1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winnebago shares rally on report

By CBS MarketWatch
Last Update: 1:36 PM ET June 17, 2004

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Winnebago Industries' net income more than doubled in the third quarter on strength in its diesel-powered product line, the motor-home maThe results impressed Wall Street, with investors bidding shares of the Forest City, Iowa-based compan as much as 16 percent higher on the session. The shares traded lately at $36.93, up $4.85, or 15.2 percent.

Winnebago's net income from continuing operations amounted to $17.7 million, or 51 cents per share, for the three months ended May 29, up from $9 million or 24 cents earned on a comparable basis in the fiscal 2003 quarter.

Revenue for the latest quarter rose to $310.2 million from $200.2 million in the year-ago period, buoyed by the strong diesel sales that reflected continued good acceptance of models introduced last fall.

According to Thomson First Call, analysts who follow Winnebago had expected the company to earn, on average, 46 cents a share on revenue of $281.6 million.

"We experienced a 127 percent increase in diesel motor homes delivered during the third quarter vs. the same period a year ago," Chief Executive Bruce Hertzke said in a statement.

Full Article Here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so its not quite "car" industry news, but I thought it was neat.

I always liked those Dodge cutaway van-based Winnebagos with the "W"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually, I think this is a perfect news article for this site.

The reason: I think this is a huge potential market for hybrid engines. GM should be all over this market. This is a perfect opportunity for GM to validate the usefulness and durability of their technology. Think RV purchasers to also be willing to pay the extra price for the technology. I realize that Hybrids are most effective in stop-n-go traffic and that RVs primarily are interstate cruisers, but the ability to also use the system as a generator and power supply would give a real compeitive advantage for whichever maker provides them.

Mate the hybrid system with a diesel engine and I would think that it would make for a well equiped RV.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
So which market force will have a bigger effect on Winnebago's fortunes: higher fuel prices, or the ever-increasing number of baby-boomers nearing retirement?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diesel is still sold cheaply around here. In fact, diesel was 1.68 or so when gas was at 2 dollars. And diesel engines get better fuel economy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts