GM Inside News Forum banner

Why can't we get the parts we need?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Bran 
#1 ·
Dear Pontiac Division of General Motors,

I work for a Pontiac Buick GMC store in Elkton, MD. We've been in business over 50 years. The reason I start off with that is because our customers know us and trust us to do right by them. That being said, when will you start to do right by us, as well as the customer?
We're selling the Pontiac G8 sedans. The people who buy them, love them. We have one that needs a new gas cap. Of course, there is not one to be found in the continental United States. Another needs a new ignition cylinder....GM told us to give the customer a loaner for 6 weeks, while we wait for one to come by boat from Australia.
My question is this; Why can't someone from GM contact someone from Holden in Australia, which is who makes the G8, and have them FedEx us this gas cap and ignition cylinder? Am I correct to understand that GM would rather foot a bill for a loaner car, even a Cadillac is what they told us, than simply make a phone call overseas? Is it any wonder you burn through a billion dollars a month?
GM, your shining light is dying. It's a result of not using any type of common sense. I hope it's not too late for you, but seeing this, I realize it is.

#2 ·
Johnny, you've just scratched the surface of our parts problems.

The problem is that GM doesn't stock parts anymore. Back in the early eighties some moron came up with "just in time" parts delivery. Basically GM frees up money they would tie up in parts inventory by not having any. Even the assembly plants rely on getting their parts right before the vehicle is built.

If a part for a warranty repair is not available and the customer's car is not driveable, GM wants to put them in a loaner/rental. Here's the fun part. GM won't pay for the loaner and overnight parts shipping too.

So you have the choice of eating the overnight parts rental and getting the customer out of the rental, or just leaving them in the rental for what could be another week. GM would rather spend another $200 bucks on rental than pay the dealer the $12.95 for overnight shipping. Talk about stupid.

#3 ·
One of the larger reasons I chose not to keep the GTO. I was out of warranty already when I discovered play in both tie rods. Dealer said they are on backorder. Fortunately for me, I have a spare car, the Explorer. GTO sat for 5 weeks, no end in sight. I went back to the dealer and appealed to their common decency--asked them if they could tell me if any dealers in the area had a set. Guy tried to make me feel bad by mentioning he wasn't making any money for all the trouble (20 seconds of typing), but to his credit he came through for me, finding two dealers with one each. After waiting so long I was glad I got them, despite having to drive all over Chicagoland to get them.

At the time they were still building Commodores/Monaros/GTO's. Thank goodness I never wrecked it; there was a guy on LS1GTO who was rearended & needed something like the floorpan replaced. Insurance co wouldn't total the car since it was under a certain % of value, and the part was shown as a replacement part. Trouble was, it was not stocked anywhere and there was some reason GM NA wasn't able to even say if they could get it. Don't know what ever happened to the guy.

#4 ·
One of the biggest concerns I have about my GTO is the ability to find spare parts...both now and years into the future. Hopefully by then the way guys are totalling them out there should be plenty on the "pick-and-pull" lots.

#5 ·
Having to buy a brand new cup holder door ($170) when only the latch is bad is crazy too. Other manufacturers have a part# for every nut and bolt. We cannot live in a disposable world anymore.

Also tell me why a wheel bearing and simple hall sensor costs $250

I hate being nickle and dimed to death after spending over $50,000 on a vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.