GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never understand why buick killed their successful grand nation progam. I am sure if they still had it today it would have saved buicks image. So why not bring it back. Like they brought the gto back. Why not even take the gto platform and put the good old buick 3.8 V6 and turbo into it. singature black paint and some retro 80s grand national wheels, agressive looks. This is what i want to see. It could save buick. think about a GNX model with the vent ports on the side. could be one hell of a car.

If someone is good with photo shop i definatly want to see a grandnation based on the gto. Buick has a unique turbo charged heritage, why not use it.

Alan

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Look, guys: the Grand Nationals were great cars, insane cars even, but they didn't really contribute to making Buick Buick. Buick's core buyers didn't get interested in the Grand Nationals and weren't inspired by them. GNs pulled in a few people who wouldn't have dreamed of owning a Buick. The GNs were a sideshow, albiet a very entertaining one. Reviving the GN now won't make Buick capable of surviving the 21st century.

Products like the LaCrosse, and a big comfortable sedan that gives the buyer a Lex-arse quality product, with the same attributes (a V8 and RWD) for substantially less money will.

GN nostalgia is nice, but it's not a solution to Buick's current problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Apr 3 2004, 12:43 PM
Look, guys: the Grand Nationals were great cars, insane cars even, but they didn't really contribute to making Buick Buick. Buick's core buyers didn't get interested in the Grand Nationals and weren't inspired by them. GNs pulled in a few people who wouldn't have dreamed of owning a Buick. The GNs were a sideshow, albiet a very entertaining one. Reviving the GN now won't make Buick capable of surviving the 21st century.

Products like the LaCrosse, and a big comfortable sedan that gives the buyer a Lex-arse quality product, with the same attributes (a V8 and RWD) for substantially less money will.

You hit the nail right on the head. B)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Would you go as far as to say "What Buick's Grand National Turbo was to the 80's was what Buick's Gran Sport Stage I was to the early 70's"? A successfull attempt at the musclecar market.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, since there havent been a RWD car in Buicks line up outside of the Roadmaster since the 80's, there isnt much room for a mega hp muscle car. There is the Regal GS that used a supercharged 3.8 and with some mods can do soem serious damage. Mid 13's with a 1-2k in mods down from high 14's is pretty good. Only now is there a RWD car coming to Buick. the Velite uses a twin turbo 3.6 making 400hp. I would rather Buick hold off for a GN till there is a RWD chassis.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Apr 3 2004, 05:43 PM

Thats why the Buick Velite doesnt have a turbo V6. Right?

Oh wait....it has two turbos and 400hp.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
504 Posts
This whole "its not Buick's Image" is crap.

Buick's image is what Buick makes it. If they make elegant, powerful, stylish cars then they will have the image of elegant, powerful, smooth, stylish cars. Wait...that sounds familiar....like a brand GM had at one point. What brand was that? Oh yes, BUICK.

Buick can sell cars that young people like, as well as old people. Automakers are constantly trying to attract younger buyers.

If old people want a boring car with soft suspension, its alloweable to offer mutliple tunings for suspensions on a single model. Or better yet, offer a large soft car along side other "harder edge" cars. LeSabre VS Regal GS.....hmmmmm...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree that buick needs a badboy in their lineup. Also, I would love to see at least the return of those all-black, little or no chrome T-types with sport suspension.
Maybe the velite is the answer...

"Going fast with class!"

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Originally posted by SS4EVER@Apr 4 2004, 12:47 AM
Would you go as far as to say "What Buick's Grand National Turbo was to the 80's was what Buick's Gran Sport Stage I was to the early 70's"?  A successfull attempt at the musclecar market.
Yes, I would. (Though I wouldn't call them a successful attempt to get into the performance market - Buicks, while always fine performers, never stood for performance as such.)

And I would go further, and say that the GNs for all their virtues, were to Buick as a fish is to a bicycle. That is, very little connection.

Stick with Buick = Lex-arse. That's the way forward. Don't try to play BMW.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA+Apr 4 2004, 06:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AMcA @ Apr 4 2004, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SS4EVER@Apr 4 2004, 12:47 AM
Would you go as far as to say "What Buick's Grand National Turbo was to the 80's was what Buick's Gran Sport Stage I was to the early 70's"?  A successfull attempt at the musclecar market.
Yes, I would. (Though I wouldn't call them a successful attempt to get into the performance market - Buicks, while always fine performers, never stood for performance as such.)

And I would go further, and say that the GNs for all their virtues, were to Buick as a fish is to a bicycle. That is, very little connection.

Stick with Buick = Lex-arse. That's the way forward. Don't try to play BMW. [/b][/quote]
Even Lexus has the IS and SC.

Sorry, you got no arguement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would deffenitley love to see another verison of the turbo charged grand national, it was an excellent car with remarkable acceleration 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. As much as i wanna see another grand national it wont happen because buicks buyers average age is in the 60's the oldest in the industry.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by atlantaballer101@Apr 5 2004, 02:09 AM
I would deffenitley love to see another verison of the turbo charged grand national, it was an excellent car with remarkable acceleration 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. As much as i wanna see another grand national it wont happen because buicks buyers average age is in the 60's the oldest in the industry.
Look what Caddy has done. We can keep saying the same stuff over and over, but perceptions change. Go look at a early 90's Caddy and a early 90's lexus. If I told you back in 1990 that Lexus would be one of the top luxury cars in the world, you would laugh and say "no *** cars can catch up with Caddy in luxury".
If I told you 20 years ago that the toyota camry would beat out the domestics in sales and be america's #1 seller, you would have laughed.
If I told you 25 years ago that the Honda Civic would be a cult classic with young kids and how they hop them up and try to make them fast, you would have made a mess of your pants. If 35-40 years ago that the muscle cars would go away, GM would have less then 30% market share,and imports will dominate the domestics in quality and luxury, You would have locked me up.

The only thing that remains constant, is change.

after all that, I would rock this twin turbo buick up and down any pos lexus that crosses my path...and I'll do it in style and luxury that only Buick can provide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts