossover wagon for its Chevrolet brand in North America, and instead plans to bring another small car to the U.S. from Asia. The moves come as it continues to shuffle its product plans in a rapidly shifting U.S. market.

The canceled Chevrolet vehicle, code-named the "Delta MPV7," was originally intended to be built in Hamtramck, Mich., beginning next year, according to the auto maker's recent agreements with the United Auto Workers union. The MPV, or multi-purpose vehicle, would have been based on GM's compact-car architecture, but capable of seating seven people.

The vehicle could still be built for markets outside North America, such as Europe, where smallish MPVs are more popular. A concept version of the model -- called the Chevrolet Orlando -- will debut at the Paris auto show next month.

"That's no longer an option for us," UAW Local 22 President George McGregor, based near the Hamtramck plant, said of the Orlando. A spokesman confirmed that GM has no concrete plans to bring the model to the U.S.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
SO, ride the hype about this thing, and then cancel it anyway? Wait, I know, they can just rebadge the Chevrolet Aveo as a Pontiac. Oh, yeah...

I know, why don't we give Hummer an Aveo? How about Saturn? By the way, since there isn't any money to develop full-size trucks anymore, we can just build an Aveo pickup for GMC. Yeesh!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I thought that GM only made money on trucks and crossover and not small cars.

Screw the cross overs and small cars, give me a Malibu sized station wagon.

I keep hearing that people don't really want to buy small cars in NA. Build a nice station wagon that has interior volume the same or larger than a Vue/Equinox but it lighter and lower and with better areodynamics (which would give better fuel economy) and you could have a winner.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hopfully we can get that Orlando Concept as the next-gen HHR! If the Concept isnt a 7 passenger vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't believe Chevy needs another small crossover vehicle. The lineup is pretty good with the HHR, Equinox, and Traverse. Keep updating those vehicles to best in class and Chevy won't have to introduce another to compete in a crowded market.

·
Registered
837 Posts
SO, ride the hype about this thing, and then cancel it anyway? Wait, I know, they can just rebadge the Chevrolet Aveo as a Pontiac. Oh, yeah...

I know, why don't we give Hummer an Aveo? How about Saturn? By the way, since there isn't any money to develop full-size trucks anymore, we can just build an Aveo pickup for GMC. Yeesh!

It seems like all the other brands are the ones getting a hummer.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
Ok - A quick thought/reaction:

My guess: GM thinks the Cruze will be a huge hit, thus:

Cobalt production stays at Lordstown and goes fleet only for the sedan, coupe remains retail.

Cruze is added to Lordstown, but additional capacity will be needed.

Hamtramck comes in perhaps as a second Cruze assembly site.

This scenario would also allow the station wagon version of the Cruze to have capacity.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sad really sad. I thought they would have figured it out by now. Bringing the small cross-over is not just about additional sales, it is about positive marketing. The more well built small cars they offer the US customer base, the less people will associate GM with big trucks/suvs.

So are they going to run the HHR for much longer than they should?

Could we all be mistaken here. Is GM going to introduce a wagon/cross-over version of the Volt for Chevrolet or another brand? If that is the case, I say kill the Orlando for the US. Otherwise . . .

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Sad really sad. I thought they would have figured it out by now. Bringing the small cross-over is not just about additional sales, it is about positive marketing. The more well built small cars they offer us, the more likely people will start seeing GM as the big truck/suv company.

So are they going to run the HHR for much longer than they should?

Could we all be mistaken here. Is GM going to introduce a wagon/cross-over version of the Volt for Chevrolet or another brand? If that is the case, I say kill the Orlando for the US. Otherwise . . .
Wait, what? How do small cars turn GM into a truck/suv company in the consumers eyes?:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Isn't GM building the Volt at Hamtramck? I didn't think they were planning on building anything else there but the Volt.

And who knows what GM is doing of late. And why cancel a small people mover when that'll sell better than larger ones.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Ok - A quick thought/reaction:

My guess: GM thinks the Cruze will be a huge hit, thus:

Cobalt production stays at Lordstown and goes fleet only for the sedan, coupe remains retail.

Cruze is added to Lordstown, but additional capacity will be needed.

Hamtramck comes in perhaps as a second Cruze assembly site.

This scenario would also allow the station wagon version of the Cruze to have capacity.
Makes complete sense. GM needs to be prepared for the increadible demand of a vehilce that may not move in great numbers due to an anticipated higher price point. What? I'm crazy to think GM small cars won't demand a premium price? Fair enough. Maybe we can at least agree that the Station Wagons will be a HUGE Hit.... NOT.

I think this falls under the, Geez we're low on cash pile.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Wow, I didn't see this coming.

I wonder what other small car from Asia are they considering to bring here?

·
Registered
373 Posts
So I am confused, they are going to the Orlando at the Paris show, and then not sell it here in the US?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I don't believe Chevy needs another small crossover vehicle. The lineup is pretty good with the HHR, Equinox, and Traverse. Keep updating those vehicles to best in class and Chevy won't have to introduce another to compete in a crowded market.
The problem is GM is making the Equinox bigger, so there's a big gap between that and an HHR.

While I like the HHR, I just don't believe that it is big enough to be a small people mover like the Mazda 5 (which the Orlando seemed to look like).

I, too, am curious as to what Asian car they've decided to bring over. I can't imaging this vehicle will be a sedan, so it's got to be SUVish. Whatever the case, my disappoint with GM just gets bigger every day.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm not too disappointed if this is true. Chevy has enough vehicles in the pipeline now, they really don't need many more NEW vehicles. Right now they should be focusing on successful launches of the cars that are definately coming to market shortly, and then the focus should be on the refinement and next gen replacements of its current lineup.

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
i think that just rebadging a current product is an awesome idea it worked for 100 years why not the next 100 years. I say gm should only change the logo and paint colors only. IT chevy gets fire red,, fire blue and pontiac gets awesome green, awesome yellow.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
When it's time for my mini-minivan-type-thing I'll go with the Mazda5 then. I was looking forward to a small Chevy. Alas GM has decided, if I want the occasional third row I need to buy a truck that's too big for 90% of times I use it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts