GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If GM offered something like this for sale to the public, would you buy it?

http://www.rqriley.com/images/gm-lm2.jpg

This was as hell of an interesting little vehicle when I first saw it in the 1980's, It combined the fun of a motorcycle with the all weather protection of a car.

I was trying to find some stats on the car, from what I could find, the car had a 38hp engine, but when from 0-60 in 6.8 seconds and it delivered 168 MPG! It had pedals on the floor to control how the "pod" lean, similar to the rudder controls on an airplane.

What if this could be updated, with some assistance from Suzuki perhaps? It could be sold at GM or Suzuki dealerships, with some fuel injection and advances in computer control, lighter structure, this thing could be both a killer high milliage comuter car and a 1 person sports car.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The seating would have to be comfortable, as well and it would need good ease of entry / exit.

Danger would be people in massive SUV's wouldn't see you (looks lower/smaller than even a motorcycle) and I wouldn't want to be caught in a crash in one.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@May 21 2004, 06:13 PM
Danger would be people in massive SUV's wouldn't see you (looks lower/smaller than even a motorcycle) and I wouldn't want to be caught in a crash in one.
surely with something this small and rounded they could build a sturdy safety-cage. something like 'deomolition man'... the things fills with expanding foam on impact. but it still wouldn't be easily seen. it'll need a big flag sticking up th back (like a kids bike)!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
This looks like something you'd find out of a futuristic movie!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All these posts and not one single "EPCOT" reference.

This was a GM concept car from the 1980's...anyone remember the name? ;)

I do agree though that it would have to be affordable....sub $10,000...about the price of a decent spot bike.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Would I buy it? Hell No!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like odd 3-wheeled minicars like this and the deceased Corbin Sparrow. One of their benefits is that they are classified as motorcycles, and you can therefore drive in HOV (carpool) lanes on the freeway, at least in California, and that would be enough for me to consider getting one if I lived in a congested urban area.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Anyone remember Peter Sellers' car from the movie "The Party"? Looks very similar, except that he had a ragtop.

I'm afraid I wouldn't buy that from any manufacturer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@May 21 2004, 10:52 PM
All these posts and not one single "EPCOT" reference.

This was a GM concept car from the 1980's...anyone remember the name? ;)

I do agree though that it would have to be affordable....sub $10,000...about the price of a decent spot bike.
I remember seeing it there in the innovations building or whatever it was called. I was like 8 years old, and thought it would be cool. If I recall correctly, didn't they say that the throttle and braking controls were on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
A company called Tampa Trike made something similar, I wanted to buy one of those. It was fully enclosed like this one but, the back of the bike was intact (single wheel), The front had the double wheels. What was cool was the body would lean in the direction of the turn to prevent rollover. I would post a picture but I cant find one. I would consider something like this to drive to and from work, but that's only because I don't go on any major roads.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The 1982 GM Lean Machine Concept.

General Motors Corp. described this one as "What may be the first new road vehicle invented durring this centry".
Automatic transmission

30HP

Liquid cooled

0-60 in 7 seconds.

up to 200 miles on a gallon of gas.

---------------------------------------
page 140 of:

"Cars Detroit never built" (1995)
Author: Edward Janicki
Sterling Publishing Co.,Inc. Ney York
ISBN# 0-8069-4254-1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts