Vehicle Information

Used 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Hard Top

Red

AT Car ID: AT-EAD8FB4

$ 6,000

Mileage: 75,000

To see this vehicle on AutoTrader.com, go to
http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT-EAD8FB4

OOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRR.....................

Used 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe

Black

AT Car ID: AT-EA7562F
$ 5,500
Mileage: 97,000
To see this vehicle on AutoTrader.com, go to
http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT-EA7562F

your thoughts?

CobaltSS

Both are manuals...

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Definitely the Z28.. The Vette will likely give you more trouble and it's a LOT more expensive to maintain. Unless you can do all the work yourself.. Trust me.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
What are you planning on doing with it? Will it be a daily driver or a sunday criuser? Are you planning on giving up on the Balt? Please explain your situation or is this just a "what would you do?"

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The old electronics in the Corvette will give you HELL. Go with the Z28. Low tech is great. The biggest trouble spot on that is the optispark, but at least its only 1 item whereas on the Corvette virtually the whole car is a money pit. The liquid crystal gauges alone are a fortune to fix if they break. I would not touch any Corvette from 1984-1991.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go with the Z as it's an overall better daily driver. Make sure to look for abuse (clutch/tranny). You will also have to deal with electrical issues (windows/locks/sensors) but such is life with an F-body.

·
Premium Member
35,875 Posts
!no.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Me, I'd get the Corvette. Everyone's got an F-body. This is a Corvette damn it.

and I like digital gauges

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Depends on what you want it for. If you want a good Sunday cruiser and have the money to keep it up and running get the vette. Otherwise if you have kids and you want to have fun and still have some form of a backseat for when your stuck taking them to daycare then get the Z. If it were a newer vette though I'd go for it personally

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
It would seem too like the average Corvette would get better care than the average Z28 but I don't believe so much in drawing conclusions like that. I doubt any of them have been owned by a little old lady that only drove it to the grocery store and lunch once a week :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
LT1 over L98 anyday of the week.
I dunno if I like the idea of you, Mr.Cobalt, owning a Camaro Z28 though.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Either one is going to cost a motza in fuel. I'd probably get something v6 an light. But of those 2 I'd get the 'vette. Soon it will be too expensive to drive either and they will be either destroyed by angree mobs (a la Knightfans dream) or parked for ever. Keep one, preserve it and ride the bus for the whole year so you can take it out for one summer cruise. :D

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I wouldn't touch the C4 Vette, Too old and too pricey to maintain. Z28 is a cool idea, but arent you the one that's always dismissing LT1/LS1 V8s?

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I would NEVER use an old car as a daily driver if I didn't have a backup. I mean, when it breaks (and that's not IF, it's WHEN) what are you going to drive? Where are you going to work on it? Just some things to keep in mind... I'd really wait and go for the Cobalt over ANYTHING old for a daily driver though.

And even a '95 is getting pretty up there in age... this is right when it's going to start to fall apart too. Still better than an '85 anything.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I would NEVER use an old car as a daily driver if I didn't have a backup. I mean, when it breaks (and that's not IF, it's WHEN) what are you going to drive? Where are you going to work on it? Just some things to keep in mind... I'd really wait and go for the Cobalt over ANYTHING old for a daily driver though.
Depends on how old you go, and if said car tends to have prominent issues. For example ,95-98 Mustangs have fuel leaks, but its an easy fix if you know what you are doing. However something with a not-so-dependable transmission (Read: expensive repairs) I'd steer away from. It pays to look over for recalls/TSBs for the car you are interested in. But a car with a small amount of TSBs/recalls doesn't necessarily mean a trouble free car.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Does the Vette have just a 4 speed or is this one of those that had a 3 speed auto behind the 4 speed...?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts