GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Without camouflage: Chevrolet Malibu redesigned for China (current-gen)
New front with similar details Impala
February 2, 2015
AutoHome

*Original article in Chinese: Here

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Without camouflage: (current-gen) Chevrolet Malibu redesigned for China

Spied for the first time last year. The photos:

Although the quality is very, very low, it can be seen that the front has design cues from the Impala and the latest updates submitted in China; Aveo, Cruze and Sail. The side remains the same. And not much to say rear, besides losing the headlights divided "inspired Camaro".

The interior will also have new design:

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

Well... it's ok, nothing great
I believe this is for China/Asia only. I think the North American one will be quite different.

Reactions: johnstarnes

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

I believe this is for China/Asia only. I think the North American one will be quite different.
Indeed! This will not reach North America.

What we see is, the (true) redesign mid-cycle of the current and first global generation of Malibu; which is a hit in China because it has exceeded sales of its predecessor (Chevrolet Epica), unlike what happens in the US market.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I hope this isn't coming here, that screen is comically small, and even though it's presumably an LS or LT-1, there isn't much more space around it for it to grow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not bad. Current car looks much better though.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts

I agree with others that this is an improvement over our version (which still looks awfully odd to me).

Still, this is nothing more than an MCE for their local Malibu, right?
Spied for the first time last year. The photos:

Although the quality is very, very low, it can be seen that the front has design cues from the Impala and the latest updates submitted in China; Aveo, Cruze and Sail. The side remains the same. And not much to say rear, besides losing the headlights divided "inspired Camaro".

The interior will also have new design:

The exterior pictures are clearly our Malibu with a revised front (and I'm assuming rear) end. However, in this interior pic, is this their interior update to coincide with their update or is this interior pic of the next Malibu that is yet to be revealed?

·
Registered
179 Posts
How many ways is GM going to redo this car? I just don't understand how they screwed it up so bad in the first place? The Cruze and Impala are such attractive cars. I just don't get it?

I had some bodywork done to my Silverado and they gave me a Malibu as a rental -- had it for half a day and couldn't take the ugliness anymore so I brought it back and got a Cruze -- so, so, so much better!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I
How many ways is GM going to redo this car? I just don't understand how they screwed it up so bad in the first place? The Cruze and Impala are such attractive cars. I just don't get it? !
Old GM thought they could send out any shrunken crap and we'd buy it. Then it took so long to be introduced, it was Class-leading in NO way. And with strong competition against it, there was no compelling reason to buy it. And so very few have bought it.
If new GM truly believes in producing the best cars they can, then there Is hope.

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
How many ways is GM going to redo this car? I just don't understand how they screwed it up so bad in the first place? The Cruze and Impala are such attractive cars. I just don't get it?

I had some bodywork done to my Silverado and they gave me a Malibu as a rental -- had it for half a day and couldn't take the ugliness anymore so I brought it back and got a Cruze -- so, so, so much better!
GM never updated the Malibu for overseas markets when they did the NA model. That's why this MCE is showing up now for China.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Yeah, that looks like a facelifted version of the current Malibu. The roof line, rear fenders, and decklid are identical to what we have now. Hopefully, this car stays in China while we get our own all-new (and much better) version soon.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts

The Current Cruze is ugly as **** you might need to go to specsavers ;)

·
Premium Member
36,290 Posts
Uh. That's not a Forte?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts