GM Inside News Forum banner

Who would be better for the CEO position at GM?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am slowly losing my faith in Wagoner. It seems like he put too much faith in the sales of SUV's and trucks to fund his turnaround plan and no plan B just in case sales tanked big time and were not going to get the funds needed. So who would you like to see replace Wagoner? I vote for Steve Jobs. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I voted other...since I should be in charge of GM.
Kidding.
Steve Jobs would never leave his beloved Apple, Carlos Ghosn...hahaha funny, and haven't known Buickman for long enough.
Wagoner's done an OK job with the restructuring, yeah he screwed up with the SUVs/trucks, but you never know what can happen in the automotive world. Other than that, he and Lutz have brought us some pretty good products, the GMT-900s, while big, gas guzzling, and unpopular really are nice looking trucks, the Malibu, CTS, Lambdas, and the Volt in 2010. He's not the best CEO GM's ever had, but he's done all right. I do wonder, though, if someone else would do better, perhaps Lutz. Lutz seems more willing to take risks to design a good product.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I would agree with Buickman. His knowledge of sales and what makes a great dealership would give him the credibility to create high dealership standards and close down those dealerships that do not meet them.

I would give the nod to someone who knows the auto business inside and out.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Voted for Buickman, time to get some leadership at GM with realworld sales/marketing background.

As for Wagoner, I am not against him a much as some but he has got to get something going at GM and not more cut, cut, cut.

Time to build confidence with a clear vision and plan of how to get there - its his job to keep/lose. Investors won't wait forever.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Chuck Norris

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I actually voted for Bill Gates. Looking at the other options, especially Buickman, I'll rather have Bill Gates as the CEO. Steve Jobs is a control freak, controlling every aspect of Apple, Carlos Ghosen is just a cost cutter, slashing jobs and materials here and there will long wreck havoc in the long run, and Rick had a good time.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Ah man, you stole my thunder! :) I was coming here to start a thread about that. I was actually going to start it and then run, as I figured it would get ugly real quick. Plus, I don't really know who would be the best candidate right now. But one thing's for certain, if the board isn't asking the same question right now GM is doomed. I hope I'm wrong (my dad owns a ton of GM stock & he's too stubborn to get rid of it), but it's only a matter of time IMO until GM HAS to fire him like no one's ever been fired before. With that said, I believe they need someone that understands manufacturing... but absolutely not another CLOWN from within the industry. Especially not a clown associated with the guy that could very well HAVE ALREADY bankrupted GM.

I guess you can see now why I thought "my" thread would get ugly. Sorry for the rant, but...

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I would like to see Buickman on the board, but not the CEO.

AND PLEASE!! NO MORE freaking wannabe ACCOUNTANTS RUNNING GM PLEASE

I kinda like the Bill Gates idea... We need someone who knows how to compete and who is RUTHLESS. Warren Buffett is another who won't tolerate fools. Who can cut through crap and can WIN.

We read one post after another about GM's restructuring.... bla bla bla...

We need a HUGE shake up of GM upper and middle management.

Edit The roundhouse kick was one of the funniest posts I've read on here in a long time!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Something deep down inside my soul wanted me to edit all these posts to say "Big Al and the rest of the GMI Mods and Admins" as well as make a poll showing such support....

Who should run GM? Not Buickman. Im sure he's a nice guy, but his plan does nothing in my eyes outside of help dealers continue doing what they do worst.

I dont think Lutz should run GM either. I dont think that Rick is doing that bad of a job. Right now, its a perfect storm of crap for this economy. Even if gas prices were at 2.50 or so, the economy is falling down far enough to where people would be tough to think about purchasing $40-50k SUV's when people are being kicked out of thier houses.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I say former Exxon CEO Jabba the Hutt

He knew how to turn a profit while still crying about not making enough money, plus look at that awesome waddle.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
right now GM is in the eye of the storm and I really dont know who would risk taking the Top Honcho at GM and I think thats why the board has not fired Rick, IMO Rick and Bob have done good that they have repaired GM cars and can compete with their competition but even with that GM keeps going down and I think that Rick himself needs to do what Bill Ford did and that its find a guy that know how to turn a company, hell lets see if the mighty savior Ghosn would like to try.

In the current conditions the new GM CEO needs to first consolidate chinese buicks with US buick, forget about Saturn and give the darn Astra to Chevrolet as the Cobalt replacement and bring the Corsa as the Aveo

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
I would at least like to see Buickman on the board of directors.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I thought Wagoner was doing OK. I was never impressed. Taking a look at GM's current situation it's very clear they need someone amazing. And Wagoner isn't it.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Where's Lee Iacocca. Maybe he knows 'where have all the leaders gone'. GM sure needs one now.

JACKDYE in a prior post mentioned Henderson. Sorry, Fritz Henderson is stigmatized as he is from the same GM cloth

1 - 20 of 87 Posts