GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think paying PST ( sales tax 8%) on used cars is a tax grab.
Taxes should only be paid once
Do you think we could get the government to stop this. lol.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by airbalancer@Mar 12 2004, 05:27 PM
Do you think we could get the government to stop this. lol.
good thing you laughed... if you'd kept a straight face i'da come over there and kicked your a$$! hahaha! of course there's no way to get them to stop. it's most certainly a tax-grab, and when's the last time you knew a government to ungrab something?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The taxes are ridiculous. But you can't fight taxes.

In Quebec:
I recently bought a 1995 Oldsmobile LSS. I paid $3000. When I went to register the car, they used a "Red Book" to assess a value. They assessed the car at $7000. So, they made me pay tax on $7000.

About 3 months later, I sold the car for around what I paid for it ($3000). The person I sold it to then had to pay tax on $7000 when they registered it.

So, the Quebec governement collected tax back in 1995 when the car was originally sold (for approx $25000). Then collected it at least 2 more times (maybe more, if there were other owners in between).

So to my knowledge, the government made at least $2925 on this car. That's probably more than the dealer made. That's not right.

That Red Book value really screws the buying public.

If an item has been taxed, it shouldn't be taxed again. Plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 12 2004, 06:31 PM
That Red Book value really screws the buying public.
when do they go by the red book value? i bought a car a few years back... paid $1200, but when i went to transfer the title i claimed i paid $200 (i know, i know!). the agent didn't bat an eye, and took my $20 fee. how did i get away with that? he didn't even ask for a recipt or proof that i paid $200.

(if i don't post for a while, it's because my jail cell doesn't have internet access! :eek: )

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Depends on the age of the car. If it's more than 10 years, they go by whatever you tell them. Under 10 years, they go by Red Book (at least in Quebec).

Red Book, for those that don't know, is FULL RETAIL price for used cars. It doesn't reflect mileage or anything like that. I don't think cars EVER sell for Red book value.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Mar 12 2004, 07:33 PM
Depends on the age of the car. If it's more than 10 years, they go by whatever you tell them. Under 10 years, they go by Red Book (at least in Quebec).

Red Book, for those that don't know, is FULL RETAIL price for used cars. It doesn't reflect mileage or anything like that. I don't think cars EVER sell for Red book value.
ah thanks. makes sense now. the car was 16 years old. note to self... only buy used cars 10 years old and older!

·
Registered
756 Posts
What really gets me is when you go to the auto junkyard to get a part and you have to pay GST(7%) and PST(8%) on that part from a scraped car. :flush:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Mar 15 2004, 01:36 AM
Yes, you are getting ripped off.

The problem is, people vote these evil politicans into office under the premise of more government services.

In the long run, I only vote for politicans who promise to cut taxes and cut spending. The rest of them should all be burnt at the stake.
guess that's all one can do... though those promises don't hold much water. the GST is still around, after all... thanks jean!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts