GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The BMW M3 series. Pure performence. A street car you can race on the track stock. You see a goofy wing on this car? What is with these wings? The EVO, the STI , the SRT, and now, horrors, the new Cobalt SS/SC. What is the rational except to attract the Police. I saw an EVO in a parking lot a few days ago without that hideous wing, it looked great. Is it just because some nitwit designer thinks that young people think it's cool to have a wing or is there a real function for them. Again! If a bimmer M3 doesen't need a wing, why does a Cobalt SS?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't think Mercedes was the first.

Ex:

Wings, spoliers, ground effects, in most applications are purely cosmetic.
Same as makeu-up on a woman.

Some women cake on the make up thinking it makes them look better.

When done properly, it does:

When done poorly it doesn't:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i agree with rex, huge wing/spoiler can be overdone. but the pic he showed there i beleive was the street version of the true dodge daytona which did in fact give the car better handling in races. i was watching a show on speed channel the other day that talked about this daytona and mentioned that when the front end and wing were added the competition couldnt keep up. the street version had wing just for the "cooL" affect i guess.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, the wing like that has its place on a RWD muscle car, but not on a FWD rice-mobile. The wing's purpose is to make the rear end stick to the ground. This is desirable in a RWD car where rear end traction isn't that great, however in a FWD car, pushing the back end down will make you have less traction in the front thereby serving no real purpose other than making the owner look like a complete tool.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by silverado_13@Apr 29 2004, 10:34 PM
Don't spoiliers affect aerodynamics? I think they are nessesary on sports cars of all types.
Yeah, look at the new STS. Not ordering the spoiler on it will get you a 130-something speed limit on the car. With it, its around 155.

BTW, I heard the creators of the Daytona/Superbird had an extremely technical way to calculate how high the wing should be...

high enough to clear the rear window :lol:
I guess it worked...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I found out this week that the spoiler on an Equinox reduces the coefficient of drag due to smoothing airflow/reducing turbulence around the rear window.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Apr 29 2004, 10:17 PM
i agree with rex, huge wing/spoiler can be overdone. but the pic he showed there i beleive was the street version of the true dodge daytona which did in fact give the car better handling in races. i was watching a show on speed channel the other day that talked about this daytona and mentioned that when the front end and wing were added the competition couldnt keep up. the street version had wing just for the "cooL" affect i guess.
Back then, stock car racing was still that. Stock car racing. People bought the cars from dealerships and add the safety equip. and tweak the engine and it's time to go racing. That is what NASCAR should be today. Make the teams go down to the local Chevy or Ford dealership and buy the RWD fullsize car to race.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Spoilers do have a purpose, but to me it's only worth it on RWD cars. My G35 has the aero package w/ spoiler and it produces 0 drag. Not bad at all! I'm all for aerodynamics!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by ozone_GTX@Apr 29 2004, 11:27 PM
BTW, I heard the creators of the Daytona/Superbird had an extremely technical way to calculate how high the wing should be...

I guess it worked...
nope, it was that tall so that the trunk would fully open.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Apr 29 2004, 09:21 PM
I don't think Mercedes was the first.
hahaha, I totally forgot about the winged warrior!
that was before "ahead of its time". ;)
in a way, given the race heritage and the muscle car era, I would try and understand those daytonas and superbirds, bot on the smallest mercedes back then... never!
in a way, all those 3 cars existed because of the omologation requirements, but still a wing THAT tall on a benz... :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Originally posted by ozone_GTX@Apr 29 2004, 06:27 PM
[Yeah, look at the new STS.  Not ordering the spoiler on it will get you a 130-something speed limit on the car.  With it, its around 155.

Exactly, wings/spoilers are only needed at high speeds to keep the rear end planted to the ground. I remember many years ago, one of the car mags did a feature on spoilers and showed that they are only effective at speeds greater than 120-130, or something way up there like that. That being said, how many people ever reach those speeds on the US roadways?

However, I think some spoilers do add to the look of a car. But, not those ridiculous looking after market spoilers on Civics!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89+Apr 30 2004, 02:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnd89 @ Apr 30 2004, 02:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ozone_GTX@Apr 29 2004, 11:27 PM

I guess it worked...
nope, it was that tall so that the trunk would fully open. [/b][/quote]
Heh, even funnier.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by MarkSS@Apr 30 2004, 12:26 AM
I found out this week that the spoiler on an Equinox reduces the coefficient of drag due to smoothing airflow/reducing turbulence around the rear window.
It probably also helps keep the rear window clean, which is a real problem on wagons.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Apr 30 2004, 01:23 AM
Spoilers do have a purpose, but to me it's only worth it on RWD cars. My G35 has the aero package w/ spoiler and it produces 0 drag. Not bad at all! I'm all for aerodynamics!
If it's producing zero drag, then it can't be accomplishing anything. In order to produce any downforce, there would have to be some drag.

So the question is, why would you want it in the first place?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Apr 30 2004, 01:23 AM
get a thirdgen TA if you are all for aerodynamics: it's far better than any nissan

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89+Apr 30 2004, 07:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnd89 @ Apr 30 2004, 07:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811@Apr 30 2004, 01:23 AM
Spoilers do have a purpose, but to me it's only worth it on RWD cars.  My G35 has the aero package w/ spoiler and it produces 0 drag.  Not bad at all!  I'm all for aerodynamics!
get a thirdgen TA if you are all for aerodynamics: it's far better than any nissan [/b][/quote]
Say it with me: INFINITI! LOL jk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts