GM Inside News Forum banner

Should Holden sell the Insignia in Australia & New Zealand?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Look: Vectra Becomes Insignia

Marton Pettendy
4 April 2008
www.goauto.com.au

European General Motors affiliates Vauxhall and Opel continue to stage a slow-release reveal of the car that will replace the Vectra in the UK and on the continent respectively this year (and possibly the Saturn Aura in the US too), the Insignia.

Only time will tell whether GM Holden chooses to try again with the premium mid-size model in Australia – after unapologetically dropping the nameplate in 2006 in favour of GM Daewoo’s less expensive Epica from March 2007 - as a rival for the likes of the new Ford Mondeo and Mazda6, and Honda’s upcoming new Accord Euro.

In a move that now renders pointless efforts by what it describes as “prototype paparazzi” to demand exorbitant prices for spy shots of the production Insignia ahead of its official unveiling at the London motor show on July 22, Vauxhall has issued a collection of its own “spy” shots showing one of the 200 Insignia prototypes that are currently undergoing public-road validation testing.

Vauxhall has described in detail the importance of concealing pre-production vehicles from both the media and rival car-makers ahead of launch, and in this case has employed a fake rear wing to obscure the “especially elegant, flowing rear section” of one variant of the model line it claims will cause a sensation in its class.

Click here to continue article

Opel Insignia test mule

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Well it sure won't fit into Holden's language, but I guess they sell the Astra which doesn't fit either. I say why not? It has to be leaps and bounds above the Epica.

·
Premium Member
34,378 Posts
is it now what is replacing epica or the upcoming malibu? I think its time chevy moved to australia.. gm cannot compete with toyota with a 1 brand strategy there..
Bring chevy, move Holden up a notch...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
is it now what is replacing epica or the upcoming malibu? I think its time chevy moved to australia.. gm cannot compete with toyota with a 1 brand strategy there..
Bring chevy, move Holden up a notch...

Australia is too small for Chev.

And plus, Chevrolet actually has a good reputation here. Most people dont know about the modern Chevs, but instead remember the Camaros and Corvettes of old.
They shouldnt ruin that.

Holden is good for all the family type vehicles, and bang for your buck, big performance cars.
Then we have Hummer, pretty niche
The Saab, which seems useless
Cadillac will be here by years end, and will obviously take the luxury segment.

All we need of Chev is the modern day Camaro and the Corvette .... and Chevy will keep its good rep in Australia. :D

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
What about - Insignia, Epica and Torana.
But seriously, wouldn't the next Epica be the same platform as the Insignia, just built in Korea? If so, then Epica & Torana.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
And plus, Chevrolet actually has a good reputation here. Most people dont know about the modern Chevs, but instead remember the Camaros and Corvettes of old. They shouldnt ruin that.
Why would it "ruin" things? The new Chevy's are very good. The Malibu is top-notch in terms of quality and overall dynamics. It has won almost every major award in its class. For the price point, it might cannibalize a lot of Holden-only sales if it were offered in Australia.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I voted for the first option.

BUT, I wish to retract my vote.
Because there should be another option that says 'Neither, Holden should build a Torana'.

;)
Good looking out!!!! I forgot about Torana! I must retract my vote as well. The Torona would be even better if Pontiac got a version as well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Why would it "ruin" things? The new Chevy's are very good. The Malibu is top-notch in terms of quality and overall dynamics. It has won almost every major award in its class. For the price point, it might cannibalize a lot of Holden-only sales if it were offered in Australia.

Well, Chevy in Australia has sports and muscle car ... ummm, vibe .... to it (for lack of better word).
Selling a fwd sedan in their name would be a bit iffy, imho.

Holden should keep the cheap 4 doors to themselves

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, Chevy in Australia has sports and muscle car ... ummm, vibe .... to it (for lack of better word).
Selling a fwd sedan in their name would be a bit iffy, imho.

Holden should keep the cheap 4 doors to themselves
Have you ever seen one in person, let alone driven one? The cost of the Malibu, starting USD $19,995, would really give any other Holden a run for its money. I don't want to see any GM companies cannibalized, but the car is good...Especially when you consider how much you have to pay for something the same quality and options in Australia. Holdens are good, but they cannot compete on price in relation to Chevy, IMHO.

More options for consumers would allow more to cross-shop and really determine the best car out there. Of course, I don't see it coming over with the demand for it in the U.S., legal costs to certify it for such a small market, and GM not wanting to kill the local Holden unit in sales.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Have you ever seen one in person, let alone driven one? The cost of the Malibu, starting USD $19,995, would really give any other Holden a run for its money. I don't want to see any GM companies cannibalized, but the car is good...Especially when you consider how much you have to pay for something the same quality and options in Australia. Holdens are good, but they cannot compete on price in relation to Chevy, IMHO.

No Australian car can EVER compete with American car prices, because cars in USA are much cheaper, mostly due to them being taxed way less.

Current currency conversion says that USD $19,995 = AUD $21,698.
....That car would definitly not be $21,698 at the Australian dealership. It would more likely be about $27,000 - $30,000

My point is, when Chevy gets here with the Camaro, and hopefully eventually the Corvette ......... Leave them with that. As the sports niche. Chev would be on the same level as HSV. And thats good.

Anything below a Commodore in terms of what market they sell to ... NEEDS to be a Holden.
Holden IS the cheap option here. If that car came here, it would have to be badged as a Holden.

Chev 'as a cheap option' just wont fit in Australia, because Holden already is that option.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts

More options for consumers would allow more to cross-shop and really determine the best car out there. Of course, I don't see it coming over with the demand for it in the U.S., legal costs to certify it for such a small market, and GM not wanting to kill the local Holden unit in sales.
As Chev doesn't build anything RHD in the USA it is a completely moot point. Otherwise the Malibu might work, in limited numbers. It isn't going to compete for people who want RWD which is a significant number and the main reason the Vectra and older Mondeo bombed, being too close in price to buy/run for too similar a capability but smaller and dearer to maintain and insure.

The only RHD 'Chevs' are made by Daewoo or Holden. Ford is currently selling the Mondeo, made in Belguim and starting at $Oz28K which selling at about the same rate as the Epica. And it is getting rave reviews and already garnered several 'best car' awards plus it's Euro, which is a big marketting plus here. You can get it with 4 motors including diesel and turbo I5, and about 5 trim levels. And so far it's best month hasn't cracked 400 sales, or 1/10th of the Commodore.

I'm afraid Aych Es Vee is right - Camaros and Corvettes would work and build on Chevrolet's muscle image.

Econo-cars, when they're only the same thing as we see from Opel or Daewoo, or more expensive given the source is the US, aren't likely to further the cause. Then again, having some econo-Chevs might stop people putting goddamn stupid Lumina badging on Commodores.........

Opel can't or won't produce good competitive cars cheaply enough for them to be viable. The Vectra was OK but nothing special as a four, and too dear. The V6 was great, but ~ the same $$$ as a V8 Calais which basically comprehensively whopped it for space, pace, RWD dynamics and wasn't much if any dearer to run, when you factored in Opel running costs (almost BMW) to Holden (Chevvy).

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
If thats the case, thenyou have a mix. You have Pontiac's G8 sold next Saturn Auras in GM NA speak. Even more reason for Pontiac and Buick to die. Give G8 to Saturn or Chevy, and sell GMC with Saturn...i dunno. GMC is too good to pass up.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
I don't see any reason to kill Pontiac and Buick. Perhaps Holden can get away with selling all kinds of everything in the Oz, but in general it doesn't work (look at Toyo - seemingly they sell everything under one brand, but they completely backed off the sports car market, and now they have Lexus for luxury/performance, as well as Scion). GM needs to build up both brands on a global scale and exploit their identity - perhaps Toyota or Chevrolet can build a good sporty compact, but I'd feel much better in one from Pontiac.

From what I read, 80% of Commie/Falcon sales are fleet - I don't know the quota for Mondeo-sized cars, but I'd guess it's negligible in comparison (on top of all that large cars, why would they need a Mondeo?) - so, 1/5th of Commie sales are retail, and thus if all Mondeos are sold to retail, they are even.

As concerns sourcing - Asia seems the sensible source for Australia. Be it Korea, Thailand or India. This means, whatever takes Epica's place, it should come from Asia. If GM builds the (awful name!) Insignia or Malibu there, so be it.

PS. If Epica doesn't sell any worse than the Mondeo, in the wake of the sensational VE, I'd say it's a success. No wonder, actually, it is a really good car for what it was supposed to be. It will be a sad day when GM dismisses it and the straight six.

PS2. Chev sure has a place in the Oz. GM is too far away to reach Toyota in single-brand sales, but Ford is having relative success with the Mazda-Ford combo. I'd say they should try to push Holden a bit upmarket and leave the lower market (GM DATs and such) to Chevy. They could even make a layer-cake deal between the two, like in China - Chev takes the midsize class with Epica or Malibu, while Holden offers the Astra and VE over and under it.

As concerns heritage - that's exactly what worked in Europe. People though of Chevrolet as of the maker of all those muscle cars, and thus had their Daewoos more eagerly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Option 5. Keep the Epica for now, then replace it with a GM Daewoo version of the Insignia, which will be based on the same Epsilon II platform.
Option 6. Replace Epica with the Insignia, but produce it on GM Daewoo factories, just like it happens with the Opel Antara.

All in all, the Insignia and its Epsilon II sibling from GM Daewoo would probably only differ in the interior design and infotainment features, and Insignia's V6 engines (if any) will come from Holden anyway...

'
As concerns sourcing - Asia seems the sensible source for Australia. Be it Korea, Thailand or India. This means, whatever takes Epica's place, it should come from Asia.
+1. Why import from Europe and take losses from strong Euro currency and expensive workforce when GM can built the Insignia in Asia and take advantage of cheaper labour and transportation?

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Wait I thought the Torana was greenlighted with the go-ahead of Alpha...

If it has been, any midsize 4cyl family car would get slaughtered in the showroom by the Torana.

Let Holden limp along with the Epica until the Torana arrives. Barina-Astra-Torana-Commy-Statesman would be a perfect sedan progression.

Maybe keep the Epica or Insignia for NZ, where the "2-litre" class of cars take a bigger slice of the pie, and the Epica/Insignia can complement the Torana.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts