GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Dealer Employees section, but I'd like to get the perspective of other consumers as well...

Just had our new G6 in for its first maintenance. I was a bit floored when we picked it up and the bill was $144. All we had done was Maintenance I (which I believe is nothing but a glorified oil change and tire rotation). I really didn't expect it to be this expensive. The base price was $129 and then they charge for shop supplies on top of that. I had NEVER seen anyone charge for shop supplies until I moved to the DC area. When I worked in fixed ops (Chevy/Saturn) back in Central PA, we expended all that stuff out (brakleen, grease, rags, etc). From my experience down here, it appears to be a percentage of the bill. The first time I saw it, I refused to pay it, but after I've seen it now at 3 different shops, I have been "sucking it up".

What is everyone paying for Maintenance I and II? Are you paying "Shop Supplies" charges?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Interesting. It seems there isn't a set standard on what each dealership provides, and for what cost.

Question, did you purchase the dealership's "recommended" service?

I typically don't do that because they often overcharge (from my experience). I buy a la carte only the mx items listed in the owner's manual. But that's if I use the dealership at all...I change my oil, rotate my tires, inspect the brakes, fluids etc.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was actually not at the dealer we bought the car from (don't ask).

I have never been a fan of buying the service contracts. My experience is that they are usually filled with the superfluous stuff that is beyond what is needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Man that's nothing. When I took my 96 Caravan in for it's 49000 mile maintenance, it cost me over $600.00. I didn't buy the maintenance package, but I found out later 80% of the stuff on there list was just put on it for making money.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man that's nothing. When I took my 96 Caravan in for it's 49000 mile maintenance, it cost me over $600.00. I didn't buy the maintenance package, but I found out later 80% of the stuff on there list was just put on it for making money.
It's one thing if it's the manufacturers recommendation, but the dealer is trying to sell you on the 3mo/3k mile oil change among other things with their packages.

I'm surprised there aren't more people who follow this schedule. Maybe I'm a fool :D

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's one thing if it's the manufacturers recommendation, but the dealer is trying to sell you on the 3mo/3k mile oil change among other things with their packages.

I'm surprised there aren't more people who follow this schedule. Maybe I'm a fool :D
I'm not going to call you a fool....because you're clearly not. The "fool" is the guy who never changes his oil, then discovers at 45k miles that he has sludge!

You probably over-paid this time,but the good news is, you don't have to do it again! ;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember everyone, this isn't just an oil change. They rotate the tires as well. You may scoff that I don't do this myself, but at this point in my life, it's a major inconvenience to do this all myself.

I guess I've gotta "pay to play". I am just curious to what other people are paying for the same service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts