GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
International Fall Cold Testing on His Vest (Tim Grewe). (12:17)

That's where I live, well CDN side, if it was tested there, it was Cold, especially 2021/22 Winter (still ice in the lake). 2020/2021 Winter, not so cold. If it was Ultium, well I never heard, saw, or even a rumor about it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Cory Steuben of Munro & Associates sure didn't seem impressed with Ultium saying it's five to seven years too late. He also wants to see no cobalt in the chemistry. Battery recipes haven't come close to narrowing on a mix of ingredients. A single "best design" seems many years away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cory Steuben of Munro & Associates sure didn't seem impressed with Ultium saying it's five to seven years too late. He also wants to see no cobalt in the chemistry. Battery recipes haven't come close to narrowing on a mix of ingredients. A single "best design" seems many years away.
Yeah, this chucklehead wants to see zero cobalt (> a 70% reduction isn't good enough), wants battery pack costs below $100/kWh, in a tried and true tested automotive application, and he wants it yesterday.

Also, where is the anti-gravity feature?

I guess GM just isn't up to par with this Ultium technology.

·
Registered
130 Posts
International Fall Cold Testing on His Vest (Tim Grewe). (12:17)

That's where I live, well CDN side, if it was tested there, it was Cold, especially 2021/22 Winter (still ice in the lake). 2020/2021 Winter, not so cold. If it was Ultium, well I never heard, saw, or even a rumor about it.
Weren't Rocky and Bullwinkle from Frostbite Falls? Although, I think they were from the southern side of the border, eh?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
A good gauge of things and people with their feelings on this would be to go reading through the commentary under the video at the link. :D
I just went there. It's all anti-GM. These people hate American companies, hate free enterprise, and hate America in general. Sad.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
There were several things brought up during that report that are actually very good news for GM and explains justifies GM's prediction that it will eventually dominate the sale of EVs.

One of the things was staring me in the face, but I did not put it together watching that report. This is the fact that Ultium's battery chemistry agnosticism makes it unnecessary for GM to manufacture and stock replacement battery pouches based on obsolete technology. If you need new pouches, then you or your mechanic can use pouches made using current technology. This is a huge cost savings for GM. It is also insurance for the buyer that his or her Ultium-based vehicle can be kept on the road for decades.

Cory Steuben's comments were intended to rain on GM's parade. However, the same water makes the flowers bloom and the lawn green. He said that what GM is doing is late; and that other manufacturers are already doing it. Steuben did not say that what GM is doing is wrong. Implicit in his comments is the conclusion that GM is doing the right thing late. Obviously, there are other veteran automobile manufacturers that are behind GM. There are also veteran manufactures that are following different strategies than GM. The implication of this is that many veteran manufacturers are doing it later, doing it wrong, or both.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,546 Posts
One of the things was staring me in the face, but I did not put it together watching that report. This is the fact that Ultium's battery chemistry agnosticism makes it unnecessary for GM to manufacture and stock replacement battery pouches based on obsolete technology. If you need new pouches, then you or your mechanic can use pouches made using current technology. This is a huge cost savings for GM. It is also insurance for the buyer that his or her Ultium-based vehicle can be kept on the road for decades.
That right there I believe is key. And if it pans out it could really be a boon to this system and their ease of use or acceptability long term as far as their upkeep and such. :) :)

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've grown a little disillusioned with Munro lately. They seem to have become biased lately against legacy auto companies. Plus at one time Sandy was praising the Bolt, and recently has done a 180.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can't mix and match new and old battery modules.

They have to be at similar voltages. This changes over time as they degrade.

Replacing modules on old cars will be done from the junk yard or likely independent shops doing remanufacturing jobs.

As of now the only cobalt free chemistry that works for electric vehicles is lithium iron phosphate(LFP). This is good for entry level low/standard range cars. Tesla Model 3 standard range sold in the USA uses LFP, Chinese companies own all the intellectual property for LFP. The Koreans and Japanese didn't pursue this tech because it did not look promising. The Chinese government insisted and subsidized Chinese battery cell companies pursue this technology because it used widely available materials and was almost impossible to catch fire.

Tesla is transitioning from modular packs to "cell to pack" technology. Tesla claims this lowers weight and allows cells to be structural components instead of being carried by the car "like a sack of potatoes."

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,711 Posts
A single "best design" seems many years away.
There is never be a single best design.
Automakers have always done their own thing and will continue to do so.
This is a foolish "against" argument.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts