GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I wonder why though, Doesn't the dealer still get the GMX/GMS/Supplier Discount back from GM?
Yes, they do get reimbursed by GM. As I understand it though, participation may affect their allocation for certain models. Further, if the dealer participates, they are capped to charging no more than $75.00 for documentation fees. In States such as Florida, where dealers charge outrageous documentation and other fees, it decreases their profit margin. So in today's market, many dealers prefer to charge MSRP or higher, plus a few thousand for documentation fees, accessories, lifetime warranties and maintenance plans, etc., versus participating in GM's special programs.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I wonder why though, Doesn't the dealer still get the GMX/GMS/Supplier Discount back from GM?
The why is this in many cases the money back from GM is not as good as what the current market will pay plus there are hassles to the deal and if they have it they have to cut there dealer fee. So while on some cheaper cars it would be worth it to do in many cases they lose money. Right now I can sell most anything on the lot to another dealer for more than sticker. Why would I sale it to a customer trying to get a discount from GM and me. I dont like it either but I understand it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, they do get reimbursed by GM. As I understand it though, participation may affect their allocation for certain models. Further, if the dealer participates, they are capped to charging no more than $75.00 for documentation fees. In States such as Florida, where dealers charge outrageous documentation and other fees, it decreases their profit margin. So in today's market, many dealers prefer to charge MSRP or higher, plus a few thousand for documentation fees, accessories, lifetime warranties and maintenance plans, etc., versus participating in GM's special programs.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The why is this in many cases the money back from GM is not as good as what the current market will pay plus there are hassles to the deal and if they have it they have to cut there dealer fee. So while on some cheaper cars it would be worth it to do in many cases they lose money. Right now I can sell most anything on the lot to another dealer for more than sticker. Why would I sale it to a customer trying to get a discount from GM and me. I dont like it either but I understand it.
Thanks for the comments, they just alienated the customers, under the current situation, they are already making more money they ever has, anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Thanks for the comments, they just alienated the customers, under the current situation, they are already making more money they ever has, anyway, thanks again.
Making more than ever is not always true. As a small dealer yes our profit per vehilce is up but like this month I have sold 8 of our 10 new vehicles. I have 4 vehicles that if I am lucky will be coming in next month no trucks which means I will not be paid more than likely next month. Our used market has stopped and we cant buy from the auction due to the high prices. My boss joked that we can all take a month off next month. I thought it was a joke but the next thing he said was unless I had someone coming in for Saturday I could just keep the store closed. (Small town life we are only open till noon and in most cases its a non day we rarely see anyone.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Making more than ever is not always true. As a small dealer yes our profit per vehilce is up but like this month I have sold 8 of our 10 new vehicles. I have 4 vehicles that if I am lucky will be coming in next month no trucks which means I will not be paid more than likely next month. Our used market has stopped and we cant buy from the auction due to the high prices. My boss joked that we can all take a month off next month. I thought it was a joke but the next thing he said was unless I had someone coming in for Saturday I could just keep the store closed. (Small town life we are only open till noon and in most cases its a non day we rarely see anyone.)
I get a kick out of all the clueless folks that think every dealer is killing their customers on every deal unless he gives them whatever they think they deserve.

It's a tough business to be in for the long run. Things like the last couple years are all too common for whatever reasons. Truth is the profit centers in most new car franchises are used cars and the parts dept. Unless they're really pounding on the back room, new isn't all that great, but it's a necessary evil to be able to have the signs. Like you I worked in a small town setting, and it changed as the population center grew towards us so we had to shift gears.

The OP's original post sounded pretty entitled to me. Why in the world would you expect a random exec to give you access to a personal perk? Because you asked? Get over yourself. Go do the research, find the deals. My bro found a fantastic deal on a Buick last spring when there were "no new cars" by scouring the 'net, being willing to travel a little, and being willing to buy something that wasn't an exact match for his choices but was close enough.

All this chip nonsense has me back to my idea of finding a nice clean survivor 60s-70s mid size wagon and modernizing it for daily use. At least you could get parts for it. How long before cars already on the road are parked because a part with a chip in it isn't available?

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Then what brand is piling on incentives right now?

Are you complaining about the big check you'll get for your trade-in? I haven't seen any numbers, but I bet the increase in trade-in values will offset a big chunk of your lack of incentives on a new purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Politely and respectfully asking/requesting, does not translate/extrapolate into any sense of entitlement and expectation. I knew a GM executive that assisted us many years ago with a GEX authorization code. However, he has since retired, and is no longer able to do so. I was informed that they are encouraged to disseminate their allotted GEX authorization codes, in order to entice more consumers to try out a GM product, versus a competitor’s brand. It is a mutually beneficial proposition, both for GM and for the consumer – as the consumer receives a discount, and GM a new client/customer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Politely and respectfully asking/requesting, does not translate/extrapolate into any sense of entitlement and expectation. I knew a GM executive that assisted us many years ago with a GEX authorization code. However, he has since retired, and is no longer able to do so. I was informed that they are encouraged to disseminate their allotted GEX authorization codes, in order to entice more consumers to try out a GM product, versus a competitor’s brand. It is a mutually beneficial proposition, both for GM and for the consumer – as the consumer receives a discount, and GM a new client/customer.
Yes… If you don’t ask, you don’t receive. Good for you and you dispatched with the resident fools with class

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,276 Posts
In my experience, I contacted many dealerships, and while some are not participating/honoring GM's Programs, I located several that will honor Supplier/GMS/GEX for either an in-stock or ordered unit - despite the shortages. It really boils down to "numbers". The more dealerships that you contact throughout your State, the better that the odds become stacked in your favor. You have to be willing to travel several hundred miles though, if need be.
I had an aunt that worked for gm for many years and then retired. Our family, parents and I, used to go through her and get a discount but with tougher times and the fact that she's been retired now for so long that's come to an end. I bought a 2004 Le Sabre that had a $4,000 rebate on them and the dealer also honored the GMS giving me around 8 grand off +/- on a Custom Best Seller model. Nicest dang "car" I ever had. :) ... Edit: It stickered for over 28K and I got it for $20,495.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
This thread has taken on a life of its own. No issue from me with your asking! If you never ask, you'll never "get".

People can get on their soapbox, but in the end, when it comes to money out of our own pockets we do the best we can to keep as much of that money in our own pockets. It's worth a shot to try to get the code, though I don't think GM exec's visit this site anymore.

Don't be a stranger to GMI - jump in on the other threads!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
This thread has taken on a life of its own. No issue from me with your asking! If you never ask, you'll never "get".

People can get on their soapbox, but in the end, when it comes to money out of our own pockets we do the best we can to keep as much of that money in our own pockets. It's worth a shot to try to get the code, though I don't think GM exec's visit this site anymore.

Don't be a stranger to GMI - jump in on the other threads!
Yeah, Mary doesn't need anymore gold toilet paper to wipe with.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Most dealers aren’t honoring any discounts right now anyway. I had GMS and they wouldn’t take it. Straight MSRP less GM rebates only.
That is crazy-terrible!

Reactions: ZQ8 and 1958carnut

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
That is crazy-terrible!
The crazy thing is at sticker less rebates they are losing money. Dealers are paying on vehicles 5 to 10k over sticker with some going as high as 15k over. Thats a dealer plus he is paying transportation and a finders fee to locators who find them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The crazy thing is at sticker less rebates they are losing money. Dealers are paying on vehicles 5 to 10k over sticker with some going as high as 15k over. Thats a dealer plus he is paying transportation and a finders fee to locators who find them.
Are you saying the dealers that are paying up to 15K over sticker to GM or to other dealers? I assumed it is to other dealers, then if they are losing money on these "gouging consumers" deals then they deserve the outcome.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Are you saying the dealers that are paying up to 15K over sticker to GM or to other dealers? I assumed it is to other dealers, then if they are losing money on these "gouging consumers" deals then they deserve the outcome.
To other dealers as a small dealer its hard to pass it up.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I am not certain how my particular thread, out ot dozens below on this specific section/page requesting assistance for the same matter, has prompted so many useless, negative, and non-helpful/contributing replies/posts. My thread is well intentioned. I am being respecful and attempting to address comments, but none are productive, helpful, or positive. Can we move along, and only reply/post if you are able to assist? What is the purpose/agenda for badgering me? Afterall, my thread was simply posted requesting assistance from a GM Executive (or from anyone that perhaps knows one), if one happens to be reading or browsing the Forums. I signed up now, but have been reading threads/posts for some time. Thank you for your understanding.
Can't help you getting a GEX Authorization number, but I"m curious as to how you heard about it? And even more importantly, have you found a dealer willing to sell a vehicle at that discount? We'll honor GMS pricing, but only on people who've done business with us previously.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Hi Jonny! I obtained one many years ago from a GM Executive. However, he has since retired, and I do not have another Executive contact as of now. As mentioned in my previous posts, GM Executives are encouraged to disseminate as many as they are authorized to do so, in order to entice more customers to try out and to remain loyal to the GM brand. It poses a win-win situation for both the customer and GM. A good friend that used to work for one of the highest volume Corvette dealerships in the country mentioned to me that GM actually reimburses the dealership more monies for GEX, when compared to GMS - even though the discount level is the same to the customer. And to answer your other question, yes, I have located and secured a dealer that will accept/honor the GEX authorization code.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.