GM Inside News Forum banner

Why buy American?

4K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  geronimo66 
#1 ·
I realize I risk beating a dead horse by even posing the question, but I'm interested in something a little more thought-through than simply "Buy American, Yes or No?"...

#2 ·
I have owned both Japanese and American cars. I have been fortunate enough that I have never had any serious problems with either.

My criteria for car purchase:
1) Price
2) Body style
3) Design age
4) Style
5) Perceived status
6) Value

When I buy a car, first I shop by price. I can immediately narrow down my selection that way. I wouldn't consider a Ferrari, as I can't afford it.
I wouldn't consider a Chevy Aveo or hyundai Accent, as they are too cheap. You get a budget, and you shop for a car in that range.

Once I know my price range, I shop for body style. I can knock off pickup trucks, and minivans. Convertibles, and hatchbacks. I prefer AWD, I prefer 4 doors.

3rd criteria is age. I don't want a car that will be replaced next year with a new design. (I wouldn't buy a grand am or Mustang this year, etc... knowing that an all-new design is around the corner)

Actual looks is what matters next. In my opinion, the Aztek, element, Maxima, are not nice looking designs. I wouldn't want one of those. That narrows down the field even more

Next is perceived status. This may be an ego thing. Although Hyundai has changed (for the better) by leaps and bounds in the last 10 years, I still wouldn't buy one just because of the negative connotations that come with owning one (yes, this actually knocks GM off of a lot of people's lists as well).

Next is value. I want the most for my money. If I can get a top-model car (leather, sunroof, etc...) for the price of a more expensive "base" model car, I'll go for the one with the goodies. That would mean I'd get a fully loaded Grand Am instead of a base model GP or Bonneville. at this point I compare feature for feature vs dollar between the companies. Altima vs Malbu? What gives me the most for the least?

After these 6 steps, I pretty much have narrowed down my choice to only a couple of choices.

At that point, it's actual ride quality, etc...

I don't think that "country of origin" ever really crosses my mind in the entire choosing process.

Does it matter to me where the money ends up? No. When I purchase a car I only care about what it gives me, not what it does for everyone else. Would I want people to lose jobs? No, of course not, but as long as it doesn't affect me directly, it's not really my problem. This might make me a jerk, but that is my right.

I don't smoke. Smoking kills. I don't go around telling people not to smoke. Do people die because of this? Quite possibly. Would I rather someone die than lose their job? No, of course not.

If North America ever goes into a crazy recession, then maybe I'll feel bad for not taking more pride in buying American. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

(in the meantime the car in my driveway is made in the USA)

#4 ·
My vote is none of the above.
Americans work for Toyota, Nissan, Honda, the profits of these companies go to their shareholders. The shareholders can be anyone who purchases the stock. The rationale of buying a car because where it is built is timely with the entire 'outsourcing' American jobs to cheaper markets being a election issue.
If people still buy American for patriotic or economic reasons that is fine but I doubt they carry this idea to everything they buy. For example how many TVs are made in the USA?
Loyalty to a manufacturer or a country is and always will be subjective or irrational. Reasons can be created or justified but it is still subjective.

#6 ·
I will never own a foreign car! Not becuase I am a GM fan, but they are too costly! People think they are getting a good deal becuase the sticker is cheap, but then you have to have the frickin thing serviced ALL THE TIME and you usually have to take it to the dealer and it costs a lot!

Example: To have 4 spark plugs changed on a Toyota Echo, it costs $84 and the spark plugs are $1.70 each!! And it takes about 30 min!!!! (You have to change the plugs every 30K miles too!!!!)

#7 ·
Originally posted by Canuck@Apr 19 2004, 10:50 AM
If you are going to make 'fun' of Canadians saying 'EH' at least spell 'EH' correctly.

Have you ever noticed how Americans say HUH, this is not meant as a shot rather just an observation.
I actually had it spelled that way at first, but then figured that those darn Americans wouldn't be able to understand it unless it was spelled out, huh. :D

#9 ·
Meh. As a Canadian (it's "EH" damnit!!) - all cars here are imports so I can't support a domestic auto manufacturer that simply doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

But - given the fact that my old man prefered GM over Ford (a Ford dealership pissed him off ages ago and thus saw the light!) - i'd say that his preference for GM has rubbed off onto me. Therefore - after learning of all the great things GM has done and how powerful they are - I've thrown myself at GM until they make some huge mistake and blow all their money on green hair tonic.

But my eye still likes the old Datsun Z's and older MR2's.

#13 ·
buying american just because "it's made in the usa" is to some extent the worse thing you can do to gm or ford. they need to become competitive (and they did lately), and this only happens when sales are starting to get lower.

all in all, when I buy a car I'm looking for the following things:

1- what is my budget (let's say 8k) this budget will allow either a 2 year old accent or a 11 year old deville to name the extremes...
2- looks, looks, looks;
3- value, substance (big v8, leather, etc);
4- average spare parts price and overall reliability.

I'm proud to say that both my cars (ever owned) are GM. The competition, at least in the used car segment is NOWHERE NEAR!

#14 ·
Where's the choice for "A higher percentage of Honda and Toyota vehicles sold in the USA were built in the USA than those made by GM, and GM is trying their damndest to move their part content overseas to Korea while Honda and Toyota already source the majority of most of their cars from American parts and the percentage increases every year"?

#15 ·
Originally posted by Threxx@Apr 20 2004, 07:12 AM
Where's the choice for "A higher percentage of Honda and Toyota vehicles sold in the USA were built in the USA than those made by GM, and GM is trying their damndest to move their part content overseas to Korea while Honda and Toyota already source the majority of most of their cars from American parts and the percentage increases every year"?
That's a valid point that is often discussed when this topic comes up, but the poll itself is intended to address the more traditional "Detroit vs. imports" debate.

#17 ·
I buy American!

This includes the Honda Accord, Civic Coupe, Odyssey, Pilot, Nissan Maxima, Xterra, Frontier, Titan, Altima, Quest, Armada, Infinity QX56, BMW X5, Z4, Mercedes M-Class, Toyota Camry, Corolla, Tundra, Tacoma, 4-Runner, Solara, Voltz (JDM), Matrix, etc.

This excludes the Dodge Ram SRT-10, Ram HD, Intrepid, Ford Focus ZX3, ZX5, F-150 Heritage, Lightning, Crown Victoria, Freestar, Buick Regal, Century, Rendezvous, Cadillac Escalade EXT, ESV, Chevrolet Aveo, Impala, Monte Carlo, Avalance, Silverado SS, most Silverado half-ton Ext. Cabs, most Suburbans, Equinox, Tracker, most GMC Yukon XLs, most Sierra half-ton Ext. Cabs, Pontiac GTO, Aztek, Mercury Marauder, Grand Marquis, etc.

I always look at the VIN and Content Label when I consider a new car. To me American-Made cars convey pride in my country and fellow Americans, but American nameplates on foriegn cars invoke disgust. I know many consider Canada to be part of the US, but ask any Canadian, they don't want to be the US nor do they live in the USs shadow. I like foriegn cars, because they're proud of their product and themselves, not proud of the money they can make by sending many of thier jobs to other countries to make a buck then import back a "domestic" car and sell it as "domestic." For example, Hyundai in South Korea.

Andrew

#18 ·
Originally posted by AndrewGS@Apr 20 2004, 04:16 PM
I buy American!

I always look at the VIN and Content Label when I consider a new car. To me American-Made cars convey pride in my country and fellow Americans, but American nameplates on foriegn cars invoke disgust. I know many consider Canada to be part of the US, but ask any Canadian, they don't want to be the US nor do they live in the USs shadow. I like foriegn cars, because they're proud of their product and themselves, not proud of the money they can make by sending many of thier jobs to other countries to make a buck then import back a "domestic" car and sell it as "domestic." For example, Hyundai in South Korea.
Amen to that! :ph34r:

#20 ·
<_<

Oh puh-leeze. This isn't critical thinking; it's grandstanding about the same tired arguments that come up when someone asks for opinions about import vs. domestic brands.

Sorry, had to say it.

Don't get me wrong. It's a valid issue and I'm all for discussing it. I just naturally get the strong urge to react at watching someone getting away with, for example, implying that GM SUV's aren't built in Arlington Texas, then watching him being egged on by the cheerleader section.

#21 ·
In the end you could ask yourself few very simple, basic questions:

- are you proud with your car?
- when someone asks what do you drive, you say it loud and clear with pride?
- as you leave the car into the parking lot you turn your head and take a look at it?
- you have a big smile while behind the wheel?

I could get on some more, but you get the ideea... My cars wich make me that happy are american, and that's what counts...

#22 ·
I did not vote because the main reason is not on the board....

it is the best car for the money that I can buy.

Value is an equation that includes features, performance, design, cost of ownership, price, and more. It is different for each buyer to some extent.

All of the vehicles I own (or have owned) have been the best value for the money at the time of purchase.

Just to provide some context.... I have a 2004 Impala, a 2003 Avalanche, a 1999 Camaro SS and a 1983 Monte Carlo SS.

All were the best combination of the factors that mattered most to me at the time of purchase.

I don't find it necessary to say that patriotism drives my purchase... I feel that the products speak for themselves, even if they were built in Mexico or Canada.

#24 ·
I think that slogans like "Made in America" and "it's Japanese" are the stupidest things ever. I buy whatever I want to buy based on my criteria. There are just some cars out there that are better than others so that's what one should get, not because it's supporting the economy or it's overrated. Don't take any offense to this, but I really dislike people who say things like "Oh, Lexus is the worst company...why do people buy them" or "I hate American cars - they're so unreliable" or "eww, Japanese can't design cars" or "American cars use OLD pushrods". BLAH BLAH BLAH. Turn the corner people...

#25 ·
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Apr 20 2004, 06:23 PM
<_<

Oh puh-leeze. This isn't critical thinking; it's grandstanding about the same tired arguments that come up when someone asks for opinions about import vs. domestic brands.

Sorry, had to say it.

Don't get me wrong. It's a valid issue and I'm all for discussing it. I just naturally get the strong urge to react at watching someone getting away with, for example, implying that GM SUV's aren't built in Arlington Texas, then watching him being egged on by the cheerleader section.
The only SUVs built in a Arlington are the Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, and the few-and-far-between Quadrasteer-equipped Suburbans and Yukon XLs. Most Suburbans, Yukon XLs, all Avalanches, Escalade EXTs ans ESVs are made in Mexico. The quality is lower on the Mexican-built trucks than on American-built trucks, I know this first hand.

It's people like most of you who've made this situation as bad as it is today. You don't care about anyone but yourselves, as long as you're happy with your car you could care less if it was built by underpaid workers in another country and shut an American family out of their home because they lost their job at the auto factory.

Andrew :frankie:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.