GM Inside News Forum banner

Which should become a Range Rover or Lexus LX competitor?

• Hummer

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Escalade

Votes: 14 46.7%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Escalade. Easy. LR and Lexus owners are not interested in the least at offroading, or even letting their tires see a gravel road. They go for the look; the "Look What I Have!" status quo.

That is what the Escalade is meant to be. Hummer is meant to be an offroader.

·
Registered
44,802 Posts
Technically... It's both.

For luxury and prestige, it's the Escalade.
For off-roading capabliity, it's the HUMMER.

But neither really come close to a direct competitor. Escalade is the Range Rover. And Hummer is part Range Rover, part Defender.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Escalade. Easy. LR and Lexus owners are not interested in the least at offroading, or even letting their tires see a gravel road. They go for the look; the "Look What I Have!" status quo.

That is what the Escalade is meant to be. Hummer is meant to be an offroader.
HAR HAR HAR. You do know lots of rich people in USA and Britain like their privacy so lots live literary off the beaten path.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
either

Hummer should be cheaper and competing with Jeep

Escalade does not need the LR level of off road provess

to be honest ,the idea of luxury off-road capable SUV's is sort of odd - if i am going off-road, I will not do in a $70k RR - I will take a $25k Wrangler instead ...

Igor

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You realize that Land Rover's reputation is quite solid when it comes to offroading too??
You realize that even the most luxurious or the sportiest of the Land Rovers are all fully offroad capable?

THey have better approach angles than even Hummers!

Yes Land Rovers are quite capable, but how many folks are really taking their Land Rover off road? The Lexus is pretty much just a tall station wagon. As long as the Escalade has 4wd and some impression of off road capabililty it can probably compete for the attention of potential Land Rover buyers.

Besides, it may be harder to convince folks that Hummers are suddenly as luxurious and of the same status as the Land Rover or Lexus.

Me, I'm sticking to my 2003 Wrangler even if jeep considers armrests a luxury. (A luxury it doesn't have).

·
Registered
44,802 Posts
Yes Land Rovers are quite capable, but how many folks are really taking their Land Rover off road? The Lexus is pretty much just a tall station wagon. As long as the Escalade has 4wd and some impression of off road capabililty it can probably compete for the attention of potential Land Rover buyers.

Besides, it may be harder to convince folks that Hummers are suddenly as luxurious and of the same status as the Land Rover or Lexus.

Me, I'm sticking to my 2003 Wrangler even if jeep considers armrests a luxury. (A luxury it doesn't have).
How many people take their Land Rovers offroad? Well, if you're looking at the Defender alone -- practically all owners.
The reputation of Land Rover is international.

BTW... Escalade doesn't have 4WD. It has AWD.

HUmmer, on the other hand, is still quite a capable off roader. But it has neither the technology and has inferior approach and departure angles than Land Rovers. And you're right, it's going to have trouble convincing people it's "luxurious."

All GM needs to do is make sure that its cars have a focus on what they do best.
Escalade, being part of Cadillac, needs to be sport oriented and quite luxurious.

Hummer, being off roading oriented, needs to be just that. Totally capable off road. So, why the luxury? WHo knows. It's not up to Land Rover quality (or Cadillac). And It's a bit better than the Jeeps.

So.... we'll see...

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
The Defender model has always been my fav Land Rover!
Its a shame it wasn't available here(to my knowledge) in the states.
I believe due to some kind of mandatory Governmental requirements. :(

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
You realize that Land Rover's reputation is quite solid when it comes to offroading too??
You realize that even the most luxurious or the sportiest of the Land Rovers are all fully offroad capable?

THey have better approach angles than even Hummers!
Note I never said they CAN'T offroad. I said many of the buyers wouldn't let it go offroad.

The Escalade CAN go offroading, too, but then they'd risk damaging those nice chrome wheels... ;)

Offroading, yes, it's Hummer, but for those who buy the vehicles, it's more Escalade.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Note I never said they CAN'T offroad. I said many of the buyers wouldn't let it go offroad.

The Escalade CAN go offroading, too, but then they'd risk damaging those nice chrome wheels... ;)

Offroading, yes, it's Hummer, but for those who buy the vehicles, it's more Escalade.

An Escalade can go off road in the same way my Accord can float.

Sure I can DRIVE it into a lake, but it probably won't last long.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
GM can't touch Range Rover. It is a unique brand, and image, and it is still only tarnished within recognition. It's like "a MINI competitor" - you cannot be a MINI competitor, because there is only one MINI and MINI sells on being a MINI. You can captialize on the rush for small premium cars, which is partly responsible for MINI's strong sales, but you can't become a MINI. That is, unless you are Lifan:

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
The Defender model has always been my fav Land Rover!
Its a shame it wasn't available here(to my knowledge) in the states.
I believe due to some kind of mandatory Governmental requirements. :(
The Defender does not have airbags - which is why it is not sold in the US anymore .... It used to be a long time ago.

Igor

·
Registered
44,802 Posts

Escalade can go on a dirt trail should the owner choose to. But don't take it on a sand dune or steep mountain roads or ford a stream.
Range Rover can go on a dirt trail should the owner choose to... AND into the sand dunes and steep mountain roads and thru the stream... and then right back onto asphalt without a care in the world.

That's the difference.

Hummer can do that too... but it's probably not gonna fit in as well at a country club like the Escalade or Range Rover.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Escalade can go on a dirt trail should the owner choose to. But don't take it on a sand dune or steep mountain roads or ford a stream.
Range Rover can go on a dirt trail should the owner choose to... AND into the sand dunes and steep mountain roads and thru the stream... and then right back onto asphalt without a care in the world.

That's the difference.

Hummer can do that too... but it's probably not gonna fit in as well at a country club like the Escalade or Range Rover.
Well ya, I wasn't meaning serious offroading for the Escalade, but it can go off the beaten path.

What I am saying it that the owners of the Escalade and Range Rover are much more similar in the fact that they want to be part of the status quo and have that upscale luxury.

Hummers are much more "uncivilized". Just you said, it's not gonna fit in as well at a country club like the Escalade or Range Rover. Point proven.

Escalade vs. Range Rover > HUMMER vs. Range Rover.

Range Rovers CAN go offroading with ease, yes. But do they? These days, with the newer ones they sell today, especially the Range Rover/RR Sport, the owner would be afraid of getting their new chrome wheels scratched up and their paint dirty.

That's the comparison these days. We aren't in the Safari, we're in upper-class America when talking about these two vehicles.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
An Escalade can go off road in the same way my Accord can float.

Sure I can DRIVE it into a lake, but it probably won't last long.
Ok, I didn't clarify that like I should have, I was not meaning serious offroad. But it can make it to the camp sight normally speaking.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I like to think of Hummer as more functional and an SUV than the Range Rover or Escalade. They are now what the Land Rover Discovery and Defender used to be and what Jeep SHOULD be.

I think the Escalade needs to nut up and get some off road credentials to go after the equally blingy Range Rover. It doesn't have to have H3 capability, but it shouldn't embarrass itself against a Range Rover.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.