GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I travel for work a few times a year. This week I took part in Product Plus Training for GM.

I've driven a number of different rental vehicles. I usually enjoy driving the competition. Not this time.

I was given the keys to a Nissan Sentra. The back seat was roomy, it's not a bad looking car, and the truck room was ample. The centre stack controls were simple and plain, easy to use. Most of the interior material seemed like good quality. That's about it.

The Sentra has to be one of the most boring cars I have ever driven. Usually small cars are fun to drive, not the Sentra. The ride was ok but it handled poorly. The CVT was loud to the point of annoyance. It was underpowered as well. I tried the ECO button just to say I did but I quickly turned it off. Upon acceleration from a stop, the car wanted to dart to the left for some reason. More than you would expect from a front wheel drive. Maybe it was the tires, I'm not sure.

Every time I turned in or out of a parking spot, I hit the steering wheel radio controls and changed the channel. A number of times I accidentally turned off the overdrive when I shifted into drive. The button was too easy to hit when I shifted. No worries, you'll notice very quickly when the whining noise sounds like the car is about to explode.

The interior lighting is horrible. This feature alone turned me off completely. It was dark when I took the car. I started it, none of the dash lights came on. I couldn't see any of the buttons. I turned on the map lights but they were too dim to be of any use. I searched but eventually gave up. When I stopped at the hotel, I had a hard time unlocking the door to get out. For some reason, most times the doors didn't unlock when I turned the car off or put it into park. Maybe I did something wrong. It did have push button start.

The next day I was determined to find the lighting controls. In the daylight, I found the dial on the turn signal lever. However, the controls in the door never did light up. I couldn't see the buttons to unlock the door or power down the drivers window at the drive thru. Why would these controls not light up? GM do a much better job with auto lighting.

The seat belt was also a pain. The buckle kept dropping between the seat and the door. I had to reach down every time and search for it to buckle up.

On the way back to the airport I had to fill up. It was raining and blowing really hard. I had to hold onto my hat to keep it on my head so I wanted fill up quickly. The filler door is on the passenger side ( I hate that ). When I attempted to open the fuel door I realized I had to release it from the inside. ( I hate that as well) However, I couldn't find the release control. Eventually I got down on one knee and found it under the dash next to the hood release control. Finally, I filled up. Then I noticed the gas cap was gone. The cable had fallen off and it rolled under the car. Lucky for me it was just within reach so I didn't have to move the car to get it.

I also didn't like the placement of the USB port. It took me a minute to find it but it was situated inside the centre bin on the back. It was a nuisance trying to attach the cable. Plus, in the dark, it's hard to see. It was covered by a little flap that added to the difficulty.

I found the seating uncomfortable. After 10 minutes, my left hip started to hurt. I'm a big guy, it's a small car. Maybe other people would be fine with the seats.

Over the last couple of years, I've rented the Focus, Corolla, Fusion, Altima, Caravan, and numerous GMs. This is the first time I've hated my rental. The interior lighting issue alone is a deal breaker. I think Nissan can do a better job in that department.

Reactions: paul8488

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Use the Emerald Aisle......they will rarely let you down. And after a few rentals you can upgrade to almost anything on the lot for the same price. I usually take an Impala or a Lacrosse.
Worse I ever got was Berettas back in the day......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You have recently rented a Corolla, and this was the first time you hated a rental? Really? I rented a Corolla in Vegas earlier this month when I went to the Nellis AFB airshow. What a total piece of shyte! Cheap plastics, horrible seats, gutless engine, poor tranny (it seemed to have 4 speeds- that can't right, is it?), gas cap lever under the driver's seat (practically), generally horrible ergonomics, terrible radio, LCD screen out of the eighties (and I'm insulting the eighties), handling was limp, ride was okay but choppy. In other words, at all times, you were acutely aware you were driving a cheap car, were being punished for not forking out more cash.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am not surprised, my parents switched to Nissan after being loyal Ford owners (and one GM ;) ) for years just because Nissan was "willing to deal" and I was not really impressed with any of them except the quietness of the interior. The handling on both their Altimas leave a lot to be desired and the turning circle is HUGE on every Nissan I have driven.

I also travel for work every few times a year but by far the worst rental I had was the last trip 2 months ago to Atlanta and it was a 2014 Chrysler 200, last year for the current style... SORRY NEANDERTHAL.
It had the underpowered 2.4L and 4 speed automatic and nothing inside was power except mirrors, locks, and windows. The seats were both manual and there wasn't even blue tooth. Christ the Hyundais, Fords, an Chevys I've rented all had blue tooth. Merging onto those crazy Atlanta Highways in that underpowered turd was scary I would floor it and it made a ton of noise but went no where. :eek:

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
I couldn't find my Soul rental write-up from 2011-2012, but IIRC it was the cheapest Nissan that was offered to me as a rental when I banged on the door after my flight landed at Detroit Metro at 0300. Rubber floor, no cupholders, interior gave cheap a bad name, made a 65 Ford Custom cab look deluxe in comparison.

It was my good fortune that a not-scrubbed Soul was on the lot and at that time of night, all the rental company wanted to do was get me into a car and off their lot.

The only other recent drive I recall as being pretty much a POS was a Corolla. A Civic was far nicer.

I am not surprised, my parents switched to Nissan after being loyal Ford owners (and one GM ;) ) for years just because Nissan was "willing to deal" and I was not really impressed with any of them except the quietness of the interior. The handling on both their Altimas leave a lot to be desired and the turning circle is HUGE on every Nissan I have driven.

I also travel for work every few times a year but by far the worst rental I had was the last trip 2 months ago to Atlanta and it was a 2014 Chrysler 200, last year for the current style... SORRY NEANDERTHAL.
It had the underpowered 2.4L and 4 speed automatic and nothing inside was power except mirrors, locks, and windows. The seats were both manual and there wasn't even blue tooth. Christ the Hyundais, Fords, an Chevys I've rented all had blue tooth. Merging onto those crazy Atlanta Highways in that underpowered turd was scary I would floor it and it made a ton of noise but went no where. :eek:
No harm no foul! I never drove a four, we drove several V6s and from what I've read that mill/trannie is what makes the car. Or not if you get the slug version with 4A.

I still like the 200s and were I in the market for a bargain like that it would be on my short list.

V6 good. I4 bad. :drive:

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I was given a Nissan Versa as a rental 3 years ago and at -30 the thing would NOT start at all and was noisy and gutless with NO grip at all and NO ABS
the Corolla I had for 2 weeks as a loaner WAS an IMPROVEMENT over the Versa

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have recently rented a Corolla, and this was the first time you hated a rental? Really? I rented a Corolla in Vegas earlier this month when I went to the Nellis AFB airshow. What a total piece of shyte! Cheap plastics, horrible seats, gutless engine, poor tranny (it seemed to have 4 speeds- that can't right, is it?), gas cap lever under the driver's seat (practically), generally horrible ergonomics, terrible radio, LCD screen out of the eighties (and I'm insulting the eighties), handling was limp, ride was okay but choppy. In other words, at all times, you were acutely aware you were driving a cheap car, were being punished for not forking out more cash.
I didn't care for the Corolla either. However, it didn't bother me like the Nissan did. The Corolla had the worst interior but overall I disliked the Sentra more. My biggest beef was the interior lighting. It really irritated me. GM does lighting very well. Fully auto is the only way to go these days.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
The worst car rental I ever had was a Kia Rio, slow, noisy, felt every bump, middling fuel economy. I rented it because I was curious about that brand; perhaps they have improved but they were at a very low level to begin with.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I personally have a hard time saying any rental car I have had in the past couple years is bad. I still have vivid memories of rental cars I had from the early and mid 1990's. The WORST and CHEAPEST car you can get today performs a lot better and is more comfortable than just about every entry level one I had in the past---so I can't complain too much about what is out there now.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
My worst rentals have been VW's. Specifically 1.8/2.5 Jettas. The seats are like sitting on stones. The 1.8 is a gutless turd and the 2.5 is a noisy odd sounding bugger that does nothing particularly well. They don't even handle as well as I remember years ago and road noise from the performance tires is a constant companion. I honestly do not see what all the VW hype is all about. Perhaps the larger Passat is better but it's interior still looks low rent and the seats are still too hard. One particular 2011 Jetta was actually leaking oil from somewhere in the engine and made several spots on my driveway. That car was brought back to Enterprise and they gave me a 2012 Elantra which was a superior car in many ways.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
PT Cruiser was by the far the worst car I've ever had to drive

·
Registered
21,369 Posts
PT Cruiser was by the far the worst car I've ever had to drive

What didn't you like about the PT?

I had one and the only thing I remember was how comfortable the seating position was, ironically the HHR I had a short time later, gave me the exact opposite feeling.

-------------------

I think my worst was a Mazda 2 with about 40K........ ready for the junk-yard, I should have made them give me something else, but I toughed it out, to make a point, from there on out, I never got any grief from my boss about reasonable upgrades. :yup:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
What didn't you like about the PT?

I had one and the only thing I remember was how comfortable the seating position was, ironically the HHR I had a short time later, gave me the exact opposite feeling.

-------------------

I think my worst was a Mazda 2 with about 40K........ ready for the junk-yard, I should have made them give me something else, but I toughed it out, to make a point, from there on out, I never got any grief from my boss about reasonable upgrades. :yup:
Considering the PT's exterior, and interior, hasn't really changed from 2001 I don't think you need pix...

It's off white with gray interior. It's a car in Enterprise's "intermediate" group. I asked to exchange it because I needed the extra cargo room; I had an '07 Cobalt LS sedan from them. Surprisingly, the PT has power locks, windows, mirrows, and basic things like that. The Cobalt was a stripper without all that. The PT is a 4 door hatch versus a sedan, but I don't think it would be odd to cross shop the two.

The PT has Chrysler's 2.4L DOHC and a 4 speed auto. The motor always feels taxed at any speed and RPM. It's pretty rough sounding and feeling at idle and isn't particularly quiet. It's acceptable when driving. There aren't any "dead spots" in the RPM range...its always dead. I'd consider the Cobalt with its 2.2L to be fast compared to the PT, including better low end torque and a great 4 speed auto.

I don't like the transmission's ratios or programming. On the freeway no matter how gentle I am I can't get the torque converter to just unlock and stay in overdrive, though there wouldn't be much acceleration anyway if it could due to the motor's weakness. When it upshifts to 2nd you have to give it quite a bit more gas for steady acceleration (I'm not even talking hard acceleration). It drops right off. This shift isn't smooth either.

It has rear drums but stopping performance is good. It seems to handle fairly well though to me steering is heavy at low speed. Its riding on Goodyear Eagles which grip pretty well when cornering and seems pretty good in snow.

Road and wind noise are acceptable, noticeably less road noise than the Cobalt. I find the seat uncomfortable, the front of it's too high so theres too much pressure on my hips. No adjustment is offered. Seating is fine except for this. Who the hell decided to put the window switches on the dashboard above the radio? Materials are typical Chrysler hard grey plastic with "casting flashing" visible in some obvious places. The texture isn't bad though. Audio system is comprised of 6 speakers and has an aux input. It sounds great and is quite better than the Cobalt's.

The rear cargo area has a "shelf" that can be placed to cover a "cargo well" between the back seats and tailgate. It's too flimsy. It flexes while carrying some weight that I wouldn't at all consider odd for someone to put in the back of a small hatch. I've been afraid of breaking it a few times and having to visit a junkyard for one before I bring it back to Enterprise.

I don't understand why these sell. I haven't driven one but considering its Delta platform I think the HHR would be a great vehicle in comparison. I wish Enterprise had them. I'm not going to miss this vehicle at all.
from my 2007 review:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f44/07-pt-cruiser-touring-58830/

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
From what I understand Family Truckster, you no longer Sell GM's.

But back in my Day Product Pro or Plus was a great way to see what "You were selling against" How does the Creuze line up to the Sentra or Focus.

Ford doesn't do it, but honestly they should. Train the sale's people what they are selling against. The Fajita would kill the Spark, Focus against the Cruze would be close. Fusion against the Malibu? another close one.

But lets teach the Sales People, "Why what they are selling is the Best you can buy" Sitting in the competition is a Great Start."

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I'm too easily amused, so I like almost every rental I've ever driven... but the Fiat 500 I had two years ago in Canada was pretty unpleasant, as it had a horrible automatic gearbox that sucked every last drop of fun out of it. I have no problem with a good automatic transmission, but that was not a good automatic transmission.

Nissan's small models bore me, the past three generations of Sentra have no appeal to me in the least. Versa is one of the few cars that I really feel negative about (design-wise), usually I'm just neutral on cars I don't love.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Reactions: Smaart Aas Saabr
1 - 19 of 19 Posts