1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why the new Cadillac Blackwing Models do not have AWD
February 20, 2021
David Finlay

One feature shared by the Cadillac Blackwing ultra-high-performance luxury sedans as well as all exceptionally-powerful Cadillacs throughout history is that they have all been rear-wheel-drive. Neither the 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing nor its even more powerful sister car, the 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, is available with all-wheel-drive even as an option.

It seems reasonable to wonder why this is the case, especially when many ultra-high-performance German rivals, which have traditionally featured rear-wheel-drive, have begun to switch to all-wheel-drive. Cadillac Society executive editor, Alex Luft, did exactly that in an interview with Mirza Grebovic, Cadillac performance variants manager, who has engineering responsibility for the Cadillac Blackwing super sedans as well other Cadillac V-Series models.

This was not the first time Grebovic had been asked the question. “All-wheel-drive obviously always comes up,” he said. “The stance we took as a team is that we really wanted to make [the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing] drivers’ cars. V-Series was born from motorsports, from our motorsport experience and us wanting to be in motorsports, and we don‘t have any motorsports applications with all-wheel-drive.”

Continues at link

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We've heard this before, but I still think they should offer it. Some people are fine with the rwd and slower 0-60, but for some that 0-60 time is what it is all about.

Though I am a happy customer as they did give me exactly what I wanted, the regular CT4-V with AWD. And, I think we can all say the "V" nomenclature has not been ruined.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
There's no AWD because the last gen didn't have AWD and there wasn't enough justification to develop an all new AWD system to handle the power of the tt6 and LT4 for an extremely limited run of vehicles. Long story short, it didn't make financial sense when as a company they're moving in a completely different direction. You can buy the motorsport BS if you want but anyone with half a brain can guess the real reason.

ThT being said, the EV CT whatever in 5 years will definitely offer AWD in the blackwing trim.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
Though I agree with sdotjeezy that the real reason for not offering AWD in the two Cadillac Blackwing is financial, I'm glad that Grebovic and his team pursued a RWD only strategy for these cars.

With RWD and a manual transmission, CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing should be among the most enjoyable to drive in their respective classes, even if their test numbers aren't the best.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Though I agree with sdotjeezy that the real reason for not offering AWD in the two Cadillac Blackwing is financial, I'm glad that Grebovic and his team pursued a RWD only strategy for these cars.

With RWD and a manual transmission, CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing should be among the most enjoyable to drive in their respective classes, even if their test numbers aren't the best.
There is something to be said for driver engagement for a street car over total lap times .. considering how the vehicle is used, there is more joy in a regular engaging drive everyday than the occasional track day when you edge past your peers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
All those arguments would be laughable if they came from German manufacturers who have limitless resources. In GM's case we are used to various kinds of savings and cost-cuttings. But this time everything can be forgiven due to manual availability - sth. others don't offer.
AWD matters much for a one-vehicle customer - that's why performance SUVs are so popular. Personally if I could afford a CT5-VB, I would be a 2-3 car person and either owned an SUV (Aviator or Lyriq) or a second car for winter - CT6-V with AWD

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

I agree. My CT4-V Blackwing will come in Blaze Orange Metallic with the 6 speed manual in base packaging, whatever that may entail. One final new RWD ICE stick sport sedan before we're forced into the EV abyss.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
All those arguments would be laughable if they came from German manufacturers who have limitless resources. In GM's case we are used to various kinds of savings and cost-cuttings. But this time everything can be forgiven due to manual availability - sth. others don't offer.
AWD matters much for a one-vehicle customer - that's why performance SUVs are so popular. Personally if I could afford a CT5-VB, I would be a 2-3 car person and either owned an SUV (Aviator or Lyriq) or a second car for winter - CT6-V with AWD
At the end of the day, every brand has the right to spend its development dollars as it deems fit, then you the consumer votes with your dollars, they win or lose. From the look of things both the out going V’s and the new V blackwings are appealing to Cadillac buyers...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
As a Chicagoan, I’m bummed that this isn’t an option. Cool. Nice pie in the face excuse as to why you DIDN'T offer AWD but why couldn’t you when we are switching to a BEV full line anyway? Why not go out with a bang? My brother in Cali says he’s grabbing one. I’ll just drive his when I’m there. Lost sale here. I’m just one so I’ll shut up.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
...and cut the engineering BS. If that’s the case, why did the CT6 V come in AWD?

I’ll wait...
You do realize you CAN buy a CT4-V with AWD, just not a Blackwing.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts

That's exactly what I gathered from reading the article at link. I can see why they did it and it makes sense. If you want AWD just settle for the non Blackwing I guess.

·
Registered
423 Posts
...and cut the engineering BS. If that’s the case, why did the CT6 V come in AWD?
In this particular case it an't bull****. AWD CT6 platinum and V were planned from the beginning. I am more upset because stupid GM axed CT6 than I am upset of lack of AWD in CT5-VB.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
That's exactly what I gathered from reading the article at link. I can see why they did it and it makes sense. If you want AWD just settle for the non Blackwing I guess.
These cars will probably not be quickest to 60, but horsepower and torque will make them relatively quick to quarter mile , and they probably will be formidable around the bend if the last gen and Camaro cousins are anything to go by.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
These cars will probably not be quickest to 60, but horsepower and torque will make them relatively quick to quarter mile , and they probably will be formidable around the bend if the last gen and Camaro cousins are anything to go by.
Those of us that ENJOY driving a standard shift understand that the new automatics are now faster than the stick but driver ENGAGEMENT just does NOT compare thus a few tenth's to 60 is mostly meaningless to us. AWD is for weak kneed wannabees that are afraid to drive in the snow. I commend Cadillac for offering us one final old school driver's car.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
Those of us that ENJOY driving a standard shift understand that the new automatics are now faster than the stick but driver ENGAGEMENT just does NOT compare thus a few tenth's to 60 is mostly meaningless to us. AWD is for weak kneed wannabees that are afraid to drive in the snow. I commend Cadillac for offering us one final old school driver's car.

I too would give up a few tenths and get a standard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts