GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A major winter storm that was slated to hit large swaths of the country with snow, ice and freezing temperatures this week prompted Detroit automakers to pull back on production — the latest in a recent string of manufacturing disruptions that have threatened the auto industry's recovery from the coronavirus crisis.

Ford Motor Co. confirmed Monday that it had cancelled operations at its Kansas City Assembly Plant in Missouri beginning this past Saturday and continuing until Feb. 22. And General Motors Co. said it would have weather-related production impacts at four plants in Texas, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The weather-related production cuts effectively are delivering a double whammy to some of the U.S industry's most profitable vehicles, as the automakers continue to navigate the deepening effects of a global microchip shortage.

"Due to unseasonably cold temperatures in the midsection of the United States, Ford was warned that the availability of natural gas could be restricted in the Kansas City area in the coming days," company spokeswoman Kelli Felker said in a statement. The decision to cancel production this week, she said, was made "to ensure we minimize our use of natural gas that is critical to heat people's homes."

Kansas City Assembly builds the F-150 pickup, Ford's cash cow. The Dearborn automaker is in the midst of launching the new 2021 model year of the truck. Kansas City also builds the Transit cargo van.

GM said Monday that it had canceled three shifts Sunday and Monday at its Arlington Assembly Plant in Texas, which builds the GMC Yukon, Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe, and the Cadillac Escalade.

Monday's second shift was cancelled at GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant in Kentucky, which builds Corvettes, as well as at the automaker's Wentzville Assembly Plant in Missouri, which makes the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Chevy Express and GMC Savana.

And three shifts were cancelled between Sunday and Monday at GM's Spring Hill Assembly Plant in Tennessee, which builds the Cadillac XT5 and XT6, GMC Acadia, and Holden Acadia, as well as engines.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
Suck it Up Buttercup!

Frig, we have been enduring -30-50F temps the past week and a half. No shutdowns. Except School Busses don't run at -35C (without the Windchill) but they run at -45C with the windchill.
Y'all Canadians are a hardy bunch of people! Americans who live in states that border Canada are probably going about their daily lives with nary a disruption, too. ;)

As for the Mid South U.S., dang it's too cold to do anything but stay home indoors!!

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
Y'all Canadians are a hardy bunch of people! Americans who live in states that border Canada are probably going about their daily lives with nary a disruption, too. ;)

As for the Mid South U.S., dang it's too cold to do anything but stay home indoors!!
And that cold had spread to Mexico. "Extremely Dangerous" Weather, Grid Chaos Sparks Outages Across 15 US States, Spreads To Mexico | ZeroHedge

Btw, I got flashbacks from this King of the Hill episode.

If you want to check the whole episode. ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
What a time for the weather patterns to change, and the infrastructure is not prepared for it. If this becomes the new normal, the US will need to invest in some weatherproofing.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
But remember, when we were young we had to walk to school... uphill, in a blizzard, both ways ;)
With old newspaper as shoes? Yup, I remember. ;)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have to laugh at all of these Southerners that can't handle an inch of snow and some cooler weather for a few days. I thought they were tougher than that.
We're tough, but not that tough. To Southerners, William Tecumseh Sherman for example was a fierce adversary worth fighting. Ol' Man Winter, on the other hand, is not worth the effort so we might as well concede defeat to him immediately. ;)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-79F (with the Windchill) I went Snowmobiling. Wasted a full propane tank on a torch to heat up the snowmobile's block to get it to start. Smoked a belt getting the track to turn, rode 10 miles across a lake to a Radar Run, frost bite my right cheek. Made 2 runs and won Stock and Mod in my division. 2, $3.00 trophies. It was so cold that a Main Jet fell out of 1 carb. I had to disassemble it and screw it back in place. Then rode home.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
-79F (with the Windchill) I went Snowmobiling. Wasted a full propane tank on a torch to heat up the snowmobile's block to get it to start. Smoked a belt getting the track to turn, rode 10 miles across a lake to a Radar Run, frost bite my right cheek. Made 2 runs and won Stock and Mod in my division. 2, $3.00 trophies. It was so cold that a Main Jet fell out of 1 carb. I had to disassemble it and screw it back in place. Then rode home.
You need a new hobby.:geek:

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
That doesn't sound fun at all.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Suck it Up Buttercup!

Frig, we have been enduring -30-50F temps the past week and a half. No shutdowns. Except School Busses don't run at -35C (without the Windchill) but they run at -45C with the windchill.
Places that regularly experience cold weather are prepared. They have the equipment to clear the roads and people know how to drive in snow etc. Places that don't get snow on a regular basis can't justify the cost of maintaining the infrastructure to deal with heavy snow that may come once a decade or so and people aren't used to driving in the snow. It's not about being tough or not; it's about optimizing resources to best handle what you usually need to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
20,888 Posts
Places that regularly experience cold weather are prepared. They have the equipment to clear the roads and people know how to drive in snow etc. Places that don't get snow on a regular basis can't justify the cost of maintaining the infrastructure to deal with heavy snow that may come once a decade or so and people aren't used to driving in the snow. It's not about being tough or not; it's about optimizing resources to best handle what you usually need to deal with.
This...I mean "Superstorm" Sandy wreaked havoc up north.

It was a Category 2 by the time it reached there. Floridians are still driving to work and school and having barbecues in a Cat 2.

The same people talking **** about southerners during this cold spell are the same people who come down on vacation then drive 20 MPH on I-4 with their hazards on during the daily summer monsoons here.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
True. We go through much the same around these parts because snow doesn't happen all that much here, which is why I boast ;) about it over in the GMI Weather Thread.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
It's not about being tough or not; it's about optimizing resources to best handle what you usually need to deal with.
Sun people are tough in different ways than ice people.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Suck it Up Buttercup!

I'd move, those temps are absurd. Florida would be real appealing.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd move, those temps are absurd. Florida would be real appealing.
Went to Disney World in February 2007. The theme park lines were Crazy Long, the Water Park @ 65F lines were short, mostly Canadians Only.

There were Floridians wearing Snow Boots at 65F?

The only place that felt cool was Daytona, with a wind off of the Ocean.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
us Canucks get mighty "wingy" when it is 110F+ humidex and new mexico they lower a shade on the windows and go on like nothing
Yes we do, In the summer when the heat comes back and it gets up there pushing 110 we just carry on, maybe slowing down a bit is all :). Thing that gets me is you can always throw on layers for the cold but the heat is a whole nuther story. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.