GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several posts by people wondering why we don't have the pictures of the C6, Saturn Curve and other GM cars that are floating around...so I am gonna set the record straight. GM has embargoed all information on the C6 until January 1st, and the others until the 4th and 5th. Embargoes were intially used to release the pictures to the magazines with enough time for them to get into print around the time that the Embargo is lifted. Meaning GM had to release the pictures to Car and Driver last month so they could have them in print by the embargo date. Now that the internet has come along it has also been a way for GM to let all sites get the same news at the same time. With embargo dates, everyone posts pictures and info at the same time so everyone gets the scoop.

Several issues have happened that have turned the C6 into a media fiasco. Here are a few facts on the situation.

1. The pictures you see one a certain Corvette site are embargoed General Motors promotional pictures. They are copyrighted by GM, and they control how and when they can be used. That certain Corvette site..no matter where they got them from broke the rules. In doing so they not only got the scoop of the year and sent thier traffic through the roof.....they also slapped every rule abiding site in the face. I have had the pictures of the Corvette and other NAIAS cars for a month now, and have not posted them because I was following the rules. I have worked hard to get this website access to such materials because GM always is weary of the internet and generally places sites last on the food chain. I am quite angry that the Corvette site posted these pictures because it makes it much harder for any site, like GMI or Cheers and Gears to be taken seriously at GM. It's very possible in the future GM could exclude many websites from access to embargoed material over this incident. In short GMI will not link to those pictures because first off, it is still breaking the embargo, and secondly, I am not going to reward the site that broke the rules with traffic from my site.

2. Car and Driver and apparently a few other magazines went to press early this month (how convenient!) and these embargoed pics are showing up in peoples mailboxes early. Now people are getting the magazines, scanning the pictures, and posting them all over the internet. This too is wrong, because you are posting copyrighted material. I wonder how many sales Car and Driver is loosing because their whole blockbuster C6 article was posted on the internet. Some sites may allow it, but GMI can not afford to be held liable if Car and Driver or such got angry.

I know everyone is excited, but would it really have hurt to wait to more weeks and do things right. The Corvette site basically broke the rules and is getting rewarded with traffic out the *** for it.

Either way GMI will always have pictures immediately as the embargo is lifted...

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah i got a feeling the word "lawsuits" will be heard loud and clear in a few days
probably get sued for damages toward the magazine. or GM sueing the websites as well. i say GOOD JOB GMI! the way i see it you got to earn what info you get. by not posting the pics then you show GM that you have got the stuff it takes. i say long term gains are unavoidable.

even the magazines that went out on the shelfs early are gonna get hurt by GM (I think personally...or should anyway)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with you Branden; it's good to see that integrity matters in todays world. I hope GM sees that not all sites are like the Corvette site and continues to treat you right.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I love how the internet is killing off old traditions that keep things out of reach of normal people. Take music distribution, for example.

I think the embargo thing is bad, and even though GM Inside News did the correct thing, I hope this will help eliminate it completely.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Branden,

by the sounds of what you have posted, you appear to have pictures of all GM cars that will be shown at the NAIAS this year. Will you be posting all of those pictures on this site come Jan 4th or will you select a few to post?

·
Registered
101 Posts
This doesn't make all that much since to me... i understand that the other site broke the rules and such and shouldn't have... but why do websites need time to prep for a story. It's quite diffrent with C&D because they have to print everything. But websites could have the stuff up the same day it was sent to them.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ReD-DaWg-OnE@Dec 23 2003, 08:50 PM
This doesn't make all that much since to me... i understand that the other site broke the rules and such and shouldn't have... but why do websites need time to prep for a story. It's quite diffrent with C&D because they have to print everything. But websites could have the stuff up the same day it was sent to them.
The practice of embargoing is more for mags then websites. We are lucky to be included though...or otherwise we would not get the pics until they are not embargoed ie Jan 4th. This gives us time to design a page and be ahead of the game so we can roll as soon as they pics are released. However when a site cheats like this it endangers websites being included. It's not a perfect system, but staying on GM's good side is paramount or else we would have to obtain information in much harder ways.

GMI will post all info we have the second it unembargoed:)

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 23 2003, 07:34 PM
I love how the internet is killing off old traditions that keep things out of reach of normal people. Take music distribution, for example.

I think the embargo thing is bad, and even though GM Inside News did the correct thing, I hope this will help eliminate it completely.
Mags will always get embargoed info because of their press lead times. Now we are treated the same as mags and can see it beforehand to prep. If they take it away we would have to wait until it is publicly released, then scramble to get an article togethor and the pictures up. It would hurt websites more than anything.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by thatoneguy@Dec 23 2003, 08:23 PM
haha yea.. check it out.. it was on the site already though

those were authenticated by my source

-that one guy

EDIT: NO C6 PICS!!! (Eventhough your link doesn't work)
Do you NOT understand the entire point of this post!! NO C6 Pics until January 4th, No linking to images (or sites) if they have broken an embargo!! Sheesh... :angry:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
**applauds GMI** I hope that playing by the rules will cause your site to get more play in the future... (Please excuse my play on words. ;))

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You should let GM know the pains you guys are going through on this so they give you some more inside information or something in the future.

Keep up the good work. I can imagine it's a lot of work.

Mark

·
Registered
71 Posts
First off, i respect you for not posting the pics and following the rules.

Most are just having a problem with the pretext of this site. I was under the impression that this place was for Inside news about gm. What good is news that you cannot share? It must be very frustrating for you. Sorry for that. I was very tempted to post the offending pic when i saw it. But remebered such material had been swatted down before.

Im sure after the smoke clears, this site will be respected for playing it straight when the pressure was on. But those guys over at that corvette site, swiped the rug right out from under you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
agree with lionfish

maybe this should be called gmafterembargo.com .. they mosdef got the inside info out early , now to find this corvette site .......

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's alot of guys here that just don't get it... To me it sounds like the embargoed material is also copyrighted. Thus this site or any others can be sued. With what's going on in the recording industry I wouldn't be surprised if companies start suing internet users for posting copyrighted material before their release dates. That's why Blueovalnews.com has been getting sued and is in court with Ford. This site has always posted spy shots and such because to my knowledge those aren't copyrighted, but press material is. I'm a Ford guy who visits here to find out what my beloved company is doing because this place is on the cutting edge of competitor's products. That and I like such traditional American things like the F-body and Vette. Thanks for the integrity. It doesn't happen much in the world anymore...

(Getting off soapbox and putting flame suit on... :type:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess some people just refuse to understand it. It is called STEALING! Be it pictures, music, whatever. It does not belong to everyone. The companies that provide the product own the rights and product. Wait your turn. This reminds me of the jerk that has to jump the line because he/she thinks waiting their turn does not apply to them. Patience..............., you will get your shot.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts