GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-in-Class Facility for Production of Renewable Diesel to be Co-located at Pulp and Paper Mill in Park Falls, WI

PARK FALLS, Wis., July 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Flambeau River BioFuels is pleased to announce that it has received approval of its $30 million grant request from the U.S. Department of Energy to construct and operate a first- in-class biorefinery at an existing pulp and paper mill in Park Falls, Wisconsin. ...

When in full operation, the biorefinery will produce at least 6 million gallons of liquid fuels per year in the form of renewable sulfur-free diesel. The biorefinery will not be dependent on any food-based feedstock materials, but rather on by-products or residuals from forest and agricultural sources. The biorefinery will also generate at least 1 trillion BTUs per year of process heat that will be sold to Flambeau River Papers, which will make it the first integrated pulp and paper mill in North America to be fossil fuel free.

·
Registered
463 Posts
In New Brunswick the UPM mill in the Miramichi is apparently looking to convert to a biofuel plant. Apparently a company called Acradia is looking to convert the existing plant since UPM shut it down. I think that the biofuel business will definately be more sustainable in the long run.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is what needs to happen.

Companies with excess biomass resources need to get into the biofuel
industry, since the transportation costs will stifle any price benefits until more
vehicles run on biofuels.

The tide is beginning to turn, and I may get lynched for saying this, but I hope that
gas prices stay near where they are for a little while longer until all of these
biofuel startups can get the groundwork laid. Then we won't have to worry anymore about
gigantic fluctuations in energy prices, and the economy can return to normal.

Plus, we can reduce our dependance on foreign oil and maybe even stop trying to run the world by proxy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is what needs to happen.

Companies with excess biomass resources need to get into the biofuel
industry, since the transportation costs will stifle any price benefits until more
vehicles run on biofuels.

The tide is beginning to turn, and I may get lynched for saying this, but I hope that
gas prices stay near where they are for a little while longer until all of these
biofuel startups can get the groundwork laid. Then we won't have to worry anymore about
gigantic fluctuations in energy prices, and the economy can return to normal.

Plus, we can reduce our dependance on foreign oil and maybe even stop trying to run the world by proxy.

No lynching here. (Not from me, anyway.) I think a lot of people here would agree with you. This is what America has always been about. It's easy to try "conserving" your way out of problems, but that's a lot like companies "cost-cutting" their way out of trouble. It never really works. What we need to do is INVENT a solution to the problem, and keep hammering at it until the problem is corrected.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this turns out because there are quite a few paper mills in WI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts