GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting question some of you gentlemen might have the answer for.
So GM is going full speed ahead with the G8 ST and in Mexico, consumers of automobiles have long been able to enjoy some other car-based pick-ups.. such as

So lets talk trucks for a minute...
Depending upon the success that GM sees with its decision to import, and the recent decision to keep the Ranger until about 2012, [probably with very little updating] postponing its slow death........... will Ford eventually follow suit and offer us a Falcon of some sort after all these years?
Or will we get more trucks that look like the Explorer Sport Trac?

I say the EST could've been a nice F-100....
But I'm interested in future offerings of a small truck, not everybody needs a full-size.

These truck/car things intrigue me more and more...

·
Registered
455 Posts
No unibody pickup trucks have ever sold well in the US and I don't think they ever will.

While Ford has currently back burnered their mid size pickup (F100) I believe it will still happen, and it is body on frame.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think the G8st (and Falcon Ute if Ford broght it in) will be a flop just like the SSR, they're toys, too pretty to haul with and to light to tow with, all the while getting poor fuel economy.

http://www.ford.com.mx/vehicles/homevehicle.asp?idModel=COU

The Courier would be the real solution as it would be cheap and get good mileage and is a truck you'd have no issue with using as a truck as it isn't pretty, but rather practical. Granted it doesn't perform towing or other truck use, but would do for many owners and still make a good commuter car as well.

Unfortuntely I look for Ford to not bring this to market until someone else already proves it works and controls the largest share. Look for Kia or someone to offer it and and not Ford.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
T6 Ranger - developed in AUS built in South Africa - imported - smaller, lighter, more efficient, but equally capable replacement for the current global rangers.

Production is supposed to start in 2010 or 2011

Igor

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I think the G8st (and Falcon Ute if Ford broght it in) will be a flop just like the SSR, they're toys, too pretty to haul with and to light to tow with, all the while getting poor fuel economy.
The SSR flopped because it costed as much as a Vette and weighed nearly as much as a Silverado, with no real utility. The Utes are not like this.

And why would a Ute get poor fuel economy? Because it's aerodynamic? As long as GM keeps the payload reasonably high, then its the owners' faults if they treat the Utes as toys, hell, a lot of people treat full size trucks as just toys.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
T6 Ranger - developed in AUS built in South Africa - imported - smaller, lighter, more efficient, but equally capable replacement for the current global rangers.

Production is supposed to start in 2010 or 2011

Igor
Just to be perfectly clear, how does this T6 Ranger fit in with the North American market? As I understand, the current North American Ranger, that was supposed to get the axe, got a reprieve until 2011 or so, albeit with some minor updates to keep it crash test compliant. What about after that? The North American Ranger as we know it gets discontinued and replaced with the new T6 Ranger, right? Will it be imported or will the US plant where the current Ranger is built get retooled to build the new design? I wonder because of the quantity necessary to satisfy all markets. I don't know how well the current global Ranger does, but the North American Ranger, though having been in steady decline since 2001 (its last major mechanical update), still sells in significant quantity. At the end of 2007, 92,420 Rangers had been sold. This pales in comparison to the 272,460 sold in 2001 or the 330,125 sold in 2000, but it's still a lot of trucks. That said, if the Ranger has a resurgence in popularity with a major redesign, could the demand be satisfied through imports only?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

http://www.ford.com.mx/vehicles/homevehicle.asp?idModel=COU

The Courier would be the real solution as it would be cheap and get good mileage and is a truck you'd have no issue with using as a truck as it isn't pretty, but rather practical. Granted it doesn't perform towing or other truck use, but would do for many owners and still make a good commuter car as well.

Unfortuntely I look for Ford to not bring this to market until someone else already proves it works and controls the largest share. Look for Kia or someone to offer it and and not Ford.
I really like the Courier, thats the kind of vehicle I'm talking about.
My old S-10 wasn't very sporty, I would have bought an X-Treme and been done with it, but I couldn't find any around here.
Utility + weekend fun is what I'm after.. it has to be pretty solid as well.

but on to the ranger...
I dont think the Ranger is going to fizzle because of gas prices alone.
Filling up a full size is a PITA.

I personally REALLY liked the SSR... but I would like to own the Falcon or Monaro UTE.
And in a few years when we get the G8ST, hopefully I'll be able to pony up the cash for one.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
What about after that? The North American Ranger as we know it gets discontinued and replaced with the new T6 Ranger, right?
That is why the T6 is used with the "Ranger" name.

Will it be imported or will the US plant where the current Ranger is built get retooled to build the new design?
at first (at least) it will be imported. South Africa has a gigantic capacity, and no import restrictions to US.

I wonder because of the quantity necessary to satisfy all markets. I don't know how well the current global Ranger does, but the North American Ranger, though having been in steady decline since 2001 (its last major mechanical update), still sells in significant quantity. At the end of 2007, 92,420 Rangers had been sold. This pales in comparison to the 272,460 sold in 2001 or the 330,125 sold in 2000, but it's still a lot of trucks. That said, if the Ranger has a resurgence in popularity with a major redesign, could the demand be satisfied through imports only?
Ford has plenty of capacity to add more volume locally if need be ;)

but at first - SA will be only plant at launch.

Igor

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Thanks Igor.

So other than the obvious new chassis and styling, is there anything specific expected in the powertrain department? I would expect things like a 2.5L I4 and a 3.7L V6, but what about those diesel four cylinders the global Rangers use?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Thanks Igor.

So other than the obvious new chassis and styling, is there anything specific expected in the powertrain department? I would expect things like a 2.5L I4 and a 3.7L V6, but what about those diesel four cylinders the global Rangers use?
the truck is to be an I4-heavy model - it should be able to perform perfectly with a puny I4 under the hood - very likely NOT a big one like 2.5l, but something much smaller. 1.8l or even less. For US and other richer markets, the 2.5l will definitely be offered, but it might not be the base engines. Finally, V6 might be offered (and if it is it would be the D35), but it may not. It depends on the market in 2010/2011. Diesels and Ecoboost of course, differentially available in various parts of the globe.

Basically all we are looking for is a simple equation of: New gen Ranger - the EU ranger rides on the same old frame and the cabin is really just re-skinned old one ... it is not an all new truck ... the T6 will finally take Ranger to a new generation.

Igor

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I was looking at Ford of Australia's website and reading about their Ranger and its engines, the 2.5L I4 diesel and 3.0L I4 diesel. They seem to deliver a good combination of capability and efficiency. If my math is correct (for the metric conversions), a 4x2 Ranger Crew Cab with the 3.0L I4 and a 5-speed manual gets nearly 26MPG combined and can tow up to 6,600lbs.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I was looking at Ford of Australia's website and reading about their Ranger and its engines, the 2.5L I4 diesel and 3.0L I4 diesel. They seem to deliver a good combination of capability and efficiency. If my math is correct (for the metric conversions), a 4x2 Ranger Crew Cab with the 3.0L I4 and a 5-speed manual gets nearly 26MPG combined and can tow up to 6,600lbs.
do not compare mileage and tow ratings - they do not translate AT ALL - my Mazda3 is rated to tow 2,000 lbs in Europe.

The diesel is an old engine - a new one will/would be in the T6.

Igor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts