GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it as the new Ram looks exactly the same as it did in 2002. I mean the big changes are a new front end and interior along with the Coil over rear end.. I know the F-150 is pretty much the same but at least it looks modern.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Exterior styling changes in full size trucks have been evolutionary since the 1997 Ford, 1994 Dodge and let's just say a long time in the GM trucks.

The rear suspension and interior in the Ram, along with the 5.7 hp, are big deals. What do you want? I know it's brand new, but until someone leapfrogs it, the 2009 Ram is the best half-ton truck out there.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Exterior styling changes in full size trucks have been evolutionary since the 1997 Ford, 1994 Dodge and let's just say a long time in the GM trucks.

The rear suspension and interior in the Ram, along with the 5.7 hp, are big deals. What do you want? I know it's brand new, but until someone leapfrogs it, the 2009 Ram is the best half-ton truck out there.
I actually drove one not long ago and compared to the Silverado I thought it handled horribly. I was trying to see how it would handle turns when it is slippery (from water) and the back end would just not want to sit and always wanted to give out. I found T/C to be mediocre at best and the overall right to be missing out on some refining.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

If anything the 1988 Chevy/GMC GMT400 p/ups were the trucks that were evolutionary, with the Ford and Dodge playing catch-up in the styling dept. Pickups prior to that were square, and slab sided. The GMT400's had a semi-rounded front end that is the norm for todays pickups and was most likely the inspiration for the 97 F150's

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Since the Ram introduced the Freightliner inspired design back in 1994 (I believe), the Ram has made steady progress in gaining sales away from GM and Ford.

My theory is, they wanted to stick with what works. For what it's worth.....I actually agree with you. I think it looks almost the exact same as the model it replaces. But I do like the idea of coils in the rear, but until I have driven one, I won't call it superior or inferior. The interior seems to have improved materials....but the busy look is getting old to me. I prefer GM's simple approach to interior design over Ford's complicated, busy look....now copied by Dodge.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
When I test drove trucks last year (I drove all the full sizers), the Silverado and Sierra were by far the best riding and handling trucks out there. That combined with best in class fuel economy and a good warranty sold me on the truck.

The Toyota had more power. The Ford and Dodge had better styling and the Dodge had a superior warranty and more rear seat room. The Nissan was much cheaper and had cleaner, nicer dealerships. The Chevrolet was kind of the best all around. Each truck had their good points....it's just that I personally.

I'll have to drive the new Ram to see if it rides/handles as good as the new Silverado. The truth is that the previous Ram was so far behind in the ride and handling department that right now I assume that this is a way to finally catch up to GM and Ford.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I have not been a fan of the Ram's "big rig" looks since they came out with it in 1994. But something about this one makes me love it. Like thye finally got it right IMO. I think it is the best looks truck on the market now. Only the GMC Sierra and especially Denali looks about as good, and nothing else comes close! The new Ford does not look modern, it looks like ASS! The last one looked pretty good, and they evolved it into something fugly, like they did with the Super Duty. The saddle bags option is interesting too, and I'd like to see what the rear coils feel like.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
If anything the 1988 Chevy/GMC GMT400 p/ups were the trucks that were evolutionary, with the Ford and Dodge playing catch-up in the styling dept. Pickups prior to that were square, and slab sided. The GMT400's had a semi-rounded front end that is the norm for todays pickups and was most likely the inspiration for the 97 F150's
Dodge was an also-ran in 1988 and Ford was the long-time leader at that point. GM's move in 1988 was their attempt at being ground-breaking but it did little more than cement their position in second place. Dodge, on the other hand, made the ground-shaking move in 1994 when the Ram was all-new. Moving from one plant to three is success whereas GM just filled their existing plants. And Ford continued to lead for almost a decade after the GMT400 redesign before they seriously restyled their trucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts

It looks like a Dakota! Yuk! Best 1/2 ton out there is the Tundra hands down. With 4:30 gearing that beast actually gets the 381HP to the wheels! GMC or Toy IMO is where its at :dro:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
It looks like a Dakota! Yuk! Best 1/2 ton out there is the Tundra hands down. With 4:30 gearing that beast actually gets the 381HP to the wheels! GMC or Toy IMO is where its at :dro:
You're gonna say the Tundra is the best looking truck on the market in your second ever post here? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Just my opinion. I also love the look of the new Chevy. Usually I like GMC front ends more (especially for lowering) but that new fat chevy chrome grill has me droolin! :dro:
Oh ok. So you're not a Troll...you're just weird. :eek: Well that's ok, I guess. I thknk the new Silverado looks terrible and the GMC looks great. I kinda wanted a Sierra instead of my Silverado, but when they first came out I didn't like the GMT-800 Sierra grille. I got to liking it, but that has not happened with the GMT-900s. But I'd like to get an Avalanche for my next vehicle and I think the Chevy SUV grilles are much better than the GMC ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh ok. So you're not a Troll...you're just weird. :eek: Well that's ok, I guess. I thknk the new Silverado looks terrible and the GMC looks great. I kinda wanted a Sierra instead of my Silverado, but when they first came out I didn't like the GMT-800 Sierra grille. I got to liking it, but that has not happened with the GMT-900s. But I'd like to get an Avalanche for my next vehicle and I think the Chevy SUV grilles are much better than the GMC ones.
Well...I'd definately take this:

over this:

Don't you agree?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coil rear suspension. If you believe the hype and reviews, its the best riding full size truck. I haven't driven it - but if it lives up to that - its a big deal.
True that! And to beat GM's ride IS a BIG deal (if its true). But to do it by neutering your truck with coils vs. a real truck's leaf for capacity issues is not worth it. GM has the best balance of ride vs. payload of anything out there.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Dodge was an also-ran in 1988 and Ford was the long-time leader at that point. GM's move in 1988 was their attempt at being ground-breaking but it did little more than cement their position in second place. Dodge, on the other hand, made the ground-shaking move in 1994 when the Ram was all-new. Moving from one plant to three is success whereas GM just filled their existing plants. And Ford continued to lead for almost a decade after the GMT400 redesign before they seriously restyled their trucks.
If you combine Chevrolet and GMC sales they have been equal to or surpassed Ford numbers for quite some time now. Regardless the GMT400 influenced the designs of both Ford and Dodge. The aftermarket for trucks really started to explode after the intro of the GMT400. Dealerships started selling modified/lowered trucks because of the then new GMT400 design was the hot ticket at the time. Sure Ford sold a ton of trucks, but the Chevys and GMC's were suddenly becoming the vehicle of choice with customizers and were now considered for personal transportation as opposed to something someone bought because they needed a work truck. Dodge had to make a big change or continue on selling trucks at the pace of around 50k-70k units a year, which is a far cry from what GM and Ford were doing. As far as GM just filling their existing plants, that may be true, but combined yearly sales for chevy/gmc for all those plants were in the range of 3/4 of a million vehicles. Dodge has never come close to those numbers. The fact of the matter is both Ford and Dodge saw the success of the GMT400 and how people were now using them for personal transporation and they jumped on the bandwagon, and their designs changed to accomodate this new market and its potential. Was the 88 Chevy groundbreaking? If you ask the aftermarket I think you would hear a resounding yes.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts