GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in over 20 years mrs vsute gets a brand new car

Her last new car was a late 90's Nissan Pulsar and we've had near new second hand cars for some time now but it's her turn for a new one after I got my Colorado a few years ago

So what did we buy?

Well since GM killed Holden we've been looking at other options in a smallish hatchback or SUV/SUV

Lots of cars tested from Toyota's to Mazda's and some we just wrote off before even testing

LIke anything from Nissan or Mitsubishi was written off and also anything with a CVT trans

After much testing and finance options discussed we ended up with 2021 Hyundai i30 N Line

Should be picking it up monday here's a few pictures from the dealers page

·
Premium Member
35,649 Posts
Hmmm. Can't see Post #1.

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were pretty close a few years ago to getting a Holden Astra RS V. A few things bothered me about it at the time

One was the need for Premium 98

Two was the uncertainty of the brand . GM had imported these before and then killed them shortly after

Three was value for money

All added together and we dodged a bullet

GM killed Holden and we would have owned an orphan worth absolutely nothing by now and regretted every single day of ownership

Plenty of Holden fans have noted before on here how they feel about the closure and the harsh reality of it is that you need to go buy something else now if you're in the market for a new car

I may have looked at a Hyundai previously and not bought it because of some kind of misplaced loyalty to a brand who's far away head office isnt loyal to me

Ironically the Hyundai has local suspension tuning by the very Holden engineers let go by GM

Part of the reason we bought it was the way it handled and rode way better than any other car we test drove

Like a Holden used to ......

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Congratulations! I think the second pic is backwards! ;)

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With attitudes like those expressed above no wonder GM has no clue how to build in RHD :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Premium Member
35,649 Posts
This thread starts at Post #2. What up?

·
Premium Member
35,649 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
We were pretty close a few years ago to getting a Holden Astra RS V. A few things bothered me about it at the time

One was the need for Premium 98

Two was the uncertainty of the brand . GM had imported these before and then killed them shortly after

Three was value for money

All added together and we dodged a bullet

GM killed Holden and we would have owned an orphan worth absolutely nothing by now and regretted every single day of ownership

Plenty of Holden fans have noted before on here how they feel about the closure and the harsh reality of it is that you need to go buy something else now if you're in the market for a new car

I may have looked at a Hyundai previously and not bought it because of some kind of misplaced loyalty to a brand who's far away head office isnt loyal to me

Ironically the Hyundai has local suspension tuning by the very Holden engineers let go by GM

Part of the reason we bought it was the way it handled and rode way better than any other car we test drove

Like a Holden used to ......
I'm not sure that's entirely true given the current prices of used cars, however if it wasn't for Covid & the chip shortage I'm sure it would have been the case though. We were lucky, we bought a run out Trax last year for $19990 on road and right now the cheapest 2020 Trax on Carsales is $26990 and it has 15K km on it, ours only had delivery km (12). Even now ours only has ~4500 km on it.

Congrats on the Hyundai, they seem to be the pick of the bunch from Korea so I'm sure your wife will be happy with it. The GM Korea stuff doesn't seem to have the same reputation but so far I've been pleasantly surprised with the Trax, it's much better than I was expecting from them.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Where the sun hits the paint just below the bonnet has slight hints of Tiga Mica about it. Congrats on the car, it looks nice.

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where the sun hits the paint just below the bonnet has slight hints of Tiga Mica about it. Congrats on the car, it looks nice.
Its a similar colour

Called Orange Lava i think

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Congrats!!

Any particular reason why you dismissed anything from Nissan (especially if you were replacing a Nissan that you were apparently happy enough with to keep for 20+ years)?

BTW, I read through the post and accidentally read your sig ("Who the hell approved this abomination? :barf:") immediately below the gauge cluster picture and wondered for a second why you bought it if you disliked it so much... before realizing it's the sig :D

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats!!

Any particular reason why you dismissed anything from Nissan (especially if you were replacing a Nissan that you were apparently happy enough with to keep for 20+ years)?

BTW, I read through the post and accidentally read your sig ("Who the hell approved this abomination? :barf:") immediately below the gauge cluster picture and wondered for a second why you bought it if you disliked it so much... before realizing it's the sig :D
No we sold the NIssan about 17 years ago - just that was her last new car . Everything else we had since then has been near new or second hand. The NIssan was a problem car for her from day one it needed a new engine within 40k . This put her off nissan for life . Also her brother bought a new Pathfinder and it needed a new gearbox within a few years hence the reason for not wanting a CVT

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
No we sold the NIssan about 17 years ago - just that was her last new car . Everything else we had since then has been near new or second hand. The NIssan was a problem car for her from day one it needed a new engine within 40k . This put her off nissan for life . Also her brother bought a new Pathfinder and it needed a new gearbox within a few years hence the reason for not wanting a CVT
Got it. My wife has also been similarly put off by Nissan since her first new car (also back in the late 90s) had a series of problems although not as severe as yours.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts