GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all these threads about RWD is best thing since sliced bread and in the 70's FWD was the best thing.
If you just normal driver, keeping close to the speed limit and not doing any salom racing is there a difference a drive would notice?

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Skie@Feb 17 2004, 01:37 PM
what's so good about sliced bread anyway?  :unsure:
Its so administrators like Skie don't have to waste time cutting bread while they should be changing forum icons from
and
to
... :lol:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Refering to the question.Its called PHYSICS!!!When an object/Car moves in one direction the weight shifts to the most rear edge of the object/Car.Unless you wont to drive a FWD car backwords at ALL TIMES RWD is PHYSICLY SUPEREAR!!!!!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I do not see Honda or Toyota jumping on the RWD bandwagon. But they are evolving the hybrid vehicles. Could be they see RWD as a minor marketing gimmick for the near term? Once they get years ahead in engine technology, they'll worry if the drive is FWD or RWD.
Outside of the sports cars, their main thrust is reliability and fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by Carguy@Feb 17 2004, 05:31 PM
Refering to the question.Its called PHYSICS!!!When an object/Car moves in one direction the weight shifts to the most rear edge of the object/Car.Unless you wont to drive a FWD car backwords at ALL TIMES RWD is PHYSICLY SUPEREAR!!!!!
What about in the snow? FWD is superior. For take off and turning.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
People got by just fine in the snow before FWD and with traction control and other tech. they would today.To me RWD with T.C. and optional AWD for enything of eny REAL size would be perfect.FWD (ALL THOW I HATE IT) is ok for smaller (NON SPORTY) cars.And it PAINS me to even say that becouse I FOR ONE will never again own ENY FWD car again.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If you are taking the car to the strip or going through those slaloms, RWD will give you better handling and the weight transfer to the rear upon acceleration makes RWD a better choice for drag racing.
RWD cleans up the front of the car as far as parts under the hood since the differential is in the rear and there is no gear box up front. A north-south relationship makes it easier (in most cars) to get at the spark plugs.
BUT, in the snow, give me FWD. After owning large cars with RWD (Fords and GM's), I could feel the advantage when FWD debuted.
If I lived in the sn belt, I would prefer RWD but that is not the case so I drive my FWD's for work.

Now, ugliness. That's one factor that crosses all the lines. It is there in the summer, in the winter-all year. It is there when the car is standing still and when it is moving. And it transcends time-ugly cars then are considered ugly cars now.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by Carguy@Feb 17 2004, 02:31 PM
Honestly how many people are ever going to hit the gas hard enough to notice the difference.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd say maybe...10% of all cars/trucks ever see full throttle..maaybe.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 17 2004, 06:22 PM
I do not see Honda or Toyota jumping on the RWD bandwagon. But they are evolving the hybrid vehicles. Could be they see RWD as a minor marketing gimmick for the near term? Once they get years ahead in engine technology, they'll worry if the drive is FWD or RWD.
Outside of the sports cars, their main thrust is reliability and fuel consumption.
Well U just make sure U keep snapping up those 2dr Priuseseses and what nots by Toyota and Honda, and while ur @ it shange ur name 2 04Prius since UR soooo smitten with them. :p
FWD is great 4 everyday runabout/disposable car/not a real truck,but looks like a truck posuer trucks (*cough cough* Honda), and Minvans. Real sports car,luxury sedans and the like should B RWD niche or not....just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 17 2004, 05:29 PM
What about in the snow?  FWD is superior.  For take off and turning.
This is where American's need to stop being lazy and start driving manual trannies again. In snow/ice/low traction conditions, start off in 2nd or even 3rd gear or keep in a higher gear while turning and you will have very few, if any, problems while driving.

(I don't try to be unpatriotic in any of my posts, on the contrary I am probably one of the most patriotic people you will ever meet, however it saddens me to notice the state of our society on many aspects. This isn't from any political standpoint, but just from an everyday concerned citizen standpoint. I notice Americans as a whole are becoming more and more lazy, self-centered, soft, out only to cure symptoms instead of solving the whole problem, etc., etc...... Sorry for the mini-rant, but sometimes I'm ashamed and/or embarassed for some of the people I see in the news or people I see on a day-to-day basis and how they act in the name of equality, justice, fairness, safety, tolerance, responsibility, etc. Oh well, I guess things are what they are and they aren't going to change. I can only hope to stay myself and hopefully have a positive impact in my sphere of influence. "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." and "Don't let any one thing or any one person get and keep you negative for very long.", those are two of my most favorite sayings and kind of like my personal mantras. Ok, I'm done for tonight, see you all tomorrow.)

:unsure:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Originally posted by Carguy@Feb 17 2004, 06:12 PM
People got by just fine in the snow before FWD and with traction control and other tech. they would today.To me RWD with T.C. and optional AWD for enything of eny REAL size would be perfect.FWD (ALL THOW I HATE IT) is ok for smaller (NON SPORTY) cars.And it PAINS me to even say that becouse I FOR ONE will never again own ENY FWD car again.
If you've ever been stuck in the snow you'll soon learn that traction control does little to help, at least the one's i've used, as they simply reduce the power to the driven wheels, something any driver can do by pushing less on the gas pedal. FWD is far better in snow and 4wd/AWD is far better the FWD for snow too but that extra weight on the driven wheels can make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003+Feb 18 2004, 02:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dumb_Ass_2003 @ Feb 18 2004, 02:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Carguy@Feb 17 2004, 02:31 PM
Honestly how many people are ever going to hit the gas hard enough to notice the difference. [/b][/quote]
Have you ever ridden in a car? Have you ever been pushed back in your seat?
Its callled inertia, buddy.

If you want to launch a car quickly, you need traction. Weight shifting to the rear will rob you of traction.

I dont even care about any of that. What i do care about is BALANCE. FWD cars just dont have it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Nothing like being smitten.
Since Honda and Toyota are not purusing RWD, it causes one to wonder if they think that this is a head fake by the US companies. A rush to offer something not being offered by the Japanese companies. It's why GTO is a Holden-Lutz wanted something fast. No time for R&D when you're trying to bob and weave.
ABS has been on production cars for a decade and it has not gained universal acceptance. So, it is logical to assume that traction control is as effective now. Therefore, RWD disadvantages in the snow will only be alleviated somewhat.

BMW has been selling the RWD's continuously. It seems that they don't have a corner on the car market.

No, OPEC (or the oil companies) will put the squeeze on again and everybody will be lining up to buy the hybrids.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts