GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016...s-the-worlds-first-programmable-supercharger/

The ProCharger i-1 is the World’s First Programmable Supercharger

The folks at ProCharger have become the first in the industry to offer programmable ratio transmission design, long considered the “Holy Grail” of supercharging.

A lot of companies have talked about it and tried to come up with it, but ProCharger says it’s the first to perfect such a system and bring it to market.

Best of all, now the company is offering the new supercharger system for C7 Corvettes.

What the new system means is that drivers can program the boost level they want to reach, while also programming the boost “curve” itself to help tremendously in traction limited situations.

“This latest addition to the ProCharger line produces not only the largest power gains but also the ultimate performance curve with an intelligent control system and an optional touch screen display,” says Ken Jones, ProCharger CEO.

Drivers can switch between three factory-supplied performance modes as well as a custom mode.

It wasn’t easy coming up with the new system, company officials say.

Known as the i-1 system, it took four years of an intensive research and development process to go from original design to testing.

“Several of the technologies that are present in the i-1 are not only new to ProCharger as a company but new to the entire industry,” says Cliff Hall, automotive engineering manager. “So we had to assemble the right team to make it happen, but I can’t emphasize how much of a team approach it’s been to get here and bring this revolutionary product to market.”

The company has produced a video explaining the new system and all the hard work it took to produce it.

The end result is a much more efficient supercharger, the company says, that produces cooler supercharger temperatures that mean drivers will see more power for the same boost level for the same stress on the engine.

As one ProCharger worker says in the video, you can take a mild-mannered street car and turn it into a race car.

CEO Jones concludes the i-1 is the ultimate. That just sounds like a challenge to the team at ProCharger to us.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Pretty cool stuff!

·
Premium Member
32,778 Posts
I would like a low boost system to bring my traverse to about 350 BHP and about 350 lbs of torques. Sometime you just need the groceries in a hurry

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry folks, I didn't realize that the video does such a poor job of explaining the tech and how it works. The vid comes across as nothing more than an infomercial, and I let my enthusiasm for the tech take over my common sense for what makes a good video.

·
Registered
18,121 Posts
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I doubt we will see too many actual technical aspects of the i3 out in the public soon.

Its basically a CVT supercharger.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Sorry folks, I didn't realize that the video does such a poor job of explaining the tech and how it works. The vid comes across as nothing more than an infomercial, and I let my enthusiasm for the tech take over my common sense for what makes a good video.
Yeah, you're right. I would've preferred a presentation showing how they're able to vary the vanes and show how this supercharger performs compared to one just like it but without the variability. I still enjoyed the vid, though. If it's truly something revolutionary, the rags may pick up on it somewhere and explain the details.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I would've preferred a presentation showing how they're able to vary the vanes and show how this supercharger performs compared to one just like it but without the variability. I still enjoyed the vid, though. If it's truly something revolutionary, the rags may pick up on it somewhere and explain the details.
They aren't varying the vanes, they're varying the drive ratio... think of it as computer controlled pulley swaps. The reason that they're saying that it feels like a Roots at low (engine) speed is because they can program in a high drive ratio at low engine RPM (thus spinning the supercharger faster vs. engine speed), then taper off the drive ratio as (engine) RPM climbs (thus keeping the wheel/housing it its max efficiency range).

But I agree that it would be cool to see idle-redline pulls of the same compressor both with and without the variable ratio tech (or at the very least, lock the drive ratio at a given value).

·
Registered
18,121 Posts
They aren't varying the vanes, they're varying the drive ratio... think of it as computer controlled pulley swaps. The reason that they're saying that it feels like a Roots at low (engine) speed is because they can program in a high drive ratio at low engine RPM (thus spinning the supercharger faster vs. engine speed), then taper off the drive ratio as (engine) RPM climbs (thus keeping the wheel/housing it its max efficiency range).

But I agree that it would be cool to see idle-redline pulls of the same compressor both with and without the variable ratio tech (or at the very least, lock the drive ratio at a given value).
It's basically an overdriven SC at low speeds and then becomes a 1:1 at higher RPMs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts