GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video: It’s Finally On - We Drag Race ALL The EV Trucks You Can Buy to See Which One RULES the Rest! - The Fast Lane Truck (tfltruck.com)

The contenders:

Ford Lightning Pro ($45,900) - Equipped with dual motors and a 98 kWh battery, 426 horsepower with its two electric motors, and has a projected range of 230 miles.

Ford Lightning Lariat ($81,000) - Equipped with the bigger 125 kWh battery and it makes 580 combined horsepower

Rivian R1T ($88,000) - Powered by quad motors that make a combined 835 horsepower, the smallest truck of the bunch

GMC Hummer ($114,000) - Equipped with three motors making a total of 1,000 horsepower

The results:

Race 1 - Lightning Pro beats Lightning Lariat

Race 2 - Rivian R1T decimates Lightning Pro

Race 3 - Rivian R1T catches and beats GMC Hummer because the Hummer's top speed is computer limited to 106mph

The fact that a GMC Hummer, which is ONE TON heavier, almost beat the Rivian is downright impressive. If it wasn't top speed limited, the GMC Hummer would have won.

Interesting quote from the article: "To be honest, the R1T is a favorite among many of the TFL Studios staff." A lot of people love the Rivian.

Funniest quote: "The most violent, silent, drag race I've ever seen".

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets make a "Who makes the fastest EV Truck from Houston to Chicago" you know, Charge times, Freeway Speeds, even throw in the Rubicon if needed. something relevant
They did part of that with the GMC Hummer:

Video: The New GMC Hummer EV Has a Very Fast Charging Speed, But Is It Fast Enough? - The Fast Lane Truck (tfltruck.com)

The good:
"Yes, this is the fastest-charging EV we have ever tested."

The bad:
Indeed, the GMC Hummer EV is one of the largest and heaviest electric (non-commercial) vehicles that are currently on sale. This is why the efficiency is so low.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Who cares how fast they are. Since we have broken the zero to sixty in under 10 second barrier and quarter mile in 17.5 second barrier does it matter? I mean that is the fast enough.

Now that we have mainstream vehicles doing 0-60 in 7 and 6 second brackets how much more do we need? Heck even econoboxes get to 60 in 10 seconds or so anymore.

This is why both of the new BOF GMCs are ‘only’ 5.3s, one must ask if 6.5-7.0 seconds to sixty is ‘enough’. (I also like not feeling bad running 87 octane too as the 6.2 recommends 91) It is enough for me. Just 15 or so years ago that was considered ‘quick’ especially for a BOF truck/SUV.

I am old enough to remember that and the 6.0L 2003 Silverado SS that ran to 60 in 6.6 seconds and was considered fast. Now a run of the mill crew cab 5.3L with a 4WD and the ten speed does that. The 6.2 pushes into the upper 5 second bracket. Those were C5 Corvette numbers.

The electric ones ain’t got no soul or sound. I smile each time I start one of the L84 powered GMCs and that reminds me of what made American automobiles for over the past 60 years so great the OHV V8. You can’t fake a sound or sensation. But yup they are fast but as an enthusiast we are far past need for speed now it is just stupid bragging rights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts