GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone asked how a single part could get different reviews in different cars. They were specifically speaking of the Tremec 600 in the CT4-V Blackwing relative to its usage in the Camaro SS and its use in the BMW 3 Series.

Well this article should answer that question for you.

Thx, Bobby

Why the Cadillac CT4-V, CT5-V Blackwings' Manual Transmission Is So Good
The brand's last gas-powered cars with stick shifts have some tricks up their sleeves.
The Drive
Kristin V Shaw
January 23, 2022

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Cadillac’s V-Series Blackwings have Geoff Holbein’s fingerprints all over them. The MT/DCT/BEV Development Engineer has led manual transmission development for the past seven years at Cadillac, starting with the ATS-V. From there, he worked on the Corvette and Camaro and then took over the development of the CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings “from cradle to grave.” Not that they’re dead quite yet; there are still a few years left of their glorious internal-combustion thunder.

You can thank Holbein for the Blackwings’ outstanding shifting, and I was singing his praises when I took a CT4-V ‘Wing for a spin recently. This powerful car comes standard with a 472-horsepower 3.6-liter twin turbo V6 mated to a Tremec six-speed manual, and it transforms a car from what some consider a stodgy brand into a zesty track monster.

Cadillac says the 2022 CT4-V Blackwing will zoom from zero to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds with the manual and it’s a hair faster with the 10-speed automatic at 3.9 seconds. Trust me when I tell you that taking off from a full stop rockets you ahead at any stoplight, so don’t challenge one to a street race. The throw is short and the forgiveness long, and it's set up for active rev-matching and no-lift shifting.

Holbein led the integration of the transmissions, the clutch, dual-mass flywheel, the shifter, the clutch pedal performance, and the hydraulics that go along with all of that. That’s no small task, especially looking back to see the uptake in sales for V-Series cars with a manual. And while the transmission starts with components from Tremec, Holbein says they’re molded specifically for these models.

Read more at link above…

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone asked how a single part could get different reviews in different cars. They were specifically speaking of the Tremec 600 in the CT4-V Blackwing relative to its usage in the Camaro SS and its use in the BMW 3 Series/.

Well this article should answer that question for you.

Thx, Bobby

Why the Cadillac CT4-V, CT5-V Blackwings' Manual Transmission Is So Good
The brand's last gas-powered cars with stick shifts have some tricks up their sleeves.
The Drive
Kristin V Shaw
January 23, 2022

View attachment 65314

Cadillac’s V-Series Blackwings have Geoff Holbein’s fingerprints all over them. The MT/DCT/BEV Development Engineer has led manual transmission development for the past seven years at Cadillac, starting with the ATS-V. From there, he worked on the Corvette and Camaro and then took over the development of the CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwings “from cradle to grave.” Not that they’re dead quite yet; there are still a few years left of their glorious internal-combustion thunder.

You can thank Holbein for the Blackwings’ outstanding shifting, and I was singing his praises when I took a CT4-V ‘Wing for a spin recently. This powerful car comes standard with a 472-horsepower 3.6-liter twin turbo V6 mated to a Tremec six-speed manual, and it transforms a car from what some consider a stodgy brand into a zesty track monster.

Cadillac says the 2022 CT4-V Blackwing will zoom from zero to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds with the manual and it’s a hair faster with the 10-speed automatic at 3.9 seconds. Trust me when I tell you that taking off from a full stop rockets you ahead at any stoplight, so don’t challenge one to a street race. The throw is short and the forgiveness long, and it's set up for active rev-matching and no-lift shifting.

Holbein led the integration of the transmissions, the clutch, dual-mass flywheel, the shifter, the clutch pedal performance, and the hydraulics that go along with all of that. That’s no small task, especially looking back to see the uptake in sales for V-Series cars with a manual. And while the transmission starts with components from Tremec, Holbein says they’re molded specifically for these models.

Read more at link above…
BTW, if you don’t feel like reading that whole article, you should still scroll to the bottom and read that last paragraph. Does GM/Cadillac have a surprise in store for the electric future?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What glorious vehicles these are and a sincere miracle they exist considering the EV revolution. (That I now accept but still don’t like… )

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts