GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit that I have looked into the specs (horsepower, suspension,...) on the WS-6. Rather than hunt up a book at a local store or library, I figured that you fellows would know enough to give me chapter and verse on this model. Also, how does the Trans Am models (i.e. ws-6) line up against the Camaros?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Pontiac offered a WS6 package for a number of years on the Trans Am (and sometimes Formula models) - well back into the late 1970s. Back then, I believe it was primarily a suspension package that included wider tires, performance suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. These were among the best handling second generation F-bodies, usually eclipsing the Camaro Z-28 in most tests.

Many WS-6 cars of this era were combined with the T/A 6.6 motor - the performance version of the Pontiac 400 that offered 220 net hp in 1978 and 1979. I'm pretty sure these were separate options, though -- I think you could get a WS-6 car without the top motor and visa versa.

There were fourth generatio WS-6 cars as well and there may have been third generation cars. Are you interested in a specific year or generation?

·
Registered
815 Posts
For the 4th gen LS1 and specifically the 2001/2002 the WS6 option for Trans Am gave the Ram Air and the suspension upgrade.

http://ls1.divetx.org/

I know I have the polyeurethane bushings and the standard is the rubber which should give it a stiffer ride. Also, the Ram Air gives it additional HP. You also get the 17x9.5 rims vs the 16x8 rims.

Quote: "RAM AIR PERFORMANCE & HANDLING PKG - inc: Ram Air induction system, functional air scoops, P275/ 40ZR17 tires, 17 high- polished aluminum wheels, specific tuned suspension, specific low- restriction dual outlet exhaust system, 320 horsepower, pwr steering cooler *Affects Color Availability* (N/ A w/ WU6 Firehawk Pkg) Code: WS6"

or

Quote: WS6 Option - Ram Air Performance Package (Formula Coupe/Trans Am Coupe) Includes Ram Air induction system, specific tuned suspension, high polished 17-inch aluminum wheels, P275/40ZR17 speed-rated tires, dual oval high polished exhaust outlets. WS6 was the option code was available on both the Formula and the Trans AM.. This option boosted power to 305 HP and 330 ft-lbs torque on the 96 and 97 models. In 1998 the WS6 boosted power to 320HP and 345 ft-lbs torque.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ramair is a gimmick and provides no physical gains by ramming air into the intake. Any gains are from he cooler more accesible air available.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Jul 14 2004, 12:44 AM
Ramair is a gimmick and provides no physical gains by ramming air into the intake. Any gains are from he cooler more accesible air available.
Then the Ram Air is adding to it. As you said the ram air brings in more cool air.

I had it on the laptop on a 80 degree day and the intake air temp stayed consistant with the outside temp. Also, there is an increase of air with the Ram Air. So, I would have to say that the RAM AIR does increase the HP through gains from increased cold air. Also, it has a 1 inch higher lid to help. :D

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information fellows. The package really had a lot of meat to offer and was worth the extra bucks. Rather than stripes and badges, significant performance gains were obtained.

No, I didn't have any year in mind but I did see a late model Trans Am (yellow) that carried the WS-6 package and it sounded like it meant business as it passed by.

Being more of a Camaro fan, I never did follow Pontiac's F-body. Going to the various car shows, you run across something interesting now and then (such as Olds' W-30 package).

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by actionjack@Jul 13 2004, 04:12 PM
Also, the Ram Air gives it additional HP. You also get the 17x9.5 rims vs the 16x8 rims.
Oh jeez... you know by being on LS1tech that the whole ram air thing is nothing but hype. You're talking fractions of power. You also know that when you strap lets say a Formula on the same dyno as a WS6, they'll be putting down nearly identical numbers.

Don't forget to measure your wheels... The WS6, SS, and Firehawk wheels are 9 inches wide, not 9.5. It's the aftermarket ones that go 9.5". It's a normal misconception.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
In 1979 you could get the WS6 on any Trans Am or Formula. 1979 was the first year that the Pontiac 301 V8 became one of the available engines for the Trans Am, along with the 400 and 403. The WS6 package included the same beefed up suspension components along with the 4 wheel disc brakes. Demand for the 4 wheel disc brakes and the WS6 package was pretty high for 1979, Pontiac offered a separate 4 wheel disc brake option, the WS6 option which included 4 wheel disc brakes, and, when rear disc brake units ran short during the middle of 1979, Pontiac offered another WS6 "like' package, which included all the suspension components, but no rear disc brakes, I dont recall the option code, I think it was called WS7, but I would have to look it up. For 1980, the party was over, the 400 V8 was gone, even the Oldsmobile 403 V8 was gone, the standard engine for the Trans Am was the tiny 301 V8 and the best motor that you could get was the Turbocharged 301 V8 in both the Formula and the Trans Am. The WS6 package was esentially unchanged in its components as far as I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if adding a k&n cold air intake, for example, to a ws6 TA would add any power and be worth getting. Because I believe the dynos tests that k&n does are on stock TA's. So I was wondering if the ws6 upgraded intake would be the same as an after market and not add any power?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts